PDA

View Full Version : my fireblade almost burned down?!



flogod231
August 6th, 2008, 02:18 AM
hi guys, need your help plss

yesterday i got home from work,
put the rr in the garage...
suddenly i smell something burning!!
it came from under the seat of my rr!
quickly took of the seat, felt the wires and they were extremely hot!,
smoke started to come off it, a bit
so i quickly disconnected the battery, phew! just in time

ok, so the bike needs to be repaired, obvious!
my garage will pick it up tomorrow, theyre busy now

does this sound familiar to some of you?
has this happended before?(must have, right?)
do you now what the prob is\could be?
wanted to know, because i wanted to estemate the repair costs
am in the middle of moving, so i dont need extra expences right now
also need the bike everyday,cos i dont have car, or car license
(have my car exam next week btw!)

damn, think if i didnt caught it on time, the bike would have burned down,
or part of it

hope you guys have some info on what the probs are\is
for re-assuring, orso

thx
ps. rrzone rulezz!(fag!)

kiai
August 6th, 2008, 04:18 AM
glade ur ok, seems like ur wires to the starter motor got fried it should be simple wire jobs but you need to go through the whole electrical system just to make sure it doesn't happen again I'm not sure what can cause it hopefully someone can answer this but I've seen it happen once before

did this bike previously die on you?
did it have any kind of charging problems ?

ZRX1
August 6th, 2008, 05:55 AM
flogod231,

Well it very well could be the starter wires that started to melt down, as I have posted a number of times about corrsion and where connecotrs come together is the starting point. Also the battery itself are somewhat to blame as well, they are installed where very little air can help to cool them down, and the hotter they get the internal plates will warp when they touch each other they will short out. Sometines it will just take out one cell with-in the battery other times and this depends on how many plates warp it will short out looking for the path of least resistance for ground, sometimes it finds it with-in the battery and that is all that goes up, other times it can take out the wiring harness.

We even cause some damage if we jump start our bike and use a car battery to do that. The amprage push from a car battery is many times more than a motorcycle battery. It caused the internal lead plated to warp, You can get away with no problems a time or two but each time one does it, the plates are getting damaged.

Your shop will be able to verify that the wiring harness is OK or if there is an internal short to other wires, and the harness needs to be replaced or if they can repair it. I would also replace the battery reguardless, I know I could sleep better knowing that there is a new battery with no problem sitting in my scoot.

Hope this will help, let us know what they find.

:cheers

stynk monkey
August 6th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I say the stator went and took the reg/rec with it but it kept throwing volts through the wiring harness and started to burn it up. Hope your CDI didn't burn up as well.

jawhn
August 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Yoiks. It's almost a guessing game at this point, so my vote / initial reaction is check wires where they meet plugs and look for a burned/blackened plug to get a better clue! :CONF

Sorry to hear... That really sucks.

stynk monkey
August 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I'm holding fast to my theory especially since he said it came from under the seat. That's almost what happened to mine but I caught it before it got to that point.

Flogod what does the stator to reg/rec plastic connector look like? (3 yellow wires)

bikerdave
August 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm with you Stynk.

Not that I have any ability at all!;DOH

But from the work I've done on the stators,R/R, and battery

and what I appear to be facing around the starter relay switch

Throwing all them electrons around once things get fubar'd

even with great grounds it gets questionable at best!

MikeRua
August 7th, 2008, 01:53 AM
;DOH thats bad....thank goodness u caught it, good luck with sorting it out.

flogod231
August 7th, 2008, 03:53 AM
oyeah! forgat to mention i did have charging probs for a while already
first i thaught i had puttin in too strong headlight bulbs,
but after replacing them for less stronger ones, it continued
was affraid my alternator(?charger in the engine?) was going
but now i think\know it is something else
just hope it didnt fry all the electrical stuff, cdi unit andso..

we will see

stynk monkey
August 7th, 2008, 06:25 AM
oyeah! forgat to mention i did have charging probs for a while already
first i thaught i had puttin in too strong headlight bulbs,
but after replacing them for less stronger ones, it continued
was affraid my alternator(?charger in the engine?) was going
but now i thinkknow it is something else
just hope it didnt fry all the electrical stuff, cdi unit andso..

we will see

That alternator is the stator I mentioned. The stator is the part with the copper wire coils. Also check the starter relay, there is a wire that goes from the regulator/rectifier to it and it sometimes burns up and helps the whole mess get going. Nothing that can't be fixed with a couple hundred bucks (new stator and reg/rec), some extra wire and a soldering iron.

Check this out
http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/honda/dead_reg.html

VSB_Fast
August 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
My bet is on a fried voltage regulator/rectifier. But your mechanic will need to find out what electrical problem caused the voltage r/r to go bad. This can be many different things.. a bad stator, a short in the electrical system somewhere, corroded connectors, bad ground or corroded ground wires, old battery cables. It probably didn't fry the CDI box.

stynk monkey
August 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
My bet is on a fried voltage regulator/rectifier. But your mechanic will need to find out what electrical problem caused the voltage r/r to go bad. This can be many different things.. a bad stator, a short in the electrical system somewhere, corroded connectors, bad ground or corroded ground wires, old battery cables. It probably didn't fry the CDI box.


Or the fact that it's a Honda Reg/Rec and they are pieces of crap.

Honda is great on all aspects but that. But if they made their bikes totally bulletproof their factory techs would have no work.

Blademan
August 12th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Zoiks Scoob, looks like we have a real mystery on our hands.

My vote would be the stator mine went and they showed me how the pulg got really warm and almost started to melt

flogod231
August 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM
ok, so it was the rectifier, it was dead
bought a new one(115euro incl shipping+30 for picking up my bike)
so they put it on and they replaced the connector, for free, it was fried also
so when i got home i connected my charger, just in case...

next morning i tried to start it... and my battery was dead!! aargh!!
tried to recharge it, didnt work
think the battery took a hit from all this mess,
and will replace it tomorrow
then my worries should be over for a while, i hope

will let you guys know

1992fireblade
August 19th, 2008, 07:57 AM
The regulator/rectifier cooked on my Blade & the same thing happened to me.
Changed regulator/rectifier & burnt plug. Next day, battery dead & wouldnt re-charge.
Changed battery, been ok ever since.:)

bikerdave
August 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Flog, you may want to check the output of your stator.

If you use search on the zone you'll find a lot written on this subject!

I've been through this on both of my 900's and am waiting to get to

my '98 cause the connector to the starter relay switch is cooked!