Thread: 95 900RRS Rectifier went out and now the bikes dead?

Not been here that long

Question 95 900RRS Rectifier went out and now the bikes dead?

Hey everyone! Not sure where to put this in the forum so i will start here. I have a 1995 CBR900RRS with about 50K miles on it. I was driving it the other day and the bike started bogging down, then the Rectifier started smoking as the bike died completely. So, here i am. I replaced said rectifier, replaced the 30A main fuse that it took out along the way. But i still have no power when i turn the key on. on the started relay where the 30A fuse is i get 12V out of the top 2 prongs like i should, but other then that im lost. I know alot of people say it, but i truly have been using the search button along with google. Found alot of other information regarding which rectifier to buy ect.. but no one who didnt get there problem fixed. Any ideas? anything would be appreciated!!!!

Bikes:
    cbr900rr '94

Default Re: 95 900RRS Rectifier went out and now the bikes dead?

Your battery is probably also blown
    When it happened to me i had to replace that also

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Check your connectors, look for burned out ground wire pins. (Usually the green wires) Our bikes have pretty weak grounding. Hopefully your stator's fine... We have an electrical troubleshooting guide in our downloads section, give it a whirl, it's helped a lot of people on here... And ask questions, lotta helpful people on here!

Not been here that long

Well I metered out the battery and I'm getting 12.4V. So it looks like the battery is ok. I also jumped the starter relay and the started kicked so I know that's working. Verified the connector and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Any other ideas?

Bikes:
    cbr900rr

that 30A is getting power, but you turn the key and nothing? You should check all the other fuses, and all connections. Using the Ohms setting on a multimeter you can see if energy flows through a circuit, and if a circuit has damage from high heat this is also something you can observe on the meter using Ohms setting (increased resistance).
    Did you get a normal replacement or an upgraded one, and by upgraded I don't mean just added fins. I had to go through a few of them every 3-7 months before I got the newest style available, that fixed the problem.

Not been here that long

Well, traced most of the wiring and still nothing. Im not sure if i got the upgraded one or not, it seems to be? it does have metal fins protruding though? but yes, no power at all when i turn the key.. could my ecm be dead? or does that not affect the rest of the power to the bike? Also would the stator being bad not allow power to flow? (not saying that it is), but i will check it regardless. does anyone have a straight wiring diagram? maby i can trace that out a little easier then attempting to go one by one?

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR, '88 Hawk GT track bike (back in Canada)

If I followed you correctly, you've got voltage until you put some load on it. Classic case of bad ground and/or bad connection. Go to Jawhn's reply. Check ALL of the wiring and ALL of the connectors VERY carefully. It's a real pain in the ass, but it will be a good use of your time.

In my opinion you do need a wiring diagram, but what you need even more is patience and persistence. Don't expect to find only one problem. Do not rest until you have checked out the whole harness and confirmed all wires are good, all connections are clean and good.

Bikes:
    cbr900rr

for the diagram, I suggest getting a repair manual. $35-55 online. There's one in my manual but it doesn't come out of the book so making a scan would lose a lot in the center.

Not been here that long

Hello all, no update today on the bike. Unfortunately had to work late at the shop. Jhbzorro, thank you for all of your advice and i plan on following it tomorrow afternoon. Did some more research and found a diagram online but could not read it it was so blurry. If anyone else has one pm me and ill give you my email, i would greatly appreciate it. As for now its a waiting game untill i can pull it all apart tomorrow. Cheers!

Not been here that long

Quote Originally Posted by HybridConceptz View Post
    Hello all, no update today on the bike. Unfortunately had to work late at the shop. Jhbzorro, thank you for all of your advice and i plan on following it tomorrow afternoon. Did some more research and found a diagram online but could not read it it was so blurry. If anyone else has one pm me and ill give you my email, i would greatly appreciate it. As for now its a waiting game untill i can pull it all apart tomorrow. Cheers!

Looks like I found a decent wiring diagram from another forum as long as a 94 will work? Goin to start tonight woohoo

Not been here that long

Ok everyone! it looks like i found the problem. First off i was able to trace all of the info i needed from the diagram. I traded it down to a Connector by the front fuse panel on the right side of the bike. There is a main ignition connector there that had vibrated/loosened/ who knows what. therefore loosing the 12V i needed to the whole bike. Cleaned up the connector, plugged it back in, and voila!!!! So, to wrap it all up.

Rectifier Fried, when that happened, it in turn took out the battery, the 30A main fuse, and also created a bad connection at the main ignition connector before the actual keyed ignition located on the right side panel. Problem solved!!!!!!

Bikes:
    cbr900rr

Good to hear your all set.
    If you continue to have issues in the future with the regulator/rectifier, the newer ones I was talking about are from newer bikes, and I got a new one from Ricks (www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com) in New Hampshire. The stock replacements I kept getting only lasted like 6 months each, my current one has been good for a while now. Oh yeah and use heat transfer compound on the back of the R/R, this will help a little. They burn up because they get too hot and don't get rid of the heat fast enough.