PDA

View Full Version : Voltage regulator mod.

Outrider
February 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hi, I thought I would share what I've done to my bike to solve the problem I've been having with blowing regulators. I fry one per year and at that rate it's getting expensive and making the bike unreliable. I bought a CBR600RR(any year) regulator off ebay for around 40 bucks.
Here is a picture, I just put it on so I don't know how reliable it's going to be but at twice the size as the old one, it has to be good. Because I have a Aprillia rear shock with out the remote res, I was able to mount it on the left side.

bluefire7321
February 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I had the same problem where my regulators kept frying, i went through 3 of them. i also tried to using a regulator from another bike and that was useless that one fryed in like a day.;DOH

Jawhn has this awesome product Tru-ground and since then i havent had a problem with my regulator,tru-ground.com go there for info:V

Check all your connections to the regulator if one of the cables are burnt that could be causing the problem too. And if not check your stator.

bikerdave
February 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Ya, blue's right.

I was having the same problem.

I eventually just replaced the battery, stator, and R/R at the same time.

I at that time added jawhn's truground.

The bike is working like a charm now.

As the more MC mechanic experienced said to me at the time,

use the honda manual check list it works really well as it was

designed to do.

Ya, might also use the search feature.

The thread is AAAAAHHHHHHHGGGG

or electrical.

tony_phil00
February 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
x3 all hail jawhn......

jawhn
February 10th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Lol. Thanks all. Yeah, Tru-Ground will definitely help. But first make sure all the wires going to the plug *before* the plug to the R/R aren't fried. If they are, fix them.

$20. Will for sure make it run cooler and longer, but if your stator is fried (can happen when Reg/Rec goes) then that'll need replacing as well. There's a diagnosis .zip file on here somewhere, run through that first.

Still only $20 for a Tru-Ground. I finally broke even with costs to produce, and am still to effin lazy to put one on eBay to see what it'll pull in... One of these days.

bluefire7321
February 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
this is what happened to me when i used a reg/rec from another bike trust me you dont want this to happen to you literately burnt my assss hairs:pound learned my lesson the hard way.

Outrider
February 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Bluefire, did you not use a regulator from another Honda? What did you use?

bluefire7321
February 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
i think it was a 600 from off like an f2 or f3...maybe i connected it wrong but the outcome didn't come out well and the one thats on your bike kinda looked like the one that exploded on me. Maybe the reg/rec was just bad i dunno?

VSB_Fast
February 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I think half or more than half the problem is Honda hard anodized the subframes on these bikes so there is no true ground to the subframe between the backside of the r/r and the subframe.

I used an electrical tester today and discovered this. No current can flow past that hard coat anidizing. And forget about sanding it off unless you have an air sander or something, then just sand it down till the metal is bright and shinny, and you can see no more clear anodize on it. Or just buy Jawhns Tru-Ground.

yeah I think Honda's r/r design for the F2, F3, VFR, and 900RR was too small a design or under-engineered, BUT the main problem is a bad ground to the subframe. No ground = major overheating to the r/r.