PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on a SSSA conversion

Shojeel
May 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Ok so it has been a while since I have posted but have been lurking in the shadows checking information on this site. I have asked before about the vfr SSSA conversion and I know that the 750 swingarm is basically bolt up. Well I am the kinda guy that likes to do the harder things and went out and bought a vfr800 swing arm.

I know I know it is a lot of work but that is ok because work is cheap and so was the part. I found a machine shop guy through a friend that is almost free and now I have a question.

Sil-900 has done the 800 conversion but had forgotten to mention how much was machined off of each side and if the frame needed machining as well. So Sil if you are reading this speak up and please let me know.

Anyways back to my question........

On the left side of the arm I can take about 1/8" off and on the right side I can get 3/8". It pretty much makes thesides of the swing arm flat. If I do this will it make my wheel off center? How much off center is to much? I mean is an 1/8 to much or even 1/4? Will I notice?

Any input is welcome, and yes I will be posting pics as I go through the process. Thanks in advance!:V

Calkidd
May 5th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Have you found the thread regarding the SSSA conversion? There is a pretty extensive thread pertaining to this.

Never mind found it for you...
http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643

Shojeel
May 5th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Yes I have read all of the threads that I can get my eyes on. All of them have to do with 750 swingarms. I am looking for infor on the 800 swingarm and more important is the center of the tire thing.

How far off center can the tire be without really affecting the ride?

jawhn
May 5th, 2007, 08:24 AM
... How far off center can the tire be without really affecting the ride?

...not much. It is pretty critical... ;DOH

Guessing, I'd say 1/16" ~ 1/8", but that's just me guessing. Dead-on is preferred, for sure. If you still have your old swingarm on, I'd say measure from centerpoint of steering race to center of swingarm, and then mark the fram or find some way of holding that rear mark and make sure the SSSA lines up with it?

Don't know if that helped you or not, you might have already thought of all that... Just contributing what I can. :(

Calkidd
May 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I would say thousands of an inch might be acceptable but nothing more.

Big Kahuna's chain broke on him causing hundreds of dollars in engine case repair because his wheel was just slightly off.

Sil-900
May 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Yea, I'm still here. Sorry, but I cant really help here. I had the same thread info, and I just took all of the paperwork to the bike shop and asked them to make it work. I do know that there was no machineing (sp) of the frame. Everything that was done was done to the swingarm. My only suggestion would be to try to make some centerline measurments. Find the centerline on the swingarm, then on the swingarm mount. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I'll put some pics up in a minute.

Shojeel
May 6th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Sil,

When you got the swing arm back was it already mounted to the frame? If not can you tell me what it looked like? Was it flat on the outsides of the arm where it mounts? Was it indented? Thanks for checking in.

Sil-900
May 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM
OK, I can help there. I saw the swingarm before they put it on. There were 2 flat spots on each end, along with the bearings, and a small aluminum spacer that went in on the shifter side. I remember him (kinda remember) telling me that more material had to come off of the shifter side than on the brake side. That thread thats on here was pretty detailed. I actually took the print out that one guy did on his red and black 900 with 929 plastics on it. Hope that helps a little.

Sil-900

Shojeel
May 7th, 2007, 05:25 AM
I don't think I have ever seen that thread. Can you tell me who the author was or maybe even if at all possible throw up a link? Thanks.:)

Shojeel
May 7th, 2007, 06:48 AM
The other thing is, is that the swingarm is actually hallow. Where it mounts is solid. As for the circlips, are those the circular things that protrude on the outside of the mounting point. If so you can only take about an 1/8" off of the drive side before the circlip is gone and you are flush with the rest of the swingarm mount. However on the brake side you can get about 3/8" off before you are flush.

So if he did take more off of the drive side mount then it would either be indented or you would be able to see the inside of your swing arm.

Are you 100% positive that nothing was taken off of the frame?

And can you still post that thread for me that you used?

Shojeel
May 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
OK I was way off on what I thought a circlip was. I now know and am sorry to all that I offended with my far less superior intelligence.

With that out of the way I still need help. Anyone that has done this mod I need some measurements. I need the measurement of each side of the swingarm mount and total measurement of the mount (outer side to outer side). I also nee the measurement of the amount of material that protudes on the frame where the outsides of the swingarm mounts meet the frame. If anyone can help here it will alloow me to determine how much I need to take off of each piece.

Shojeel
May 8th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Sorry I don't know how to edit a post or else these multiple posts would all be in one.

Sil,

I don't know how hard it would be to measure those pieces for me but you are my best chance at figuring this out. If you could help me out it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

fightermc
May 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I hope this is of some help to you mate,i have seen this mod done to 2 bikes
{cbr900's}and the way this was done was 5mm off the right hand side of the
swingarm and 7 mm off the left side of the frame{chainside}and if you want to see it check out www.streetfighters.com.au and look for a guy called Damo1 he has it done.
fightermc

Shojeel
May 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM
fightermc,

I have to say that is the best info that I have seen and thankyou for bringing it into this forum. Here is the link for everyone else:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5060&SearchTerms=conversion
The master and the apprentice!

What I can tell form the post is that they lined up the shock and went from there. One thing that makes me iffy is the "about 5mm or 7mm". Another thing is the year of his bike. Mine is a 94 and I am not sure if it makes a difference or not. Anyone have a guess?

Other than all of that, Sil if you could still help me out with some measurements off your bike I would really appreciate iit. And if anyone else has any suggestions they are welcome. Fightermc thanks again and if you find anything else throw it over. Thanks all.:V

fightermc
May 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Hi mate what wheel are you fitting to it,i have a vfr750 arm on my
blade with a 17x7 inch car wheel on it if you need help in how to
just ask.
rgds
Fightermc

Shojeel
May 9th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I have the wheel that came with the vfr800 arm. It works well, but thanks for the offer.

Sil-900
May 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I finally got some pics up of my 07 project CBR. The paint came out great, but I'll give my make shift high mount another try. It was just a trial and error pipe job from the local mufler shop.

I'll get those measurments for you tomorrow when I get off work.

THX
Sil-900

japanese90022
May 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
okay okay..... I'll spill it out.... here's a guy who's done the VFR 800 step by step info on machining and shows how much he takes off the ends.... re-enforces the swingarm... its EXACTLY what you have to do but for the 900rr....

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4510&whichpage=3

its a SLOOOOW site but be patient and I assure you its ALL worth it!

it will show you that YES you can take off the ends on the swingarm.....just add the pipe bracing between the legs..... I recently found this but was reluctant to let it go.... I wanted to be able to still buy vfr800 for a reasonable price... now that its out.... I'm sure everyone wants the thicker, stronger braced swing arm.....;DOH

japanese90022
May 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I finally got some pics up of my 07 project CBR. The paint came out great, but I'll give my make shift high mount another try. It was just a trial and error pipe job from the local mufler shop.

I'll get those measurments for you tomorrow when I get off work.

THX
Sil-900

yeah.... it looks like you might take an eye out with that pipe ;DOH

but them gauges..... so JEALOUS!

Sime
May 11th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Sil-900, with my F4i gauges, I took the faceplate off and took some 3M 'Tartan' black electrical tape and neatly blacked out the 14-17K part of the tacho.

JMHO, but it looks a lot better.

Shojeel
May 11th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Yeah I have seen that thread but it is for a TL not a 900. If you look on that same site look for a thread called "master and the apprentice". That thread uses a 94 900rr (lucky me) and the same guy did the conversion (EXBEN). Goodluck to all I should be getting my swingarm back soon.

japanese90022
May 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM
The only thing I would do different is as he did in the TL, I would instead of taking off the 7mm off the frame part on the swingarm, making it total - 7mm +5mm =12mm off the swingarm...... since you're going to brace it in the middle of the Y.

:)

Shojeel
May 11th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I donno if I would take 7mm off of the drive side of the swingarm. That is alot of material. That side is already thinner and I think that would be too much, but that is just my opinion.

AzN~BoI_585
May 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
hey guys Im new and just finished reading this thread since I have decided to throw a sssa on my 98' 900RR. I want to do the 800 but it seems like when it comes down to it no one can really tell you what to exactally to shave of the frame/swing arm? I say that since that one guy had to mchine where the sprockets sat after he mounted the swing arm.

Is machining the sprockets and all just simply how you have to do it to mount the 800? did they also take into account having the front and rear tires in alingment? Sing I dont plan on using a car wheel does that change anything for me? (hopefully for the easier)

speedextreme
May 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
hey guys Im new and just finished reading this thread since I have decided to throw a sssa on my 98' 900RR. I want to do the 800 but it seems like when it comes down to it no one can really tell you what to exactally to shave of the frame/swing arm? I say that since that one guy had to mchine where the sprockets sat after he mounted the swing arm.

Is machining the sprockets and all just simply how you have to do it to mount the 800? did they also take into account having the front and rear tires in alingment? Sing I dont plan on using a car wheel does that change anything for me? (hopefully for the easier)

Number one, why do the 800, if the 750 is a stronger swingarm for our bikes and easier to bolt on by just changing the spacers on the swingarm pivot bolt?

Number two, machining the sprockets? Who in their right mind would machine a sprocket to make something line up???

Number three, what are you talking about a car wheel for???

I am not trying to bash or anything, but if you have done the research on this mod, then you should know that the VFR750 swingarm is a direct bolt on to the 900RR with new spacers made to center the swingarm in the frame. Then you have the opportunity to use either the 750's 8 or 5 spoke wheels, or the 800's 5 spoke wheel. The 800's wheel will need a little machining done to it to mount to the 750's swingarm (which I think could be fixed by getting an 800's hub unit? Don't know though). And why would you use a car wheel on a bike anyhow, the car wheel doesn't have the bead reenforcement the bike wheel does so the bike tire might fit the rim, but it wouldn't be safe???

You have me totally confuseled on this??? :CONF

jawhn
May 24th, 2007, 09:05 PM
... Number three, what are you talking about a car wheel for??? ...

Read post #15.

Shojeel
May 25th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Well to try and answer all of your questions.......

I have decided against the car wheel for now. It would be nice for show but the tire I think would eventually flatten out. It is a doable mod as stated in other threads. I was a little concerned about saftey myself but seeing a few others with the mod it put my worries at rest. I will do it one day just not now.

As for the 800 SSSA opposed to the 750. Everybody and their mother does this, yeah I want to be a little different and seeing as only one other person on this site has attempted the conversion I think that I am justified in my attempt and success at this point. I have completed the machining and the spacer will be done shortly. The sprocket holder needs to be machined down and I need the front sprocket spacer done as well. I estimate a 1 week time frame untill I am finished.

The plastics are off at paint, almost all of my peices are in except for brake lines and mirrors, and I have a half chubby popped just thinking about it being done..............................Calming down, breath, breath:EG

I will begin posting pics once I have got everything back to me. Soon I promise.

I hope that answers everything. Feel free to ask questions and leave comments.:V

AzN~BoI_585
May 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Speedxtreme: Actually I thought the 800 was the stronger swing arm the 750 is just much simpler to install?...and to why i want the 800, well because if it is stronger and stiffer than the 750 then Ide rather have it and as Shojeel said, I like being different and taking the unbeaten path. Sorry if you got confused by what I ment by sprocket, no I did not mean the actual sprocket I meant the spocket spacers. As for the car wheel...I want to kno if using a car wheel instead of a stock wheel will change what you have to get machined, yes a car wheel doesnt sound that safe, but if you had read/ looked at the pics on the links posted or looked at the 1st page at post #15 then you might understand why I asked this. Maybe next time you'll read the whole thread before you start bashing.

Shojeel, I am really considering the 800SSSA for my 98' RR fighter project. I kno the machine shop didnt tell you much on measurements but any would be very helpful to me...I kno a welder/machinest that happens to be into bikes but hes not exactally a custom bike builder ( i dunno if the shop you went to fabs bike parts for a daily grind?) but he will be much more familiar with this work than any other machinest around me that I know of, but it would be nice to have some measurements if possible.

Sime
May 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
The 750 arm is plenty strong enough for the 900RR...even a highly modified one like mine.

My bike has 153.6hp and over 76lb ft torque at the wheel and the arm and hub have no issues supporting that power. I feel absolutely no flex...in fact, the bike handles beautifully...on one wheel or two! :D

The only reason why you'd attempt the 800 arm conversion is to be different. I'll give kudos to that...but as to strength, the 750 arm is perfectly suited, and it is waaay easier to do.

Cheers,
Sime

AzN~BoI_585
May 27th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Well I lost the bid for a 02' vfr800 swing arm...damn anyone got anything for sale 800 or 750??? all i can find are those shitty 80's vfr swing arms...

speedextreme
May 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Speedxtreme: Actually I thought the 800 was the stronger swing arm the 750 is just much simpler to install?...

No the 750 is the stronger of the two if you look at them by themselves and not mounted to the bikes. The 800 swingarm is setup to be used with the engine for the swingarm pivot bolt. So when you look at it, it is in the shape of a "Y" at the one end wheras the 750 allready has the swingarm pivot bolt "tube" in the center of the points. No need to strengthen the swingarm for anything.

Sorry if you got confused by what I ment by sprocket, no I did not mean the actual sprocket I meant the spocket spacers.

What??? I don't know of any sprocket spacers on our bikes. For that matter if you are so "good" at reading all the information to know about this or any other mod you would know this also. The "spacers" that are talked about are for the swingarm pivot bolt, to "center" or "allign" the chain from the drive sprocket on the engine to the rear sprocket on the hub. If those are the "spacers" you are talking about please figure out what you mean.

As for the car wheel...I want to kno if using a car wheel instead of a stock wheel will change what you have to get machined, yes a car wheel doesnt sound that safe, but if you had read/ looked at the pics on the links posted or looked at the 1st page at post #15 then you might understand why I asked this.

To answer your question NO, it will not have anything to do with machining. If you use a car wheel how will that affect the machining of the swingarm pivot area in the frame??????? I don't understand your logic behind the question you are talking about two different ends of the swingarm. The pivot end where it connects to the frame and the wheel/tire end where the wheel/tire mount up too??:CONF But, looks like some don't really care about others opinions on being safe. Yes I saw the post, and yes if you noticed I did reply that you "could" use one. Did you look at his "Car" wheel with the sportbike tire on it? Look at how flat that tire is! I think it might be a 180 or a 190. If so I wouldn't run it being that the rim is a 17x7 car rim. One the bead reinforsment isn't there, two a 7" wide rim would accomodate a 200 rear tire minimum!!!!! To even be thought of as the right size bike tire to put on a 7"wide rim!!! And I am not bashing him for using a car wheel. I mean to each there own, that is what this place is for OPINIONS and ANSWERS!!!!!

Maybe next time you'll read the whole thread before you start bashing.

Hey asshole, if you look at the post I replied with I did not bash you or anyone else!!!!! I have read the whole thread, you asked a couple of questions and I answered them. This reply will probably get me "counsled" again for being rude, but I am sorry, if I am the only one to stand up for myself against newbies who think they know it all OR I said OR!!! Figure they can ask all the questions they want and not get the answer they are looking for and then going off on the people who at least gave an answer. OH WELL GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And on the newbies thing, we "more seasoned" people on here always get the shaft of the "counselings". I mean, someone can put in the little "bash" at the end of their post without anything done, but once someone stands up for themselves it is a different matter.

Hey this is just how I feel.
Laters.:EG!!!!!!!!!!

AzN~BoI_585
May 27th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hahahaha oook man relax Im not a know-it-all and Im not trying to infringe on your "more seasoned" civil rights, dont knitpick most other ppl seemed to know what im talking about.

BACK ON TOPIC, thanx for pointing out where the 750 swing arm is stronger than the 800.

japanese90022
May 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Depends on what you call strong... a properly machined VFR800 swingarm is
stronger;DOH

speedextreme
May 29th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Depends on what you call strong... a properly machined VFR800 swingarm is
stronger;DOH

Not hurting anyones feelings. Didn't mean that with the last post either. WE CAN GET ALONG!!!

But if you take a stock for stock swingarms the 750 is stronger cuz it has more metal there to begin with than the 800. NOT TO SAY that the 800 swingarm is not strong enough. There is just something to say about the 800 where you have to take metal off to make it fit then add metal in to make it stronger for use???? Correct????

I think the guys on the 929/954 would be able to use the 800's swingarm a lot easier than us on the 900's cuz their swingarms are very similar to the ones on the 800's.

Anyone (cough Dennis) want to try it??? Heh heh heh...:Laughs

Shojeel
May 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I have to say that I have been deep into this project and even deeper into the research. No matter which SSSA you want you will need to machine somthing. Either the wheel to fit the hub on the 750 or the frame and the arm for an 800. I have heard nothing about one or the other being stronger and really it all comes down to preference and money.

I am lucky as I know a ton of people that have the skills that I don't to do this mod and they are cheap. I would say if you don't have the resources or money do the 750 conversion. It will be less expensive, but if you are like myself and wanna be special go for the 800. It looks great and there are few people that have done it. Lazy bastards with 750's, hahahahaha.:Laughs

But really I have enjoyed ripping my bike apart and am now putting humpty dumpty back together. Paint parts come back this week and everything else should follow shortly. Talk to you guys again soon. Have a good day.

AzN~BoI_585
May 29th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Ive been looking for a vfr swingarm for a while now with no luck so since I kno some machinest Im just gonna get which every I find first at a decent price.

On the 750 , speedxtreme brought up a good thought, can you just install a 800's hub on a 750?

japanese90022
May 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Ive been looking for a vfr swingarm for a while now with no luck so since I kno some machinest Im just gonna get which every I find first at a decent price.

On the 750 , speedxtreme brought up a good thought, can you just install a 800's hub on a 750?

90-93 VFR (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 565
Pivot width: 242 (+3.5 thrust collar)
Pivot diameter: 20
Eccentric outside diameter: 105
Eccentric width: 70 (+3 crenelated 'edge')
Caliper carrier diameter: 75
Caliper carrier width: 14
Brake rotor diameter: 255
Brake rotor mount diameter: 110
Sprocket mount diameter: 175
Wheel drive diameter: 100

94-97 VFR (shock linkage mount is one lobe on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is an 'eye')
Length: 560
Pivot width: 227 (+3.5 thrust collar)

In all out honesty.... no sense changing the hub... it'll just add more $$$... easier to just have the rear wheel machined so the bolts that stick out on the 94-97 hub don't get the in way..... The hubs swingarms alone are hard to come by... you think the hubs are more easier? :z

here's a site that gives you exactly what you need to do.... (http://www.tireqwik.com/sssa/menu.html) He does exactly what you intend on doing... 94-97 swingarm... and vfr800 5.5 rear wheel. :CONF

I know people just like one stop research... but google (http://google.com) is a researcher's best friend... no offense... but everyone just wishes to get information hand fed.... people know because they research!.:Poke

This site alone has old posts mostly on this issue.... "Search" above and find it.... especially look at member's posts on those that indicate they have SSSA's on their bikes. Go from their oldest to newest posts to see... Sime, The Bear.... and much more people have given great info on body swaps, tank swaps, fork and wheel swaps, SSSA's, and their personal feelings and thoughts of their results. That's what makes this site so great!! it's a library of information. It's also the main reason that older veterans have become tired of replying on issues that have already been spoken about.....:CEN

ADDED Note:: Please realize that the SSSA swap will change your wheel base... it makes it longer by a little more. Some say its more stable... some prefer the shorter stop wheel base for doing wheelies.... its all personal taste and riding style.

damo1
May 30th, 2007, 12:08 AM
this is a VFR800 in a 94 blade ` the wheel base is the same from the center of the swing arm to the center of the axle all you have to do is rotate the adjuster then cut your chain to the lenght to keep the wheel base you want:pound

The y at the front is fixed easy with a spacer between it.:Laughs

The VFR800 is a heaps better looking arm its a beefier one than a 750:V

Do the mod its a great difference to the looks.:EG

:flipoff:puke

Shojeel
May 30th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Damo,

Your on here as well. So you all know after getting the balls to do this mod I found the info on one of Damo's threads on another site. He and Exben did everything and I have to say they did it right. I got my spacer for the "Y" last night and installed.

I ran into a small problem where the drive side of the swingarm mount grinds a bit against the frame. Easy fix though, I will just take a bit more off of the frame and it should be all set. Next thing is to line up the chain and the wheel and I will be on the road. Finally!!!!!

I agree with Damo that the 800 looks better but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Later duders.:V

damo1
May 31st, 2007, 12:33 AM
Very rarely come around here dont seem to see eye to eye with everyone;DOH

But yeah sounds like a bit more off the frame and you in bussiness;)

did you go with the rear 7" like you spoke about:D

And for christ sake get some pics up on that other site you refure to Sho where all still waiting espeicially after we gave you that advice the lest you could do is show us the pics:headbang

;)Good to hear from you

Shojeel
May 31st, 2007, 08:04 AM
Will do Damo. Don't feel left out, I haven't posted pics anywhere yet. They are coming though and soon.

Question..........

What is the rear sprocket holder? Can you take a picture of yours for me? I need to get mine out to the michine shop.

Talk to you soon.

Oh and the 7" wheel; I think that I will go for it just not yet. I really just wanna ride so it will be later until I get that on. But it will happen.

gixerkiller
May 31st, 2007, 09:34 AM
Anyone (cough Dennis) want to try it??? Heh heh heh...:Laughs

ummm no.....with what i do with the bike the twin beam swingarm is the best choice.

for show.....sure but for the track and such........i need the stability of the twin beam. the single sided units (UNLESS PROPERLY BUILT BY SOMEONE LIKE SPONDON) have an increased amount of flex, which would make proper set up very difficult if not imposible.

if i ever build a show bike i will end up doing something like this.

think i'll buy a dedicated track bike first and another 29 motor to play with.

japanese90022
May 31st, 2007, 09:51 AM
I just can't agree on a mod that changes the structural integrity of a factory frame..... At least with the VFR750 swingarm, it's reversable but with some of the swaps that I see with vfr800's.... you're changing the frame structure... its now and forever a CFR900RR.... or a Fireceptor 900RR.... in other words... it's one of those what-you-might-call-its...... I like the idea of refining... but can't say I'm too crazy of chop-shop conversions(no offense to anyone)..... I love the end results that I see.. but will always have some skepticism of whether I would be willing to take my chances when you're just on two wheels(questions that echo in my head will always be about the proper alignment of the wheels)..... The best swingarm choice for the job is really the RC30/45 swingarms.... which are nearly impossible to find.... however, I have also heard of MV Agusta F4 swingarms being great.... :CONF

speedextreme
May 31st, 2007, 10:42 AM
CFR900RR.... or a Fireceptor 900RR....

I love it!!! :D I actually like the "Fireceptor". If I do mine in this fashion I think I will have stickers made up that say this. Cuz a "Ceptor" is a variation of a "Blade" or "spear" is it not??!!

The best swingarm choice for the job is really the RC30/45 swingarms.... which are nearly impossible to find....

Now why do you say this?? I am not badgering I am curious, cuz I have found some RC swingarms going on the ole Ebay really cheap. In fact I am looking at one somewhere going for like 10 Bucks!!! I have allways wondered about these swingarms too. Would they work in the 900RR frames? How much machining would be needed? Then since the hub is a single nut style, will the VFR wheels work? Cuz the RC wheels are something like 18" in diameter!!!

Really curious on this one??!!??

japanese90022
May 31st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Now why do you say this?? I am not badgering I am curious, cuz I have found some RC swingarms going on the ole Ebay really cheap. In fact I am looking at one somewhere going for like 10 Bucks!!! I have allways wondered about these swingarms too. Would they work in the 900RR frames? How much machining would be needed? Then since the hub is a single nut style, will the VFR wheels work? Cuz the RC wheels are something like 18" in diameter!!!

10 Bucks??? I wish I could find one at that price!! I think you're mistakening for the NC30 swingarm which is the VFR400/RVF400 swing arm. The RC 30/45 swingarms are shorter in length and stronger braced due to their application = Race oriented.

Here are some spec differences:

90-93 VFR (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 565
Pivot width: 242 (+3.5 thrust collar)
94-97 VFR (shock linkage mount is one lobe on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is an 'eye')
Length: 560
Pivot width: 227 (+3.5 thrust collar)
Hawk (shock is direct-mounted to top of swingarm)(shock end is an 'eye')
Length: 545
Pivot width: 235
Pivot diameter (right): 15
Pivot diameter (left): <22
Brake rotor diameter: 240
Brake rotor mount diameter: 100
Sprocket mount diameter: 165
RC30 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 530
Pivot width: 235
Caliper carrier diameter: 76
Caliper carrier width: 13
Brake rotor diameter: 220
Sprocket mount diameter: 140
Wheel drive diameter: 85
RC45 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 540
Pivot width: 250
Eccentric outside diameter: 117
Eccentric width: 77 (+3 crenelated 'edge')
Caliper carrier diameter: 76
Caliper carrier width: 13
RVF400 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 540 (??)
Pivot width: 215
Eccentric outside diameter: 105 (??)
Eccentric width: 60 (+3 crenelated 'edge')
Caliper carrier diameter: 76 (??)
Caliper carrier width: 15
NSR250 / mc28
MV Agusta F4 (shock linkage mount is bolt on, under swingarm. linkage arrangement is similar to Ducati 916)
Length: 545
Pivot width: 255
Eccentric width: 76
Wheel drive diamter: 85

You can get a 17X6 wheel from Marchesini and Dymag for these bikes with single bolt rims;DOH

speedextreme
May 31st, 2007, 12:08 PM
Heck on this subject I was also thinking about the Ducati 916/996/998 swingarms too? There are a lot of "Factory equipment" SSSA's out there. And it just comes down to what "will" work, and what will work with machining/modifications???

Just to name a few of the SSSA bikes that are factory stockers!

Honda:
VFR250 (overseas only I think? cuz I could have sworn I have seen one)
VFR400
VFR750
VFR800
RC30
RC45
NC30
HAWK650
RUNE
GOLDWING

Ducati
Certain Monsters

MV
M41000's

Aprillia
some 250's

Who am I missing???

japanese90022
May 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Who am I missing???

BMW's.....
Triumph Triple's.....

The problem is... on the smaller CC's the curve of the brace is arm is smaller and can only accept smaller wheels. As for some bikes, even honda's come with ride side drive chain instead of left. Hardest part of the Ducati's is that most from my understanding were Magnesium and is much more difficult to weld and machine these casted Magnesium swingarms. :CONF

japanese90022
May 31st, 2007, 01:55 PM
Honda:
VFR250 (overseas only I think? cuz I could have sworn I have seen one)

The US had only the VTR250's... that have only partial fairings like the Yamaha Seca's and Suzuki SV's... but did not have SSSA's

If my memory serves me correct, Honda also had a few 125's or 150's that had SSA's as well. People put them on the Aprilia's and other smaller cc bikes....

gixerkiller
May 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM
I love it!!! :D I actually like the "Fireceptor". If I do mine in this fashion I think I will have stickers made up that say this. Cuz a "Ceptor" is a variation of a "Blade" or "spear" is it not??!!

a true rc with the "gull wing" arm would look bitchin.....these are tough to find.

damo1
June 1st, 2007, 01:34 AM
(UNLESS PROPERLY BUILT BY SOMEONE LIKE SPONDON)

Yeah your right dont trust Honda to built something:Laughs

Gday Gixer i wondered how long it would take for you to respond after me.;)

As for chop shop mods or what ever it was someone said all you do is remove 3mm off the left hand frame lug the frame is untouched other than that.:CONF

The swing arm is machined and the right hand bearing replaced with a sealed one but the bit removed is not structual at all.:pound

Ill get some shots up on the other web site for you on sunday im working tomorrow:D

damo1
June 1st, 2007, 01:50 AM
Question..........

What is the rear sprocket holder? Can you take a picture of yours for me? I need to get mine out to the michine shop.

Oh and the 7" wheel; I think that I will go for it just not yet. I really just wanna ride so it will be later until I get that on. But it will happen.[/QUOTE]

The rear sproket carrier is the bit that the sproket bolts to, its held on by the one big nut on the left of the bike undo it and remove the hub/sproket carrier;)

Just make sure if your not going to use the 7" straight up that you have the arm over to the left enough to get the wheel in there after or you wont be able to do it :confused:

Just go off the measurments me/exben gave you (obviously they will very slightly as mentioned before)and should be right.:V

Do you still need pics of the carrier:CONF

Shojeel
June 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM
Nope just wanted to make sure that I was taking the correct piece off to machine. Thanks Damo.

damo1
June 1st, 2007, 10:27 PM
No dramas Sho ;)

richy5866
March 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM
I know this thread has been done to death but I have just done a SSSA conversion on my 97 blade, but used a 800 as 750;s are just too hard to come by in the UK. Whilst i got most info from here i didnt find it as hard as i first thought. I will tell you what I did which may make it easier for all who can only come across 800 SSSA.
The first thing i did before anything was to draw a centre line down the bike from the headstock i used one of them laser line gadgets and masking tape on frame and airbox and wheel and then marked a line on the masking tape.
As you probably know the 800 SA is 12mm too big so i took 5mm off the frame lug on the drive side, and 7mm off the brake side on the SA, I got this machined as there are two sealed bearings and after 7mm has been removed there will be only room for one, so i took it to a machine shop and he bored it out so both bearings, circlip and dust seal can fit.
off my original SA i cut the large tube between the two sides where the bearings are and got it welded between the Y.
now the SA will fit it was time to line it up so it was a case of putting it together and seeing what needed taking off the internal tube/spacer, i used the internal/spacer that came with the SSSA as a rough one and once i had worked out how much it needed to come over towards the drive side, I took it apart and removed the amount of metal off the internal spacer and bolted it together again, it took 3 attempts till all was lined up i then used the original Spacer from the CBR SA and got it machined to length, everything lined up apart from the front/rear sprocket , which was only 1mm out so i put a spacer behind the front sprocket, what i forgot to mention was i used a vfr 800 front sprocket, which standard is 17t, but i opted for a 15t and standard rear 800 sprocket, this will give you a 530 chain conversion as well.
Thats it, all works well and is all lined up, i also got a rear shock off an 08 blade which bolts straight on just needs a washer on the top mount between shock and mount.
I will post pictures when i get chance, as its in for paint at the minute and i work out of the country , i also put a 04 R1 back end but thats another story.
As i said this site is invaluable for info, and i probably would not have attempted it if i had not read up on it and seeing what it involved, but like everyone has pointed out if you can get a 750 use that much easier.
I may get chance to ride it if it ever stops raining but that may just be asking too much.

bad dog
March 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info, I found another guy that said the 800 SSSA was cake.

970rr
March 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM
I will post pictures when i get chance, as its in for paint at the minute and i work out of the country , i also put a 04 R1 back end but thats another story.

please do, everyone loves pics here, i'd like to see your setup!

richy5866
March 21st, 2010, 05:21 PM
please do, everyone loves pics here, i'd like to see your setup!

I will post pics ASAP my friend when i get back from the S**thole country i am currently in, It should be painted by nowbut i havent seen the bike yet but i know it will be sexual chocolate

jawhn
March 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
:)Welcome

Glad to have you aboard, and thanks for the info / upcoming pictures! :V

richy5866
April 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM
:)Welcome

Glad to have you aboard, and thanks for the info / upcoming pictures! :V

Well as promised here are some pics of the beast:) if you go to my profile the same pics are there with the mods ive done

jawhn
April 24th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Wow! That looks really nice. The windscreen looks like an air brake, though. :EG

richy5866
April 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Wow! That looks really nice. The windscreen looks like an air brake, though. :EG

i agree first thing i thouht of when i put it on but i couldnt get a non dubble bubble iridium, but at least when i ride down the high street and all the chicks start throwing there soiled panties at me the screen will whip them over the top of my helmet and my vision wont be affected, i knew there was a reason for dubble bubbles:Laughs