PDA

View Full Version : Running at the strip for the first time....

Sime
June 12th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Ok, so there's this meet for my car club at the drag strip. Cars and bikes are welcome. I'd like to take the Frankenblade, but I have never run it in anger before. I hate to admit it, but I am clueless when it comes to drag strip skillz!

What tire pressures should I run?
Do I need to strap the front of the bike down?
Alternatively, instead of strapping, can I raise the forks in the triples?
If so, by how much?
Do I need to lower the rear of the bike?
Can I get away with not doing this?
When I start, do I keep both my feet out, or put them on the pegs?
Should I start in 1st or 2nd gear?
Do I need to do a burnout before the start (I am running Pilot Powers)

I'm currently running a 15T/45T combo, but as it is, I can't put full power down in first because it is just too violent, and the front wheel will lift purely under power in second. Plus I have flatslide carbs too. I am thinking of putting the 16T front sprocket back on.

What sort of time should I expect with 154 at the rear wheel?

Thanks,
Sime

Calkidd
June 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Ooohhhh...........Charelieho.

He'd be the man to talk to about this.

speedextreme
June 12th, 2007, 09:12 AM
O.K. Sime, I will give you my "novice" drag racing advice.

Try doing it with "normal" tire pressure first, and without doing a burnout. Those Powers have plenty of grip. Start off first (right now) by going out to a back road without a lot of traffic and just attempt a few drag launches.

The key to a good launch is keeping the RPM's at around 3000, and feathering out the clutch as fast as you can while keeping the front end down. You can compensate for the front end coming up by trying your hardest to put your chest on top of the windscreen. You won't beable to put it there, but as close to the windscreen as possible. Strapping the bike is the easiest way to keep the front end down. Because then with the strap you don't get the "bouncing" affect that the suspension supplies you.

If you get good launches and you start to enjoy this more, try letting out 5psi each time you make a run till you are at around 20psi. That should help you get more traction with still being somewhat able to control the bike.

I have a blast when I can get to Friday Night Drags. I only get about 4 runs per night, and my best run being an 11.1 @ 127mph, but that was cuz I just ran the street bike and lofted the front all the way thru first at a foot off the ground.

You should get at least that kind of time depending on your reaction times and 60' times.

One last trick for you......Go BALLS OUT ALL THE WAY DOWN THE TRACK!!! DOn't worry about the timing lights at the end. When I stopped trying to see where the traps were, I dropped almost a second off my time. Cuz when I would start to slow down, was BEFORE the traps. ;DOH

Laters and have fun!!!!

jawhn
June 12th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Ok, I've only done it once, with 66droptop, but here's what little I remember:

You want to be only on the back wheel at launch, and for a while. Power wheelies help keep traction to rear tire and make sure you're on it as hard as you can be. But only power wheelies, not showboat wheelies.

I think I ran my back tire at 27psi to start, and let air out as needed to stay around that number.

Obviously, run the damn thing to the rev limiter - rather, just a chair before the rev limiter. Or, alterntively, wherever your powerband is. With your bike, shouldn't be a problem. And I think starting in second might be better for you, with all that power and gearing...

No burnouts. Unnecessary. AND AVOID THE WATER BOX COMPLETELY. Do not get your tires wet at all unless you want to test your leathers that night...

Likewise, pay attention to water drops left by cars and don't ride though that part. If the tire marks from the previous car are dry, launch off those as they're rubbery/stickier.

MAKE SURE to look waaaaaaay ahead and aim there. Do not look at sides, or things right in front of your bike. It's easy to lose sight of the end target and that would be a mess at 150mph. And yeah, keep accelerating PAST the triplights. There's plenty of time to slow down afterwards...

HTH a little... It's fun, I can't wait to go again... *cough Rob* :D

CharlieHo
June 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM
What tire pressures should I run? Depending on how they prep the track 20-30 psi rear
Do I need to strap the front of the bike down?Will definitely help, increases unsprung weight
Alternatively, instead of strapping, can I raise the forks in the triples?Not much help here for drag racing purposes
Do I need to lower the rear of the bike? If you have the parts to do so, why not?
Can I get away with not doing this?I ran for 3 years with just strapping the front
When I start, do I keep both my feet out, or put them on the pegs?Before I installed an electric shifter, I had both feet on pegs before i had the clutch all the way out
Should I start in 1st or 2nd gear?FIRST!!!!!
Do I need to do a burnout before the start (I am running Pilot Powers)The only reason I ever do a burnout is when the track is poorly prepped and I spin @ the 1-2 shift. I've NEVER spun off the line. So... No, stay out of the water

I'm currently running a 15T/45T combo, but as it is, I can't put full power down in first because it is just too violent, and the front wheel will lift purely under power in second. Plus I have flatslide carbs too. I am thinking of putting the 16T front sprocket back on.Sounds like re-installing the 16t would be a pretty good idea here

What sort of time should I expect with 154 at the rear wheel?Depending on your launches (and your weight, etc) I'd guess mid/high 10's in the 1/4 (mid/high 6's 1/8)

Thanks,
Sime

Have fun!!

bikerdave
June 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM
This is exactly what I would like to do on my 900.

I would:
1. practice at the track(IMO a back road is ok but the track is where to
get your experience, for me there is always that question out on the street.
2. I put both feet down and let the bike pull me away as I leave the line.
3. Run your race. There ain't nothing on the other side of the line that is
any of your business.
4. I love guys who think they can control their dial in times by slowing at
the timing lights at the end. I consistantly used to blow by them while they
were trying to be "smart". I don't know about you but I don't have a hell of
a lot of practice judging 1/100 of a second at 1??? mi./hr.
5. I know that when I moved up from a 750 to a 1100 the first time off the line there was so much happening that I was really challenged getting my feet on to the pegs to kick gears.
6. It will be a learning experience.
7. IMO, go for consitancy then you can work on the speed.
8. I would start in bone stock street set up until you get the experience
to start experimenting with what "extra" stuff works for you.

Last and far from least, have a blast. I'm jealous.
It is so much fun.:V

speedextreme
June 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Oh yah, almost forgot. NEVER NEVER NEVER....No matter what anyone else has to say, don't ever do a 4/10's light. (pronounced: four tenths) That screwed me up big time. The first 4 passes I ever did was the 1/2 second lights. Where it goes Staging lights. Then yellow, yellow, yellow, green. And the lights come on 1/2 sec or so apart. The 4/10 lights are Staging lights, then ALL THREE YELLOW then green. And it takes only 4 10's of a second to get the green from the time the yellow come on.

Let me tell you. I was like "Sure I will try it". I am staged and saying to myself "As soon as you see yellow, go/As soon as you see yellow, go/As soon as you see, ah shit GREEN" :Laughs Then I took off. Let me tell you my reaction time sucked big time. I think it was over 1 sec. and I am usually a constant .6-.7 all night. I think my best was a .4 but the bike "coughed" off the line on that one. I have not redlighted yet. But that damn 4/10 SUCKS!!!

Have fun.

Mark 900RR
June 12th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah here they call it instant green light night it is ok after you get used to it I used to take my RX7 to the track all the time it was a blast my reaction times were like .5-.6 some were so horrible though it took me some time to get used to it. I would recomend doing a short like 5sec burnout on the drive part of the track just to get your back tire alittle warm then go from there just enough to get it sticky any longer and it will turn to slime and goo and spin all ove the place.

bikerdave
June 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Chris, I gotta differ in opinion.

I believe what you are talking about 4/10's.

They are used, I beleve, with what are called bracket racing.
You get the double stage lights and then each yellow light
comes on every 1/10 of a second.

The other light is a "pro"light which all three of the yellow lights
comes on 15/100's after both stage lights come on for both racers.

With the bracket lights, I had to Start everything clutch out
gas up from 1500 rpm idle to 3000 start rpm and go between
the 2nd and 3rd yellow light.

And ya, feather(slip) the crap out of the clutch.

The problem with Honda clutches that I found is that when they get
warm and have been used repeatedly the clap and don't stick.

This is why I went to Barnett racing clutch springs with stock honda
plates. The plates are fine but the springs don't work as well

That got me reasonable lights.

Meanie5470
June 12th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I assume you know how to shift when youre racing but in case you dont... as you are powering through each gear, keep your toe pressed up on the shifter as if youre trying to upshift. The instant you let off in the gas to shift itll just pop into the next gear. Dont worry it wont upshift until you let off the gas. Aside from the launch youre not touching the clutch.

jawhn
June 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Isn't that how the engagement dogs, shift fork and arm get bent, though? :CONF Kinda like clutchless shifting when doing wheelies, stunters kill trannys all the time.

Just as a maintenance warning. I'm sure it drops times...

Meanie5470
June 13th, 2007, 03:50 AM
cant imagine its GOOD for it but it takes a lot to kill a trans doing that. Now that I said that hell prob blow his trans the first time he tries it haha. Stunters kill their trans by clutching up wheelies more so then clutchless shifts.

speedextreme
June 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Isn't that how the engagement dogs, shift fork and arm get bent, though? :CONF Kinda like clutchless shifting when doing wheelies, stunters kill trannys all the time.

I don't know, I must be doing it right then. And you have seen the way I ride Jawhn. I clutchless shift all the time going up, sometimes even going down!!! But def during dragracing or hard acceleration runs.

Bent dogs and forks comes from too much pressure on the shifter in between shifts, and not letting the shifter return to its point of rest between shifts.

In fact clutchless shifting is easier than in a truck. And I can drive a manual trans vehicle without touching the clutch, except for when the vehicle is stopped and to get going again. Other than that you can upshift and downshift a manual trans as much as you want without hurting a damn thing!!

OH yah, and Dave that is what I meant by the four tenths light. Someone told me that the type that we ran was that. But you are correct. Sime, DON"T DO A PROLIGHT!!!!!

66droptop
June 13th, 2007, 07:14 PM
What tire pressures should I run? Normal street psi. Don't lower it or do burnouts unless track prep sucks and you're having traction issues. Otherwise keep it normal. And low psi will start to knock down your trap speeds.
Do I need to strap the front of the bike down? No, but it helps. The bike gets real twitchy though. Corners like a battleship, but it's tippy.
Alternatively, instead of strapping, can I raise the forks in the triples? That works too. Easy to do also.
If so, by how much? How much can you go before your fender is kissing your headlight?
Do I need to lower the rear of the bike? No. I haven't tried this yet. Can't give any input on it.
Can I get away with not doing this? Yes
When I start, do I keep both my feet out, or put them on the pegs?I keep them out like outriggers. Another aid in keeping your weight to the front.
Should I start in 1st or 2nd gear? First.
Do I need to do a burnout before the start (I am running Pilot Powers) Only do burnouts and cut tire pressure if needed. If it's a slip n slide, then yes. If it hooks nicely, then no.

DON'T TOUCH THE WATER BOX! The water box rapes children and eats kittens.

I launch the bike at about 6000rpm. Slip the hell out of the clutch. Unless I'm avoiding some type of catastrophe, once the third yellow is lit, the bike doesn't see anything but wide open throttle. All throttle-type modulations are done with the clutch. If the nose is coming up, I start to slip the clutch. When it's time to shift, I use the clutch. But I already have pressure on the lever with my toe, so I just hand-spasm the clutch so it'll grab the next gear. The clutch does on/off quicker than the engine and my carbs.

Halfass the first pass on everything. Just see how it feels and how everything looks. Launch it kind of easy, go easy on the shifts, et cetera. My first pass ever was an 11.27 @ 124, and that's about par for any track outing's first pass. Then it's balls out. Keep trying new things and getting more aggressive.

My bike will run 11.0 all night long with my eyes closed. Pushing harder will get me 10.8s. I trap 127 to 129mph. I would expect your bike to be bottom 10s with 154whp.

jawhn
June 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I was hoping Rob would post up eventually. :D

How much longer, man? Till the infamous beast is completely... Oh, wait, you still need to transport it to the dyno, huh? :DOH

66droptop
June 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I was hoping Rob would post up eventually. :D

How much longer, man? Till the infamous beast is completely... Oh, wait, you still need to transport it to the dyno, huh? :DOH
Saturday, if possible, homie. I get off work at noonish.

DEFINITELY appreciate it!

Sime
June 16th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all the info! I will definitely avoid the water box.

Just waiting to see what the weather is going to be like. If it is too cold, I am not going to take the bike. Powers might be grippy tires, but when the temp drops into the 40's as it very well might do here next Saturday, a fella has to be careful! I don't want to slide the bike down the quarter and I certainly don't want to test my leathers out!

Cheers,
Sime

jawhn
June 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all the info! I will definitely avoid the water box.

Just waiting to see what the weather is going to be like. If it is too cold, I am not going to take the bike. Powers might be grippy tires, but when the temp drops into the 40's as it very well might do here next Saturday, a fella has to be careful! I don't want to slide the bike down the quarter and I certainly don't want to test my leathers out!

Cheers,
Sime

Ahhhhhh... Just take it a little bit easier and you have the perfect excuse for your first time. :V

I assume it's cheap there, yes? Like $20 USD to run all night? It's so worth it...

Sime
June 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Ahhhhhh... Just take it a little bit easier and you have the perfect excuse for your first time. :V

I assume it's cheap there, yes? Like $20 USD to run all night? It's so worth it...

$40 to run as much as I want. But then there's the trailer rental as well...plus I wanted to run my car...so that's another $40....plus gas. I may hold off on taking the bike. We'll see how it pans out closer to the day.

speedextreme
June 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM
So what kind of car do you run Sime??? A Holden GTS??? An old classic or a new one??? That new one that is like our US version GTO is a friggin beast of a car. I like them a lot. I wouldn't mind picking up an old right hand drive Holden myself and hot rod the thing out!!!

Laters.

Sime
June 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I have an 02 Subaru WRX STi which has been rebuilt with a forged bottom end, large head studs, race bearings, front mount intercooler, Garrett-based AVO450 hybrid turbo (500hp turbo), aftermarket ECU and a bunch of other goodies.

So far, it has put down 235kw (315hp) at all four wheels. That's about 410hp at the flywheel, so it hauls! Only went to the strip one time and got a 12.76 @ 107.16. We have to work out why the ET was so low for my mods.

Cheers,
Sime

jawhn
June 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
... We have to work out why the ET was so low for my mods. ...

Use higher octane fuel.

:rolleyes:

Oh, I had to. It's been too long.

Gator
June 20th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Jawhn, Jawhn, Jawhn, what am I going to do with you? :D

bikerdave
June 20th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Yea, right Jawhn, you just HAD too.

I doubt greatly that some one had a gun to your head while you
were typing!:EG

What, did someone threaten you with a good time to do it?;DOH
LOL.

Sime
June 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Use higher octane fuel.

:rolleyes:

Oh, I had to. It's been too long.

All jokes aside, you're actually right mate!

The car is tuned on 98RON Premium fuel, but if I wanted more power and a higher trap speed, we would go to 100RON or even C16 race fuel, which is 117 (motor) octane. Hell, there's even Elf 124 octane too!

jawhn
June 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Uh oh. :p

jawhn
June 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM
... I doubt greatly that some one had a gun to your head while you were typing!:EG ...

Hehe.

speedextreme
June 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM
I have an 02 Subaru WRX STi which has been rebuilt with a forged bottom end, large head studs, race bearings, front mount intercooler, Garrett-based AVO450 hybrid turbo (500hp turbo), aftermarket ECU and a bunch of other goodies.

So far, it has put down 235kw (315hp) at all four wheels. That's about 410hp at the flywheel, so it hauls! Only went to the strip one time and got a 12.76 @ 107.16. We have to work out why the ET was so low for my mods.

Cheers,
Sime

Uhm...............................:ttiwwp:

66droptop
June 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM

Cheers,
Sime

What was your 60' time? You should be able to launch the hell out of it with the AWD. Your clutch should hate you.

Sime
June 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
What was your 60' time? You should be able to launch the hell out of it with the AWD. Your clutch should hate you.

Getting consistent 1.8 second 60ft times which isn't bad. Yesterday I went to the strip again, but unfortunately couldn't take the bike. My friend didn't get the trailer he wanted so he only had access to a dirtbike trailer which couldn't fit two sportbikes. Oh well. I'll go out to Calder which is closer so I can ride there.

With the car yesterday, I tried all manner of different launches and tyre pressures, but the 1.8 60ft times were the best I could get. I found a different tuner who works with rally cars all over the world, so I am booked in to see him in early July. I suspect that my boost controller isn't setup properly and that, along with the tune in the car are why the terminal speed is very slow. I should be getting anywhere between 115-120mph, maybe more.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/simon-richards/IMGP3790-resize.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/simon-richards/STirear.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/simon-richards/Stifront.jpg

Outrider
June 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Just for information sake. I run 10.6 in the quarter. This is with my 900RR trackbike which is a little lighter. No burnouts, no tire pressure adj. Just run it in street settings.

Sime
June 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Just for information sake. I run 10.6 in the quarter. This is with my 900RR trackbike which is a little lighter. No burnouts, no tire pressure adj. Just run it in street settings.

10.6 Canadian.......that's about 11.5 when you convert it to the US system, right? :p :pound

LOL!!!

PS. That's a good time for normal trim.

Sime
June 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Here are some pics from the day:

http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552085.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552178.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552110.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552091.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552132.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552092.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552098.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552119.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552131.html
http://www.ajphotography.fotopic.net/p42552089.html

Outrider
June 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Nice pictures, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side. ;DOH

jawhn
June 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Nice pictures, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side. ;DOH

I thought Canadians had passenger-side steering wheels too? :CONF :z

:EG

speedextreme
June 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I thought Canadians had passenger-side steering wheels too? :CONF :z

:EG

You arent' serious are you Jawhn??? ;DOH

Think about it, any "land locked" continental area has the same driving sides of the road/steering wheels on the cars. If we can drive over to Canada, we don't have to "cross" over to the left side and start driving there do we? Same as Mexico, we don't "cross" over there either. So the steering wheels would be in the same place for both places or all three places. Canada, United States, and Mexico.

Then you go over the pond and places like Europe, Asia, England, Italy and places like that are all the same. But different from us. Kinda like the toilet flushing thing. Here it swirls one way and there it is backwards??!!! Heh heh heh.......:Laughs

jawhn
June 26th, 2007, 01:32 PM
You arent' serious are you Jawhn??? ;DOH

Think about it, any "land locked" continental area has the same driving sides of the road/steering wheels on the cars. If we can drive over to Canada, we don't have to "cross" over to the left side and start driving there do we? Same as Mexico, we don't "cross" over there either. So the steering wheels would be in the same place for both places or all three places. Canada, United States, and Mexico.

Then you go over the pond and places like Europe, Asia, England, Italy and places like that are all the same. But different from us. Kinda like the toilet flushing thing. Here it swirls one way and there it is backwards??!!! Heh heh heh.......:Laughs

No, I wasn't serious.

...that's why I put the little Evil Grin smiley. Guess it was too subtle. :rolleyes: