Thread: looking for advice

Not been here that long

Default looking for advice

I just bought new led turn signals for my 1994 cbr 900rr (893). They work as signals but the left rear wont stay on for a running light. The right one does however. I switched them to see if it was wiring on the signal and it wasn't. So I contemplated a few things and non of them made sense when I went to do it so here I am.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear.

Thanks!
    Steven

Bikes:
    1993 CBR 900RR crash test dummy, and an 02 windstar with 2 15's in the back, for now

Lightbulb Re: looking for advice

If you have swapped the bulbs and the problem stayed with one bulb..... buy a new bulb?

Steven "SgtSKiP"
    93 900 Blk Slvr Red/ totaled... I got parts for sale.....

Not been here that long

Default Re: looking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by sgtskip View Post
    If you have swapped the bulbs and the problem stayed with one bulb..... buy a new bulb?

Steven "SgtSKiP"
    They are brand new Leds. To replace my halogen turn signals. I had this issue with the halogen bulbs. But when I crashed I was fixing it things and got it to work but now I don't know what I did to fix it.

Bikes:
    Honda CBR 600 RR

Possibly a broken 3rd wire for the running light from the connector block at the back,
    if the right one is working that means the group of cables leading to the back of the bike would be fine.
    So check for damage from where the main block splits off to the indicators, tail light.

Swap the indicators around and check if the left works on the rights wiring, to check for a damaged indicator/running light

If not you may require a resistor to run LED lights.
    Honda CBR900RR Fireblade, Suzuki SV1000s, Honda CB400 SF Hidden Content - GONE
    Honda CBR600RR 2011 Hidden Content
    Forum moderator Hidden Content
    Valentino Rossi waving to me Hidden Content

Not been here that long

Quote Originally Posted by gothy View Post
    Possibly a broken 3rd wire for the running light from the connector block at the back,
    if the right one is working that means the group of cables leading to the back of the bike would be fine.
    So check for damage from where the main block splits off to the indicators, tail light.

Swap the indicators around and check if the left works on the rights wiring, to check for a damaged indicator/running light

If not you may require a resistor to run LED lights.
    I did switch the two signal wiring from left into the right wires and it works went right to left same issue as before with the non running but blinks. I don't think I need resistors cause they will blink they just blink really fast.

Also there is only two wires going to the back for the signals the front have three wires. One to the switch one that connects the front and back signals and a ground. The back only has a ground and one that connects the front and back.

I've plugged the signal into the licenses plate wire and it will stay on but wont blink so im not sure if it's my blinker wire going from the switch that could be bad or the one connecting the front and rear signals or if it'd the relay.

Any idea on how to check a relay?

Bikes:
    Honda CBR 600 RR

Its more likely to be a break in the loom that goes to the indicator, than the switch.

I doubt its the relay, you wouldn't get any indicators working otherwise, (unless theres more than 1 for indys, I forget)

Its possible that the american bikes might be different (we dont have running lights)
    On my old cb400 import, the indicators have 3 wires, one for ground, one for flash, one for running lights. front and back.
    On the blade it should be the same, each getting its own feed. But where they may differ is where you say they are connected front to back.
    Could do with someone with a US bike in this thread...

I meant resistors would slow the flashing speed down.

It sounds like you plugged the left indicator into the tail lamp wiring? - Is that right or have I read that wrong?

Not been here that long

Its more likely to be a break in the loom that goes to the indicator, than the switch.

I doubt its the relay, you wouldn't get any indicators working otherwise, (unless theres more than 1 for indys, I forget)

Its possible that the american bikes might be different (we dont have running lights)
    On my old cb400 import, the indicators have 3 wires, one for ground, one for flash, one for running lights. front and back.
    On the blade it should be the same, each getting its own feed. But where they may differ is where you say they are connected front to back.
    Could do with someone with a US bike in this thread...

I meant resistors would slow the flashing speed down.

It sounds like you plugged the left indicator into the tail lamp wiring? - Is that right or have I read that wrong?
    Yes I plugged it to the tail lamp to see if the ground was good and it is. My relay was good I heard clicking noise.
    Ill have to buy resistors to slow the speed down yea but ill do that later.
    As for the relay you're right on the three prong.
    so you're saying something about the loom. Should I check and make sure the wires in the back of the cluster are plugged in good etc?
    Also the three wire thing you're right about it being like that for the front wires but the back is only two im not sure why but somehow they stay running and blink. Schematic in my book even says that's how it goes.

Bikes:
    Honda CBR 600 RR

From what I can gather it sounds like a loom problem, if you made a test bulb that would be helpful.
    Just solder some wires onto a spare bulb, with a metal prong to 'probe' parts of the wiring/connector blocks. The other can earth on the chassis. Then use that to test for power, both solid and flashing.
    Or if you have one try using a multimeter.

Not been here that long

From what I can gather it sounds like a loom problem, if you made a test bulb that would be helpful.
    Just solder some wires onto a spare bulb, with a metal prong to 'probe' parts of the wiring/connector blocks. The other can earth on the chassis. Then use that to test for power, both solid and flashing.
    Or if you have one try using a multimeter.
    My grandfather gas a test bulb and I did some testing through the whole bike. It solid light power comes from the switch somewhere and the wires for the left signal isn't getting it somehow so I believe its the switch I had it in pieces testing it. Im going to a swap meet today hoping I can find one at a decent price ll the ones I found looked pretty basic and were 50-100$ so wish me luck and thanks for the help everyone!!!

Also I found a way to keep it running if xi don't find a switch. I can just run a third wire from the solid light in the front to the back hot wore and it stays on and flashes so worst comes to worst I can do that. Take care everyone and hopefully I can help someone like you'll have helped me!

Steven