PDA

View Full Version : Does this look odd?

The Snowman
August 24th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Not long ago, I purchased a used (go figure) 97 CBR900RR. It came from the seller with a Two Brothers high-mount exhaust.

Since my wife also likes to ride, I had to do something in order to get the passenger pegs back on. What I ended up doing was twisting the S pipe a little and getting it to sit lower. I also had to install a piece of stainless steel, which extends the canister band a little. (you'll see in a moment)

Since the canister no longer follows the upward lines of the side panels, I think it looks a bit odd. When I brought the bike to a friend for some work, he said that he likes how it looks.

I don't get the bike over enough to possibly drag the pipe, but I'm looking for opinions.

The first pic is how it looks mounted high, the second is how it looks mounted lower withthe passenger pegs. What do you think?

speedextreme
August 24th, 2006, 02:24 PM
It looks kinda funny, but it works for me. I am still getting a kick out of your new avatar. That is good!!!

SalemCBR
August 24th, 2006, 02:57 PM
It looks kinda funny, but it works for me. I am still getting a kick out of your new avatar. That is good!!!

yeah, good avatar.... but back on topic. It looks better high and on-line but the other way doesn't bother me. It doesn't look AS good, but it doesn't look WRONG. ;)

I say roll with it...:dancing :ele :pbjb

The Snowman
August 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM

yeah, good avatar.... but back on topic. It looks better high and on-line but the other way doesn't bother me. It doesn't look AS good, but it doesn't look WRONG. ;)

I say roll with it...:dancing :ele :pbjb
I kinda wish I could change the text under the avatar. On another forum, it reads, "Look into my high beams..."

speedextreme
August 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I kinda wish I could change the text under the avatar. On another forum, it reads, "Look into my high beams..."

Put the pic on ms paint and put the words right on the bottom of the pic!!!

The Snowman
August 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Put the pic on ms paint and put the words right on the bottom of the pic!!!
Done. Who uses MS Paint when you can use Photoshop and get the cool outside glow...

(everyone now...)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Snowman
August 24th, 2006, 04:46 PM
By the way, here's more views of the pipe. One from behind, so you can see how it moves away from the bike toward the end, because I had to twist the mid pipe.

The other is a closeup of the piece I added to move the cannister band up a little.

anabatic1
August 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM
i say kink the pipe so its almost meeting your tail section, that owuld look sickness~

speedextreme
August 24th, 2006, 06:30 PM
O.K. if it bugs you enough to do this. Take the bike over to an exhaust shop. Preferably in the back of a truck so the exhaust is cold. Then ask them if they could "rebend" your mid pipe? They should be able to do that for you to get everything to line up like you want it and beable to do it pretty cheap???!!!

Just a thought. Cuz that is what I am going to do once I get my VFR swingarm on the bike. I am routing the exhaust out to the left side of the bike! I want to be different, everyone has now done the undertail exhaust! Even stock OEM bikes are coming with them. So I will do the opposite, route it out to the left. So I will have the exhaust shop make me a titanium (hopefully) mid pipe to "bend" its way over to the left side of the bike.

Then I have a buddy that has machine shop access that wants to make me a set of custom rear passenger pegs. So I will have him make them with the hanger spot on the left peg. AND, make a matching set for the front pegs!!!

That'll be cool. :modalert

Sime
August 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM
O.K. if it bugs you enough to do this. Take the bike over to an exhaust shop. Preferably in the back of a truck so the exhaust is cold. Then ask them if they could "rebend" your mid pipe? They should be able to do that for you to get everything to line up like you want it and beable to do it pretty cheap???!!!

May or may not work. I had a TBR high mount exhaust that I needed to have bent up a little. The guy at Midas told me that it may not work...ie, the pipe might collapse on itself. He said he could bend me a new pipe if this didn't work, so I thought, let's try it.

He heated up the pipe with the oxy torch, and when it was soft enough, he bent it up. Sure enough, the pipe collapsed on itself and put a nice lip in the pipe...kind of like the folds on a 'Shar-pai' dog. We ditched that one and had the custom bent pipe made........and that's what I have on my bike now.

BTW, to be honest....I totally don't like the lower pipe position. But the high mount one looks GREAT!

Mark 900RR
August 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM
For the passenger pegs just get some 600RR pegs they fit nicely

bladez
August 26th, 2006, 11:58 PM
For the passenger pegs just get some 600RR pegs they fit nicely i used gsxr400 foot pegs on front and rear that way they dont stick out as far and feel more comfy on courners :V

Sime
August 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM
i used gsxr400 foot pegs on front and rear that way they dont stick out as far and feel more comfy on courners :V

Do these non-standard pegs just bolt up without modification? And, what did you use to hold up the muffler?

Cheers,

The Snowman
August 29th, 2006, 04:53 AM
For the passenger pegs just get some 600RR pegs they fit nicely

With the exhaust mounted high, like it's supposed to?

And, from what year(s) 600RR??

Can anyone provide photos of such a conversion?

The Snowman
August 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM
OK, to actually answer my own qusetions:

I took a hard look at the 03-04 and 05 600RR passenger pegs and it looks like none would do the job for one reason:

They don't have the mount hole for the exhaust, sicne the 600 has an undertail exhaust. I should've figured that one out even before I saw the photos.

bladez
August 30th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Do these non-standard pegs just bolt up without modification? And, what did you use to hold up the muffler?

Cheers, used the blade hanger but pegs of the 400 they are off a 1992 gsxr if that helps :) i carnt see why the hangers wont fit if the gaping is the same.

The Snowman
September 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM
OK, 13 months later, I'm revisiting this thread.

When I first bought my 97 900RR back in June of 06, it had a high-mount SS Two Brothers full exhaust installed (first attachment below). THe deal I made with my wife when I bought a bike was that it had to be 2-up capable, so she could ride with me. Well, I fudged around with the midpipe by twisting it a little and brought it to a level that it could mount to the rear pegs. (with a little help from a small piece of SS, second attachment below). Unfortunately, it looks odd as the can no longer followed the lines of the bike, it ran back a little far, and wide.

So, I searched and searched for a standard-mount midpipe for the TB system. Well, wouldn't you know it, someone on here came through for me. Lunitk posted a thread selling parts for a 97 Blade. I asked if he had the midpipe and he hooked me up.

Lunitk, YOU ROCK!!

The third, fourth, and fifth attachments below shows the newly mounted midpipe. Woo hoo!!!

jawhn
September 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Lookin sweeet! :V

Yeah, I can't say nothing but good things about Lunitk. Great guy and seller. Hooked me up a few times... Did you leave him a positive feedback on here? :EG

The Snowman
September 15th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Lookin sweeet! :V

Yeah, I can't say nothing but good things about Lunitk. Great guy and seller. Hooked me up a few times... Did you leave him a positive feedback on here? :EG
Yes I did. Went great. He wanted $20 shipped, I sent $25 to cover the PayPal fees.

Had it 3 days later. He said it needed work, but some SS polish was all it needed. Now I have to polish the header section of the pipe back to the midpipe, because the midpipe was in better shape than the rest of my header is.

lunitk
September 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Looks sweet!! I'm happy it worked out for you..........yeah I didn't even think to try some SS polish......glad I could be of help. Like I said, it was just sitting in the garage collecting dust and it looks much better on your bike than it did sitting in a cardboard box in my garage. :V

The Snowman
September 15th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys. It was worth the wait. Great transaction and a pipe in excellent condition. Here's a picture of her completely cleaned up and outside with much better lighting:

Street Warrior
September 19th, 2007, 01:13 AM
that looks way better

Blademan
September 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM
that looks way better

+1 on the looks