PDA

View Full Version : Progrip Super BK grips

xraycatj
August 13th, 2005, 06:54 AM
My old stock grips left my hands black when I touched the bars without gloves. They also got stuff on my black gloves only I didn't know until I wiped them across my pants. Soooo....

I recently bought a set of these gel grips and so far after a week I don't like them.

They feel good and do get rid of some vibrations; however, the throttle sticks! this will not work! The stock grip allowed the throttle to snap back instantly but these progrips cause the throttle to stick until I closed the throttle. I tried WD40 where the flared end touches the switch box but still sticky!

Anybody have these? any fixes?

NIHILator
August 13th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I had this problem with the throttle side grip on the aftermarkets on my old ninja. I took a very sharp razor and neatly cut the ring off the outside end of the grip so it did't make contact with the bar end. Its best done with the grip slipped over a piece of pvc or metal pipe the proper diameter. I suggest an exacto blade and a steady hand for best results. They provide you with a nice groove to do this neatly with. Then you can slide your grip more centered between your switchgear and the bar end so it can't grip to them......... Sad to have to do that but it works..........

xraycatj
August 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah i already cut out the ends for the bar ends to go through but i'll try this tonight when i get home. thanks!

NIHILator
August 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
No Problem....Glad to help :)

Brent
August 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Are you gluing the new grips in place?

I highly suggest hair spray for this - it works great..

Aqua Net Super Hold.

NIHILator
August 13th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I highly suggest hair spray for this - it works great..

Aqua Net Super Hold.Makes for a helluva spiffy no-muss hairdoo too, right Brent? :p

Brent
August 14th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Totally - but even for me Aquanet is bit much....

It works great for grips thou..

xraycatj
August 18th, 2005, 12:36 PM
okay everything is working wonderfully now. after takign off the grip and trimming the end I lubed up the inside of the throttle and put the grip back on but left half a millimeter from the inner end of the grip and the ignition switch box; everything is working better than before.......just like i planned... ;)

NIHILator
August 18th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Glad to hear it... Isn't it great when a plan comes together? ;)