PDA

View Full Version : The "kickstand spin trick"

speedextreme
February 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
OK guys, I finally got the pics taken. I will try to describe how to do it to the best of my knowledge. NOW REMEMBER!!!! This method is used by me, if you throw your own "twist" into it or do it somehow different please let everyone know. The description is of the pics in order (hopefully).

1. Bike as it has been put into the parking spot.

2. Step one, turn the bars to full right lock.

3. Ensure your foot placement is adequate to help support the bike.

4. Pick up the back tire by "twisting" the handlebars and pushing the left one to the ground.

5. Showing the weight of the bike on me and the rear tire in the air.

6. You cannot really see it but the front tire is in the air along with the back tire. You and the kickstand are the only things holding the bike up at this point. You lift on the right handgrip as you somewhat push the left one down to the ground, kind of a "twisting" motion with the bars to keep the bike on the kickstand.

7. Pivoting on the right foot, moving the left every foot or so and spinning the bike on the stand in a counterclockwise motion. Pulling the bars to you.

8. Again another shot of another 90degrees of spin. You can get a better idea of both tires in the air on this one.

9. Another 90degrees of the spin, both tires still in the air.

10. And when at the spot you wanted to go to, just put the bike back on both tires. It really is easier than it sounds and looks.

Give it a try, you will love the pull in pull out method of parking lots a whole lot better.

jawhn
February 13th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Awesome, thanks! :V

In the beginning photos, it looks as though you're placing your foot behind the kickstand, is that necessary, or just a coincidence?

You should have Barb take a sequence from the same location and I could make it an animated gif, if you want. Cool. Gonna have to do this again tomorrow.

bodyglove
February 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
good you learn it . but thats old news to me :V

gixerkiller
February 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
yall know this aint a real good thing to do right?

the bracket starts to pull on the mount bolts and the hole in the stand and bracket go oval after a bit.
then there is always the breakage issue....can happen...

seen it happen on an r-6. laughed my ass off.

speedextreme
February 14th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Awesome, thanks! :V

In the beginning photos, it looks as though you're placing your foot behind the kickstand, is that necessary, or just a coincidence?
Well it just so happens that is where I place my foot. I like the idea about keeping the stand from accidentally going out from underneath the bike.

good you learn it . but thats old news to me :V
Yah, it is old news for me too, people just wanted it posted up??? I have been doing it since like 98??

yall know this aint a real good thing to do right?

the bracket starts to pull on the mount bolts and the hole in the stand and bracket go oval after a bit.
then there is always the breakage issue....can happen...

seen it happen on an r-6. laughed my ass off.

Yup, I have seen an R1 kickstand bend, and a GSXR stand bend too. I do it cuz the 900's kickstand is beefy. And every time I put the bike on the rear stand to adjust the chain or anything else I look over the kickstand mount.

Laters.

Blademan
February 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I saw that done on the shoe Super Bikes on speed. Some dude who rides 1000RR in NYC does that.

speedextreme
February 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I saw that done on the shoe Super Bikes on speed. Some dude who rides 1000RR in NYC does that.

Wow, you saw it long after me. I found out how to do this in 97 I think???

In fact I think I did it from the LVX bs videos???

jawhn
February 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put a crushed aluminum can or thick piece of plastic under the kickstand too, just to keep from extra wear and tear?

Calkidd
February 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put a crushed aluminum can or thick piece of plastic under the kickstand too, just to keep from extra wear and tear?

It is not the wear and tear on the foot of the kick stand it is the amount of weight you are applying on the kickstand that is bad.

I did this a couple of times on my bike and now my kick stand is loose and wobbly.

Stealth
February 15th, 2007, 10:19 PM
They are loose and wobbly from the factory... all my Honda's new and old have been...

Big Kahuna
February 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
OK guys, I finally got the pics taken. I will try to describe how to do it to the best of my knowledge. NOW REMEMBER!!!! This method is used by me, if you throw your own "twist" into it or do it somehow different please let everyone know. The description is of the pics in order (hopefully).You're such a geek! I can't believe you took all this time and effort to complete this how-to.

:V

Although my buddy does this all the time on his Ducati 996, I have yet to really attempt this on either of my bikes. I'm just too scared I guess. :)

speedextreme
February 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
You're such a geek!

Hey, I resemble that remark! :EG :D