PDA

View Full Version : How To Ignition Advance

stu35
March 17th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I have a 95 RR and a 4 degree advance on the way. Can you please explain to me what I need to do to install it. It is under the right side cover - correct? I need an explanation. I have the Clymer - just not here at work and it is bugging me that I have a mod coming and no idea what I need to do to get it in. Thanks!:V

jawhn
March 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM
There's a how-to with pictures on here somewhere. Search a bit. If you can't find it, I'll look it up tonight.

It's supposedly VERY easy...like... 5 bolts, ten minutes. (Unless I am confused, which is always possible)

speedextreme
March 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yes really easy. Keeping bike on kickstand, remove right side cover, not just the little round one, but the whole side cover. Then remove the bolt holding the timing "sprocket" on, (can't remember if it is a reversed thread or not) put new timing advanced "sprocket" on, put side cover back on. If you do it nicely enough, then you don't have to worry about seal brakeage or leaking!

Laters.

cbr900racer77
March 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
it's not reverse thread. An electric impact makes it alot easier too (14mm socket)

stu35
March 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Do I need to drain the oil? I know - this is a question I need to ask though.:CONF

speedextreme
March 18th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Do I need to drain the oil? I know - this is a question I need to ask though.:CONF

Shouldn't have to, the angle of the bike on the kickstand will allow for removal of that side cover without having to drain anything.

At worst, you will have a little bit come out but not much.

Laters.

stu35
March 18th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks! I will get the tires up on boards as well to increase the angle.

Stu

speedextreme
March 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't do that. Unless you are talking about like some 1" or something like that.

Like I said, if your oil level is correct you might loose about 3 ounces of oil at the most. I can't remember if mine even leaked or not???

cbr900racer77
March 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM
^^what he said. If it leaks at all, it will be a very small amount. Whenever I played with the timing on mine at the track it would leak a spot maybe the size of a quarter. I'm going back to V&H powerpak this year so I won't have to worry about it.

Just a sidenote...I have had side cover leak ocasionally at that rubber piece. A lil HondaBond will fix it right up. It didn't do it all the time, just every now and then. It's a good idea for any bike owner to keep some of that stuff in their toolbox, it's good sh!t.

lickshot
July 16th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Heresnother silly question.... Could i do this to my 98 blade????
What are the main benefits from this mod and what is the cost??

Cheers all...

jawhn
July 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Heresnother silly question.... Could i do this to my 98 blade????
What are the main benefits from this mod and what is the cost??

Cheers all...

You absolutely can.

Someday I might.

Not exactly sure what benefit is... I know it either adds a little more power, or improves throttle response. But a decent inexpensive mod...

(I know all vehicle manufacturers 'retard' their timing a bit so the engine lasts longer / safer... It eliminates that safety feature and adds something good.)

RUBBERDOWN
July 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
(I know all vehicle manufacturers 'retard' their timing a bit so the engine lasts longer / safer... It eliminates that safety feature and adds something good.)

Yea safety sucks :iagree::headbang

Mikeo
July 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'm going back to V&H powerpak this year so I won't have to worry about it.

I run a Power Pak and an advancer although the destuctions say not to, but we found a rev limit issue with just the Pak. Have you had any issues with just the Powerpak? We tried a bunch of configs, also with the stock cdi.

lickshot
July 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I dont run the advancer or the power pak.... have read a little on the power pak and they seem (they being google search results) to think they are a bit old and past it, then it goes on to say about the DYNA2000 which is an advancer module.... Only had a quick search and havent found it in the uk yet.... only on the other side of the pond... would it be different to a uk spec do u think??? as the manual seems to talk about us models and uk models....

mmmmmmmmmm got me thinking now....

N2OCapri
July 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM
there ya go

http://www.tts-performance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_46_404&products_id=2716&PHPSESSID=d41da75d87554fdfc4e33e7160cb36aa

but why you'd want to spend that much on one is beyond me.

lickshot
July 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Cheers for the link fella.... but that only lists it for up to 97..... I have a 98 blade.

Do u not think it is worth doing then??? Or how about a factory pro ignition advancer??? alot cheaper hey....

VSB_Fast
July 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure how warm your weather gets over there in the UK? I know in hot Arizona an ignition advancer is bad news. But if your weather never breaks 100F I would think it's ok to install it.

900rrRacer would know more about that than me for sure. :V

I wish I could get a set of racing cams for my 900. 900rrRacer... is it possible to swap the intake cam for the exhaust to improve performance and then just have to buy one new high performance cam? Reason I ask is because i have heard of bike owners swapping intake for exhaust or visa-versa.

66droptop
July 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM
is it possible to swap the intake cam for the exhaust to improve performance and then just have to buy one new high performance cam?
Yes. I had a MegaCycle intake cam for the intake and the stock intake cam for the exhaust. Setting the camshaft timing was a lot of fun the first time. That was sarcasm there. You'll need adjustable (slotted) cam gears and a cam timing kit. My gears were from APE and my timing kit was Comp Cams. You can buy the kit at a performance parts shop like Lopers or online somewhere like summitracing.com. It's basically just a timing wheel and a gauge that reads TDC and BDC of piston travel. You'll have to get creative to figure out how to mount the timing wheel, but it can be done... after a lot of trips to Ace Hardware for bolts and things.

Definitely an effective modification though. I don't think spark timing advance will give you much, but valve timing is major.

VSB_Fast
July 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
How much did the new intake cam, and APE gears cost you if you recall?