PDA

View Full Version : bike wont hold a charge

Archer 900RR
June 21st, 2004, 07:08 AM
I was running the bike today and it just died. Thought it was maybe the fuel, but when I tried to start it again, it just clicked.

Pushed it back home, put the charger to it, started it later, let it run, and it just died again. tried to start it and NOTHING. not even a click.

Then I put it back on the charger for a lil bit longer, started the bike and it chugged like it was miss firing and Died again.

So im not getting a charge. battery reads fine, Stator reads fine. Do ya think it could be the rectifier?

Archer

Brent
June 21st, 2004, 08:43 AM
Check Power and groud connections

Check fluid level in the battery

Etc etc etc

Bad batteries can hide themselves and only act up under cranking.

Calkidd
June 21st, 2004, 09:38 AM
If you decide to get another battery, here is a good place to get one.

www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com

Big Kahuna
June 21st, 2004, 09:41 AM
It's my understanding, that if the vehicle dies while it's running, then it's not a problem with the battery. I did recently have a battery problem, but once I got the thing running it ran fine until I stopped. I replaced the battery and everything was fine.

Brent
June 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM
That might not always be true - as a bad battery as in dropped a cell can casue isuficent voltage across the system and the computer migth shut down - this happens in cars alot at the alternator cannot keep up with the demands at idle.

Archer 900RR
June 21st, 2004, 03:30 PM
see thats what I was thinking. because the rectifier take the AC and converts the power into DC to put in the battery. However, if the Rectifier goes out, AC Power Still flows into the battery and into the engine. which will stillrun the motor until it shuts off. I THINK!.

But I never heard of a bike shutting down while riding it or it just sitting there and the battery going dead WHILE the bike is running.

weird. I'll look into a battery

Archer 900RR
June 21st, 2004, 06:08 PM
ok, here is what is going on.

I took the battery to autozone and had them test it, however they couldnt get hook it to the big machine because it would of blown the batt. So they hooked it up to the little machine and it read that i had 13v charge. Well just before I took it there i fully charged it for about 6 hours. They couldnt get a load to the battery because the machine wasnt working right.

So I put it in the bike again, and it started right up. however I think I also have some crap in my tank thats clogging the carbs. So i have to take that apart and check out the fuel lines. I think I need to get a fuel filter in there. lol Any ways, I checked it again to see if it would start and it did. But what was going on earlier was that when i went to ride it, it died. I recharged it for about 5 mins. and it started up, it ran for about 5 mins and died. after that it would not even make a clicking noise. So I charged it for about 10 mins and it started. went to roll off and it died. wouldnt even make a click noise again.

So the battery isnt holding a charge. Im HOPING that the battery is bad because thats only $40. If the Rectifier is bad, thats $185... not cool.

Has anyone with a 95 900 ever have this problem?

Archer

Big Kahuna
June 21st, 2004, 06:15 PM
The bike won't charge the battery at all if it's below 3,000 RPMs. I would spend the extra money on a Yuasa stock replacement as the 40+ dollar one I replaced mine with only last 10 months. I had to buy two batteries in under a year.

Maybe you have two problems here. Maybe your carbs are causing you bike to stall and you're not giving your bike enough RPMs to charge.

Archer 900RR
June 21st, 2004, 07:31 PM
you are probably correct. However, I found another problem.

I took the cover off my battery. Ya know the one that says DO NOT OPEN.

Well i looked down there and it was dry! there was no fluid in there. Now this is the same battery the guy i bought the bike frome gave to me because the battery that was in it was dead. lol TO i went out and got distilled water and filled the passages up. Im going to let it sit for 20 mins and charge her up and see where we go from there. I will also take the tank off and clean the hoses and carbs out once again and see where that takes me.

Archer

Brent
June 21st, 2004, 07:35 PM
You Found Your Problem

Archer 900RR
June 21st, 2004, 07:52 PM
lol, Brent, your cool as hell, your my new online RR buddy. lol :D

yeah im hoping thats the problem.. Im charging right now.

Calkidd
June 21st, 2004, 08:09 PM
lol, Brent, your cool as hell, your my new online RR buddy. lol :D

yeah im hoping thats the problem.. Im charging right now.

Wait, wait, wait.........We're talking about the same Brent right? :D

Archer 900RR
June 21st, 2004, 10:49 PM
lol, you can be my online rr friend too. :D

Archer

Blademan
June 22nd, 2004, 06:39 AM
Geeze . . . . what about the rest of us?????

Where's da luv?!?!? :eek:

Archer 900RR
June 22nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
well it depends on how much money you have and if you let me ride your bike! lol
jk

Archer

Brent
June 22nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
Hell don;t be talking shit about me without me knowing...

:D

Secondely - if you are not female and extreamly yummy looking - ummm stay away.....

:eek:

Archer 900RR
June 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
damn Im afraid i dont have tits, and yummy, well ya know my wife says I can be. lol

Nah, Im just screwin with people.. Thanks for the help tho!

Archer

shinobi
June 23rd, 2004, 12:37 AM
now now don't make him get a sex change just so you will like him. :D sorry man i won't let you ride my bike, last time i did that i had to buy new parts.

MOTRSPRT
August 10th, 2004, 01:35 PM
you are probably correct. However, I found another problem.

I took the cover off my battery. Ya know the one that says DO NOT OPEN.

Well i looked down there and it was dry! there was no fluid in there.

Archer

Hold on here. What kind of battery do you have? Some batteries are meant to absorb the electrolyte and remain "dry". If yours said DO NOT OPEN, it is probably because it is not serviceable.
I haven't seen an update from you, so I guess everything is okay or you went ahead and replaced your battery anyway?
I am having similar problems with my 93 RR. Charging is completely non-existent. I have a new "used" stator in the bike, an R1 reg/rec, and I keep the battery charged up. Bike will start up and run, but when you blip the throttle the headlights do not brighten. Nor do they dim when you let off the gas. If I measure from the yellow wire connection when the bike is idling, I only get 8 VAC. The troubleshooting guide from Electrex says I should have 50+ VAC. Something is terribly wrong with this bike. I have another flywheel/rotor to install, except I can't get the old one off with my wheel puller...
Any insight would be nice :)
Thanks,
Kris

chrisOH
September 7th, 2004, 10:03 AM
OK i have an interesting one for you, On my way back from the Gap this weekend something strange occured.

Bike would not start after I stopped for breakfast, but there was enough power to run the electronics, so I was able to bump start it. Bike ran fine when on the expressway, however everytime I pulled up to a light if I didn't keep the RPM's up it would stall and I would have to bump start it again.

This was also after running for almost 2 hours at around 5-6k rpm straight.

I though maybe the battery wouldn't take the charge and a new battery would fix it.

So I got home and put the battery on the Battery Tender for about 6-7 hours, and the battery seemed to charge (the green storage light came on) and hold it as i took it off the tender overnight and put it back on in the morning to see if it would go back to storage again and it did.

So another option is that my altenator isn't working right and not charging the battery, and is only producing enough power to run the bike at higher rpms, as it dies when you let rpms drop to idle.

Any tips please.

Cowboy1600
September 8th, 2004, 02:52 AM
OK i have an interesting one for you, On my way back from the Gap this weekend something strange occured.

Bike would not start after I stopped for breakfast, but there was enough power to run the electronics, so I was able to bump start it. Bike ran fine when on the expressway, however everytime I pulled up to a light if I didn't keep the RPM's up it would stall and I would have to bump start it again.

This was also after running for almost 2 hours at around 5-6k rpm straight.

I though maybe the battery wouldn't take the charge and a new battery would fix it.

So I got home and put the battery on the Battery Tender for about 6-7 hours, and the battery seemed to charge (the green storage light came on) and hold it as i took it off the tender overnight and put it back on in the morning to see if it would go back to storage again and it did.

So another option is that my altenator isn't working right and not charging the battery, and is only producing enough power to run the bike at higher rpms, as it dies when you let rpms drop to idle.

Any tips please.

Regulator. I doubt it would be the alternator.

Archer 900RR
September 9th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Its your Rectifier, same problem I am having. infact I fried another one too. my connector is friend so I have to splice in a new one.... But as of now I have the bike tore apart and i checked everything, plastics and tank are in alabama getting painted, and im still in ohio.. Ugh.. but the stator wont go bad.. I mean it can, but doesnt. Its a magnet. you drop it, it will go bad.

the 900RR has a rep of having rectifiers going bad. and at $185 a pop. I dont like it at all. However, you can get a used one and be good for a while..

Hope this helps.

Archer

cuervo brazil
September 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Hi
I had that problem with the rectifier, and a friend of mine who know electronics changed a diode, charged the battery and it ran OK until I bought another rectifier.
This happened with my prior bike (CBR600F). My brother in law had the same problem, and I gave him the repaired rectifier until the new one arrived, and worked fine.
You must take of the bike the rectifier, take out the plastic protection (the rectifier is a black box that contains some parts as diodes inside, and are protected), then change the diode its burnt youo´ll fin out because the plastic protection must have a hole due to the burnt) and then fill out the space around the new diode with hot plastic or silicone, and it´s done !
Try it putting the rectifier in the bike and measuring the charge. If it holds 12 volst idle and + 14 volts at +2500 RPM should be fine.
Hope this can solve your problem.
Take care.

chrisOH
September 22nd, 2004, 06:00 AM
Well problem still isn't solved. I have put a new battery and a new rectifier on and bike still will not charge the Battery.

So now the bike is off to honda, as I don't want to start replacing things till I find it, and I don't have the equipment (and know how) to do the tests myselft.

Whatever the problem is I will let you all know.

Thanks for the help

Calkidd
September 23rd, 2004, 03:26 AM
Sounds like this problems has not been "rectified" yet..........lol :D :D :D

Blademan
September 24th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Calkidd . . . you must have been waiting a while to bust out that joke, huh?? :p

Calkidd
September 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM
See, I get home from work around 0230 hrs and the first thing I do it get on this forum.

After dealing with the shit heads all night long I need to break out some sense of humor.

Archer 900RR
October 18th, 2004, 02:24 PM
lol, rectified huh.. hahaha I like that one, I cant believe I missed it.

The only things that have anything to do with the charging system is:
A) Battery
B) Stator
C) Rectifier

Those are the only things that have anything to do with your charging system. There could be a fuse bad but who knows without diognosing it.

The stator really never goes out. I mean it can, but its a magnet. The books say it really only goes out if you drop it or slam it. Then somehow it looses its magnitism. Im not too much into science, and I havent tried it with mine just in case it is true. lol but my only problem was the rectifier was grounding out because the connecters were touching in the harness and grounding the system out.

hope you get it figured out this winter.

Archer

icyhandlz
April 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM
what is a "bump start" and how do you do it?????

Opposingrealities
April 25th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Turn your ignition on, get the bike moving (downhill), then pop it into gear. If the bike starts you will probably have to pull in the clutch so it doesn't stall out. I did this once on my 954 after killing the battery. Best thing to do would be to put the bike into 2nd gear and hold the clutch, once you get the bike moving just let out on the clutch.

lukeykookey
April 25th, 2005, 02:07 PM
You are basically using the tarmac and the rear wheel as a starter motor, once it fires either way, the bikes up and running.
Just takes some practice to get it spot on, and if it is especially cold, it can take a lot of leg muscles as well...it needs to be going about 5-10mph to effectively start!

chrisOH
April 26th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Sorry, but this problem turned out to be the Stator in the altenator went bad.

Bump starts aren't bad as long as you are on a hill, but Boy was that an exhausting ride.

akatony
June 29th, 2005, 04:30 PM
im having the same problem with my bike i replaced the regulator and the battery when i put a tester on my alternator wires it says im geting 50 ac volts and when i test it to the ground i get no continuity wtf?

robbied
September 18th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I am having the same problem as you guys,

I charge the battery up, starts with some throttle, ride the bike for about 20 minutes, try and start it again and it struggles, I have to throttle it a lot while pressing the starter. The choke doesnt help. If it doesnt start in the first couple of seconds the battery goes flat.

It was starting perfectly before I put it outside with a cover on for 3 or so weeks.

Could this be because the bike wasnt run for 3 weeks and the battery wont hold charge?

bikerdave
September 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I don't know what to say.

I've been chasing this problem since the last week-end
in Apr. of this year at the races in Fontana.

I've replaced the R/R, Stator, and battery.

I'm down to cleaning the grounds.

When I get time to put it back together, I'll have more results.

I'm also going to follow Gixer(Denis)'s advice and do what appear to
be ground tests.

Once that's done, and if I'm not up to charging at 14.5 or more I'm out of
thoughts or actions.

gixerkiller
September 18th, 2007, 10:53 PM
ok guys, let me try and get this straight for you....again......

stator.....the coil of wires and metal fixed to the cover.

if this is bad you will not charge. it can be bad on one leg and it wont charge.

output should be minimum of 30 volts ON ALL 3 LEGS.

flywheel/rotor....the magnetic silver thing on the end of the crank.

no real check for these other than putting a new one in and checking the voltage again.....if it is higher you obviously need a new one....

regulator........this goes bad and it ALWAYS takes out the stator. yes ALWAYS, sometimes not immediatly. sometimes there is a test for diodes and reststance. pirmary test.....VOLT meter on 20vdc red to positive black to negative, run the bike at 5,000rpm with the highbeam on, then run the test again at the same rpm on lowbeam. the charge rate at idle should be over 13vdc at at 5k with the highbeam on.......13.8 to 14.5 is the norm.

if it is lower the reg is dead.

the battery has no effect on the charging system unless you have a generator

the battery is the receptical of power put out by the charge system. if your batt is dead your charging system WILL NOT charge your batt. the battery is an esential part in an f.i. equiped bike and should always be at full charge with a good load test. your ecu and f.i. system need the power to work properly.

now thw thing yall overlook. wires...WIRES....... if any of the wire to the reg,stator,batt,harness, etc have ANY corrosion or are broken internaly YOUR CHARGE SYSTEM WILL NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY AND YOU WILL EAT BATTERIES.

this is how it is there are no " but what if..." it can be fixed if you think logicaly.

wardie
September 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Yesterday I was on my way from Toledo down US 23 to Mid Ohio to report on the AMA's Road Racing Championships. As I approached the split between US 23 and US 30 my speedo went dead (95' CBR 900 RR) and shortly thereafter the bike quit. At first I thought it was out of fuel but going on reserve didn't help. I pulled to the side of the road which had a ten foot berm and hit the starter button and nothing. I noticed a very small flicker of light from the dash panel buttons dimming when I hit the started button so I was pretty sure the battery was low. Now two months ago I was reading up on the charging system and found that a characteristic or flaw common to these models is the Voltage regulator goes bad. I happened to purchase a good used on and keep it along with the testing instructions in my tank bag along with a Volt/Ohm meter. Make a long story somewhat short I ended up pulling the tail as one piece and replacing the regulator. I made sure both sides were clean and I put a light coating of dielectirc grease on the regs base. This took about an hour and a half to take apart and put back together. During that time I had four harley baggers go by and three goldwings and do you think anyone would even look over to see if I needed help? Naw. It's not often that you see a sport bike stripped down to it's subframe on the side of the road ya know so something was up right? Well I had 11.2 volts in the battery and one guy on a Suzuki Intruder did stop and I asked if he could give me a push so I could bump start the bike. I tried bumping it in second and that didn't work so I jammed it into first and wow second try she fired. Good thing too the guy was getting tired of pushing my fat ass around. I put my bags back on the bike and headed off to Mid Ohio to meet my buds. I am very grateful for forums like the RR Zone and others for without them I wouldn't of known about this problem and it sure would've wrecked my day waiting for a tow! Right now I'm looking for another good used Voltage Regulator to put away until this one goes... Word to the wise if you travel alot invest in a decent tool kit, a compact volt/ohm meter, print out the trouble shooting tutorials and keep a spare regulator on the bike. Oh and if by chance you should come across a bike (and I don't care what they drive) and he/she is off on the side of the road stop and lend a hand it only takes minutes out of your travels to help a brother or sister out! Wardie

Agee
June 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM
man i have the same problem but i smelled sonthing burning imma go wit the battery first

cbr900rar
June 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Yesterday I was on my way from Toledo down US 23 to Mid Ohio to report on the AMA's Road Racing Championships. As I approached the split between US 23 and US 30 my speedo went dead (95' CBR 900 RR) and shortly thereafter the bike quit. At first I thought it was out of fuel but going on reserve didn't help. I pulled to the side of the road which had a ten foot berm and hit the starter button and nothing. I noticed a very small flicker of light from the dash panel buttons dimming when I hit the started button so I was pretty sure the battery was low. Now two months ago I was reading up on the charging system and found that a characteristic or flaw common to these models is the Voltage regulator goes bad. I happened to purchase a good used on and keep it along with the testing instructions in my tank bag along with a Volt/Ohm meter. Make a long story somewhat short I ended up pulling the tail as one piece and replacing the regulator. I made sure both sides were clean and I put a light coating of dielectirc grease on the regs base. This took about an hour and a half to take apart and put back together. During that time I had four harley baggers go by and three goldwings and do you think anyone would even look over to see if I needed help? Naw. It's not often that you see a sport bike stripped down to it's subframe on the side of the road ya know so something was up right? Well I had 11.2 volts in the battery and one guy on a Suzuki Intruder did stop and I asked if he could give me a push so I could bump start the bike. I tried bumping it in second and that didn't work so I jammed it into first and wow second try she fired. Good thing too the guy was getting tired of pushing my fat ass around. I put my bags back on the bike and headed off to Mid Ohio to meet my buds. I am very grateful for forums like the RR Zone and others for without them I wouldn't of known about this problem and it sure would've wrecked my day waiting for a tow! Right now I'm looking for another good used Voltage Regulator to put away until this one goes... Word to the wise if you travel alot invest in a decent tool kit, a compact volt/ohm meter, print out the trouble shooting tutorials and keep a spare regulator on the bike. Oh and if by chance you should come across a bike (and I don't care what they drive) and he/she is off on the side of the road stop and lend a hand it only takes minutes out of your travels to help a brother or sister out! Wardie

That's exactly why I always stop...... I've never personally been stranded, but I'm sure it will happen someday and I hope Karma helps me out. Glad to hear you got your trip underway with minnimum hassle. Good tip on keeping the spare trouble parts handy too.

Hondas Rule
June 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Definately sounds like a bad diode in the regulator/rectifier assembly, I didn't read all replies. The diode stops the current from running backwards and draining the battery, If it's a bad ground clean it and use a product called 0x-guard. It's made by gardner Bender, It's purpose is to stop any oxidization and it works great. I was told about this product by an electrical machinist and I have never used anything that works as well as it does

jawhn
June 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
That's good to know, thanks! Gonna have to pick me some up. They carry it at Ace Hardware! :V

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=998017421

FYI: Made for aluminum/aluminum and aluminum/copper connections, but not copper/copper. Product is designed to avoid aluminum corrosion.

Hondas Rule
June 14th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Anytime Jawhn, My buddy told me about that for over a year. I had a corrosion issue and tried it, I was amazed

jawhn
June 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Anytime Jawhn, My buddy told me about that for over a year. I had a corrosion issue and tried it, I was amazed

I just bought some last night. ;) Only $5.79 at Ace.

Hondas Rule
June 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
That is where I found it, Ace is the place LOL:D

They Banned Archer, Wonder why?

jawhn
June 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM
That is where I found it, Ace is the place LOL:D

They Banned Archer, Wonder why?

He was 'painting' things for people, accepting their money, accepting parts sent to him, then ignoring them. ;DOH

...I believe. That was all going on when I first started here, so I don't know all the details. But that was the gist of it.

Hondas Rule
June 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks Jawhn, You are a wealth of knowledge