PDA

View Full Version : Deleting the front right side brake and caliper

jasonsfamily03
January 19th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Alright I want to delete the front right side brake caliper and rotor is there an easy way to do that I know I have to take the whell of and take all the brake system off but what do I need to do about the brake line to the T-block cap it off? If so what do I need to use ? Thanks for the help

The Snowman
January 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Delete it? I was going to suggest Photoshop.

jawhn
January 19th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Just out of pure curiousity, why would you remove a rotor and brake? That will cut your front wheel braking in half. And it might affect stability.

This isn't to have easier access to the valve stem, is it? What it your interest in doing such a weird mod??? :confused:

Capping it would do it, but seriously, what is the purpose? It's going to make it extremely unsafe and other bad things. There is no positive from this mod, save aesthetic appeal, if that's what you're going for. Most people are constantly trying to improve their front braking performance, and you are thinking about drastically lowering it.

Archer 900RR
January 19th, 2007, 01:16 PM
people eliminate one side to show off the bling on the rim.. Personally, I think if people want to ride a suicide mission everyday, Knock yourself out. But I always tell people, there are companies out there that have bling calipers and rotors... there is no substitute for safety, braking power, for looks... Show bikes, I understand, a bike thats not ridden. But a bike that rolls.. No thank you!

Archer

However, if you are going to do it, Go to your local autozone or advanced auto parts and buy an adapter to connect the 2 hoses. This eliminates the 'T' Fitting. Just a few bucks. Just make sure its big enough and can hold the pressure. I'm not Condoling you on doing this modification because it is life threatening, but its your bike and life, "Everyone needs a Hobby"!

Calkidd
January 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM
He could be doing this to isolate a problem he has.

If this is for mechanical purposes just buy a single brake line and run it straight to the caliper.

jasonsfamily03
January 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Well I am not going to lower the braking power I am installing the new big brake kit from brembo on the left side with steel braided brake lines I just got a new 250 wide tire kit and you cannot see the ront rim at all from the right side so they told me to take it off and install a brembo brake kit that would be the same thing as having two?

gixerkiller
January 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Well I am not going to lower the braking power I am installing the new big brake kit from brembo on the left side with steel braided brake lines I just got a new 250 wide tire kit and you cannot see the ront rim at all from the right side so they told me to take it off and install a brembo brake kit that would be the same thing as having two?

the straight answer........NO

if you are showing the bike then fine but i take it you want to ride this around town.

it is bad enough that your running way to big of a tyre, your corrnering will realy suck, you will need both rotors to keep the bike in controll.

the point behind two rotors is to provide equal braking forces on both sides of the wheel which adds controll.

have you ever riden a bike with only one rotor? the bike pulls to the side of the rotor which can cause a loss of controll.

for riding it around it is not a good thing to do, for show it is just fine as show bikes usualy never get riden.

Stealth
January 21st, 2007, 01:18 AM
If looks are an issue, which they seem to be. My advice would be to remove all the hardware, including all the hoses and what not. Then buy a single braided hose to go from the master to the new caliper. No capping req'd, no chances of leaks etc.

BTW fellas' the OEM brakes are designed to pull a bike up from top speed. If he wants to do this mod he's not endangering his life until he forgets it's down on braking and pushes the bike. Riding around town at "moderate" speeds isn't going to over stress the braking capacities. He'll just have to remember and ride accordingly.

maxxheadroom
January 21st, 2007, 03:16 AM
Please don't take this as me trying to be a jerk I'm really not, but if you are having to ask how to remove these parts I would seriously reconsider what your doing. Again not trying to be a jerk, just thinking out loud (really, I'm a nice guy)

Calkidd
January 21st, 2007, 04:48 AM
Again not trying to be a jerk, just thinking out loud (really, I'm a nice guy)
And writes hilarious stories.....:pound

maxxheadroom
January 21st, 2007, 04:59 AM
And writes hilarious stories.....:pound

LOL, thanks calkidd... I think I may be almost ready for my next "Death boot" experience :D

bikerdave
January 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM
Max, thanks for bringing up what has been
bouncing around inside my skull.
Also, maybe those boots aught to be
made for walkin'?:reallyscared ;DOH :pound
I should have passed that up but where
would the fun be then?:D

maxxheadroom
January 22nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
Max, thanks for bringing up what has been
bouncing around inside my skull.
Also, maybe those boots aught to be
made for walkin'?:reallyscared ;DOH :pound
I should have passed that up but where
would the fun be then?:D

I tried walking in them... I'm not even going to go into details about that adventure...

bikerdave
January 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Oh, Good, Those boots ain't even made for walkin';DOH :EG :V

speedextreme
January 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
O.K. here is how you do it!!! Take the SS braided brake line kit out of the box for the front of your bike. Then, take the left side line, with the two banjo bolts that go into the calipers. Then take the one banjo bolt and put it into the line (with washers) and install into the brake master cyclinder. Then take the line and route it down to the brake caliper. Install the banjo bolt into the bottom of the line (with washers) and install into the caliper!!! Fill resevoir and bleed brakes and TADAH!!!! Only one brake line. NOW, if you do it that way, you have the extra line for your rear??? Or to put it back to twin brakes you have the extra parts.

NOW, has any of you thought that the reason he might be doing this is for "Dragracing"?????? You only need sooooo much in stopping power on the strip, and his idea would actually work really well. Reduction in weight and stopping power that is still O.K. for that kind of use???? Just a thought.

Laters.

Street Warrior
January 24th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Twin rotors are good for cooling as they don't get as hot when your constantly braking hard and slowing down like on a road track. other than that, twin rotors are pretty much overkill. While I agree this is kind of a retard mod, this bike is obviously for show with the 250 wide tire. It probably is lowered and has a extended swingarm too,, and come on, it's a 900, so not being dragraced. It's probably just a cruise/show bike in which case a single rotor will do fine. there are TONS of bikes on the road with single front rotors, it doesn't cause the bike to pull to one side:pound

maxxheadroom
January 24th, 2007, 03:13 AM
O.K. here is how you do it!!! Take the SS braided brake line kit out of the box for the front of your bike. Then, take the left side line, with the two banjo bolts that go into the calipers. Then take the one banjo bolt and put it into the line (with washers) and install into the brake master cyclinder. Then take the line and route it down to the brake caliper. Install the banjo bolt into the bottom of the line (with washers) and install into the caliper!!! Fill resevoir and bleed brakes and TADAH!!!! Only one brake line. NOW, if you do it that way, you have the extra line for your rear??? Or to put it back to twin brakes you have the extra parts.

NOW, has any of you thought that the reason he might be doing this is for "Dragracing"?????? You only need sooooo much in stopping power on the strip, and his idea would actually work really well. Reduction in weight and stopping power that is still O.K. for that kind of use???? Just a thought.

Laters.

Granted spinning mass is a huge factor in drag racing I personally would look other places to reduce it. I really doubt the gain from removing the brake from one side is going to be really noticable. I'm not sure about spinning mass but I do know for every 100 pounds you drop off your rig you pick up about .01 seconds in the 1/4 mile. I would assume rotating mass would be similar, lets just say it is for the sake of argument. We'll say the brake rotor weighs in at 10 pounds (it's a heavy one :D and it's 2:30 am and I don't feel like doing to much thinking). So we are assuming 100 pounds drops 1/10th of a second. So we take .01 and divide it by 100 (giving us pounds per second) we end up with .0001 seconds per pound removed from the vehicle. Now we take that number and multiply it by 10 (because our rotor is going to weigh 10 pounds) we come up with .001 seconds. So by removing the rotor you would see a gain of about .001 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Ok I am done rambling now, above might be totally wrong like I said it's 2:30 in the morning I am off to bed. :V

jasonsfamily03
January 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Well fellows I am by no means going to drag the bike. The bike is for show I have it stretched 12 inches with a 250 and strapped in the front the upper fairing sits on the fender the bike barely gets over 60 mph so no I am not looking to slam on brakes at 140 It is going to be on a trailer to a show more than the tires being on the road. Just wanted to know the best way to take the rotor off without messing anything up

Calkidd
January 25th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I think your best bet is to run a single line from the master cylinder to the single caliper.

ghst
January 26th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Well fellows I am by no means going to drag the bike. The bike is for show I have it stretched 12 inches with a 250 and strapped in the front the upper fairing sits on the fender the bike barely gets over 60 mph so no I am not looking to slam on brakes at 140 It is going to be on a trailer to a show more than the tires being on the road. Just wanted to know the best way to take the rotor off without messing anything up

Just my opinion but I think I would keep the rotors and have something bad ass done with them wave style but flames instead? I like brakes..... even at 60 things happen like dogs running out in front of ya, etc. If it's going to be a total trailer queen then delete away.

damo1
February 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM
Is it just me or every time Gixerkiller makes a response to some ones question about how they want to mod there own bike the way theywant he comes out with a hole heap of crap that they probly dont want to know.

He asked a simple question about how to not about what you thought!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I remember asking a question about a mod to my own bike that i wanted to do and getting a crap response from you then if you dont have the answer to the question people ask dont respond at all not every body gives a toss about what you think will be wrong with the mod.:mad: :mad:

gixerkiller
February 2nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Is it just me or every time Gixerkiller makes a response to some ones question about how they want to mod there own bike the way theywant he comes out with a hole heap of crap that they probly dont want to know.

He asked a simple question about how to not about what you thought!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I remember asking a question about a mod to my own bike that i wanted to do and getting a crap response from you then if you dont have the answer to the question people ask dont respond at all not every body gives a toss about what you think will be wrong with the mod.:mad: :mad:

it is the responsibility of everyone to give both pros and cons of the question asked. if you know the answer then you would'nt ask the question. if you want your ego stroked then get a nudie mag and a bottle of jergens and stroke it till your hearts content.

mr.33 posts you may thing you know everything but look at what i do and where in the country i live. california is the place where most of these "mods" originate from. so i get to se the damage,the crashes,the utter stupidity,and the effect it has on everyone.

i started doing this shit before i could drive (legaly) so when i say something about issues or problems it is fact and experience.

do i know it all? fuck no and no one does, but i'll bet real money i know a shit load more than you and nearly all the other active members here.

there is shit i know that has not even been posted yet.

so with the risk of me being sanctioned again FUCK OFF!!!!

ghst
February 2nd, 2007, 12:36 AM

IMO... his "how to" was to "Not do".

gixerkiller bro. It's OK man... You being like Ghst when hearing about 6 an1K RR issues.:)

900RR Puzzle
February 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM

And your point is?

I "give a toss" about what Gixxerkiller has to say. He has helped me out a ton and I value his opinion, especially when it comes to safety issues.

Get over it.

bodyglove
February 2nd, 2007, 11:21 AM
well they eleminate one side to minimize the drag on the rotor , fordrag racing mostley, i've done mine , and realy it doesn't pull on one side , but braking quality is less

bikerdave
February 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
Ah, Crap.
This is a waste of time.
We've or many have done this
on this forum.
It just ain't worth the trouble or the
energy.
Don Henly "Get over it".
Gixer is Gixer.
If you are on this forum and haven't seen
this in all of it's previous paramutations
You just ain't lookin'.
I'm sure that all that take things he says
personaly are the poster persons for socially
acceptibe actions and words at all time.:pound
Ya, Right:EG

damo1
February 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
There you go again pulling your own chain about how much better than every body else you are, you dont know me you dont know what i do and you dont know what ive done or for that matter any body else on this site so pull your head out of your arse and resect what people are asking about how to mod there bikes not your opinion :pound

jawhn
February 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
If someone asks what the best way to mod their bike with spears and razor blades is to properly attack a gradeschool during recess, we're not gonne give JB Weld and mounting tips for cutting devices.

The risk of asking things is finding out differing opinions.

+1 to the get over it.

Yes, Dennis will give you his opinion whether you want it or not. I like that about him. I respect it, actually.

damo1
February 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
oooooooooo drama queen attachment ;)

jawhn
February 2nd, 2007, 04:49 PM
oooooooooo drama queen attachment ;)

Hehe. Yeah, I love that one. I think Brent (or whoever) should add it! :EG

gixerkiller
February 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
There you go again pulling your own chain about how much better than every body else you are, you dont know me you dont know what i do and you dont know what ive done or for that matter any body else on this site so pull your head out of your arse and resect what people are asking about how to mod there bikes not your opinion :pound

i do respect others you jackass when a question is asked about what we think then there will be all sorts of comments such as this question was asked.

no i don't know you i i fucking could care less.

as far as the info i give......do the research yourself, find out WHY things are built the way they are and why things opperate as they do.

i could give a fuck about what you want to do to your bike it is your goddamn bike BUT, if you post a generic question looking for info don't get all butthurt when it does'nt agree with the decision you have already made.

and yes as far as active members i can truly say that when it comes to rebuilds,certain mods,and trouble shooting i am most likly the best source as i have seen and worked on nearly every mechanical device known to man.

you have a problem with honest straight forward answers.....go to .org

speedextreme
February 2nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
I agree with Gixx, no one is telling you guys to ask these questions. When you ask these questions you will get answers, whether it is the form of "what you wanted to hear", or an opinionated answer like Gixx's. Now if you don't want to hear the answers given because you have in your mind you will do it anyway you want. Then go somewhere else for the answers.

I too am VERY knowledgable when it comes to doing maintenance. Sometimes I have a question about things and I have actually asked Gixx what he thought. He gives the answer you are looking for plus his opinion on why you should or shouldn't go about doing it. If he is really against it, you will just get the opinion. NOW, with that said, take his opinion and do with it what you wish, ignore it, use it, whatever. But people DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT need to sit there and BASH someone for his or her opinion.

I mean GODDAM grow up. Act like mature adults and listen to someones opinion and just agree OR disagree. But don't just bash him because he doesn't see things the way you want to see them.

And on the thread topic. I agree with Gixx totally. I don't see the reason for removing one side either. UNLESS, you are going to show it or drag it. If it is a daily driver traveling above 30mph. IT IS STUPID to remove it. It was designed that way for a purpose.

Look at the bikes of the early "not so sporty" type. The old 400cc Bandits, cruisers, touring bikes, dual sports. They have single sided brakes up front. And now, some have went with dual discs for their "upgraded" performance of stopping power. For what sane reason would someone remove an "upgrade" to "downgrade" a bike is beyond me if it is a normal riding machine.

BUT THIS IS MY OPINION>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghst
February 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
I agree with Gixx, no one is telling you guys to ask these questions. When you ask these questions you will get answers, whether it is the form of "what you wanted to hear", or an opinionated answer like Gixx's. Now if you don't want to hear the answers given because you have in your mind you will do it anyway you want. Then go somewhere else for the answers.

I too am VERY knowledgable when it comes to doing maintenance. Sometimes I have a question about things and I have actually asked Gixx what he thought. He gives the answer you are looking for plus his opinion on why you should or shouldn't go about doing it. If he is really against it, you will just get the opinion. NOW, with that said, take his opinion and do with it what you wish, ignore it, use it, whatever. But people DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT need to sit there and BASH someone for his or her opinion.

I mean GODDAM grow up. Act like mature adults and listen to someones opinion and just agree OR disagree. But don't just bash him because he doesn't see things the way you want to see them.

BUT THIS IS MY OPINION>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

bikerdave
February 3rd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Speed, Speed,
You and I know that this is not
the land of the free any more and
has not been for at least 50+ years.
Politically correct and don't lable me
it might warp my tender psyc.
There is a copy of the graduation speech
by the head of Micro soft.
He says you are not going to be congratulated
when you don't do what your boss asked.
Be prepared for a write up at the very least or fired.
This is the real world.
There is a reason for the armor and cup.
Like there is a reason for leather, boots, gloves, and helmet.
It can get heavy, painful, and dangerous.
Welcome to reality.
Just like riding with out gear.
It is a self limiting problem.

damo1
February 3rd, 2007, 01:53 AM
Maybe you need to go back and read the original question he asks how to not why he should not ,so point made you are pulling your chain own chain and big noting yourself about how much you recon you know you are the f##k wit you make out and i dont care for the others opinion of you from what ive seen you suck your own and only give a f##k about your own opinion and dont actually read the questions just tell every body about what a f##ker you really are and how you reacon your the best and that dont do this and dont do that because i said.

Mate you are the arse hole of the earth and your opinion means nothing to me and you prove it constantly that you don really have a clue.

you know what they say bullshit baffles brains and mate you are a bullshit artist.:V

gixerkiller
February 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Maybe you need to go back and read the original question he asks how to not why he should not ,so point made you are pulling your chain own chain and big noting yourself about how much you recon you know you are the f##k wit you make out and i dont care for the others opinion of you from what ive seen you suck your own and only give a f##k about your own opinion and dont actually read the questions just tell every body about what a f##ker you really are and how you reacon your the best and that dont do this and dont do that because i said.

Mate you are the arse hole of the earth and your opinion means nothing to me and you prove it constantly that you don really have a clue.

you know what they say bullshit baffles brains and mate you are a bullshit artist.:V

typical brit it's a wonder you ever conquered the scotts.

as far as what i do and what i know.....anytime anyplace

questions get answered and statements of fact are never disputed if you can't handle it go away..

everyone else has said as much.

yes i am an asshole and you know what? i have not a care in the world what whinny brit thinks.

YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT THEN FUCKING LEAVE NO ONE SAID YOU HAVE TO STAY.

damo1
February 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
BaaaHaaaa a brit thats as funny as your reponses

Britian and Australia are a long way apart :pound

Thanks for the feedback ill take it on board wont change my opinion of you

but i will say that we agree to dis agree thats something that we obviuosly
both agree on.

I dont think ill leave because i love these little dust ups with you.

speedextreme
February 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM

When you "vent" like this........................WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING AFTER??????? You make NO FUCKING POINT!!!!!!!!!

Goddam get over yourself.

Big Kahuna
February 4th, 2007, 01:00 AM
What is going on here lately??

I think everyone needs to relax a bit. I'm getting sick and tired of all the name calling and abuse of the removal of the bad word filter. If people can't communicate without bashing another, I'm going to start giving out infractions to those who can't seem to keep their mouth shut. Continuous infractions will result in temporary member banning.