PDA

View Full Version : customizing airbox

bandit2090
October 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I was wondering if theres a way to get more airflow into the intake besides just the k&n filter. Has anyone ported thier airbox or is there an aftermarket system that would get more air in besides those little inlets. This thing needs to breathe better.:pbjb

the wonky900
October 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Theres a ram air kit on airtechs site, but I have know idea on quality.

bandit2090
October 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
That thing looks like something i could make it with a little sheet metal and the stock air box and alot less than 400 dollars

jawhn
October 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
This has been discussed to death on here. Search a little bit.

Short synopsis: There's nothing you can do easily or inexpensively to get more air into your carbs... :z Short of a vacuum cleaner motor blowing air in, it flows as well as it's gonna without major modding, like turbo, or supercharger, or whatev...

bandit2090
October 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
ok ill see what i can come up with but i did try to find it on here but i couldnt find any threads on it im sorry ill never ask again ;)

jawhn
October 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Didn't mean it like that, sorry. ;DOH

It does pop up often, though. Gothy had a thread about putting a fan in the box... Lemme find it to help ya out. :D

http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5071

bandit2090
October 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I know you didnt mean not to ask :Laughs
and thanks for that fan link but the only way that could work is if it were a varible fan that was linked to the rmps other wise the intake would over power the fans and just cause electrical problems but im going to try and make something out of the stock box mabye extend theintake and add another port in the middle but well see what happens:skep:
ill post it when im done

Justin989RR
October 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM
The best way to do it is buy a cheap airbox on ebay and start removing plastic the might restrick the airflow. I really dont know how good it will work with a sportbike airbox, but on cruisers bikes they leave a bunch of plastic in there that blocks the flow of air, and once you cut it out of the way the run a crap loads better. :zz2cents:

bandit2090
October 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I did that on my truck insted of buying a could air and it runs better so i think i may just do a little cuting and add another intake pipe or just say fuck it and add snorkles to the velocity stacks im not sure which will work better but im going to try both and see what happens:skep:

66droptop
October 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Cliffnotes: I made one once. Bike ran like ass.

Full story: I made brackets to lower the radiator and a sheetmetal setup to deliver air from in front of the radiator to the air box snorkels. Sealed it up with caulk. Ran like crap. Crap is defined as violently bucking like an angry bull. It got progressively worse the faster I went. I don't remember the speed now, but there was a certain mph the bike wouldn't exceed, like 60. I was heading to the drag strip that night with a friend from out of town with a stretched Gix1k, so we hurried to rip it all out and get the bike able to run again. The project I had spent days on was gone in about 15 minutes. I never put the radiator back until the turbo project because I needed more clearance down below.

Definite suggestion: Remove that black plastic piece that sits right in front of the snorkels. While you're at it, remove all the extra panels and crap that isn't needed. It's at least easier maintenance, less weight, blah blah blah.

bandit2090
October 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM
what did you make a snorkel off the stacks or cut the air box?:confused: i already removed all the uneeded crap that i could find but if you did my snorkle idea that saves me alot of time cutting and welding pipes and finding modular filters that would work

Mikeo
October 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
If you dont want to hack yours up, I have one that has been "cleaned out" on the inside and has a K&N to go with it. Didnt use it long, maybe one track day like that and it did run good but went with flatsldes instead. If you want it amke an offer and include shipping.;)

bandit2090
October 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
how much do you want for it???

Mikeo
October 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I can do $40.00 shipped:)

66droptop
October 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
The airbox was stock with a foam filter. Just made a ram air "box" that was sealed to the snorkels.

bandit2090
October 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM
ok no ram air to the snorkel ill try my other idaeas:CONF

66droptop
October 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not saying DON'T do it. Just saying that my setup didn't work. My bike leaned way out or things were too turbulent. I didn't have time to try working through the issues. Since I never took it to completion, I'm not permanently crossing it off the list. Just warning that my way wasn't a walk in the park. But it did apparently move a lot of air.

bandit2090
October 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
If i do a snorkle style system it will have 4 separate pipes one for each velocity stack but for now im going to modify the air box to accept more air by porting out the front and removing the air baffle form the frame ill see how that works and then ill start work on the snorkle system. It will take a while to build though

bikeserv
February 9th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I was wondering if theres a way to get more airflow into the intake besides just the k&n filter. Has anyone ported thier airbox or is there an aftermarket system that would get more air in besides those little inlets. This thing needs to breathe better.:pbjb
more airflow:drill holes at the front of the airbox,where the snorkels are.keep in mind though that the blade is sensitive with carburation,so changing anything you ll need to rejet it.
another way,is to place an aluminium sheet metal enclosing the carbs from the bottom side,along the frame spars(you can use rubber strips to isolate it)Thas your lower custom airbox.you can use the underside of your tank as the airbox cover.make brackets to lower the radiator a couple cm,and stick a snorkel in there,to take fresh air in the box.Use 2 vtr air filters on a selfmade flange on the frond,and get 2 pitot tubes to equalize the air pressure in the float bowls.you ll need a lot of time on rejetting though

griff
January 22nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
hi anybody try the factory pro airbox mod for the fireblade
http://www.factorypro.com/

bikerdave
January 22nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
From what I gather, Honda does a really good job of designing
the intake system as just that. An intake system.
It is just as Droptop said.
If you free up the flow of incoming air you screw up the way that
the carbs work giving them much more air. The fuel flow is set up
for the original flow. Then you will get into trying to rejet(jet size),
needle hieght, and the rest of the carb(unless you are fuel injected and
then you get into reprograming measurments that lead to fuel sign
for injector pulse length and a whole shit load of other stuff in the
electronic world of ECU) flow "issues".
To me, Honda Corp. has a whole lot more money that I do and they
have all of those bright mechanical engineers who have been playing
with this crap for their livelihood for quite a while.
I know that I just ain't that bright nor that knowledgable.
In my opinion, most modern motorcycles are well set up to do a
really good job of exsisting in the general world.
And to top it all off, we have not even brought up the other end of the
system and how to make this extra air and fuel flow well out the
exhaust system.
Just my $.02
Some one is going to have to remind me of this when I start to work on
my '83 CB1100F and getting the bugs worked out so that Pods will
work with the stock carbs on it!!!!!!!!!;DOH:Laughs:o

speedextreme
January 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I am with Dave on this one. I had purchased and tried to install the Airtech Ram Air Kit. Found out the kit didn't like to work on the 98-99 900's that well. Didn't feel like hackin it up just to make it fit. Other than it not fitting right, the kit did not come with new Jets or recommendations on rejetting or moving the clips on the needles.

And as said above, more air, means more fuel!!! If not, it leans out.

And to let you know this little bit of info, there is no such thing as "Ram Air" for ground based vehicles. EVERYONE of those "Ram Air" products, or even stock type systems are not ram air. They are cold air induction, that is all. Look at an actual Ram Jet engine on an old jet plane. It only works cuz the air is forced in by the fans, then at speed, the engine is fed by forced air.

There was a show I watched on tv about top speed runs on a highly modified Kawasaki. And they had a ram air tube on it and even after testing and tuning the size and length of this tube straight into the airbox. They found out that it produced 3hp at speeds OVER 200mph!!! That's it.

Look at a so called ram air hood for a Chevy silverado. The scoops go in and go to the back of the hood, route the air to the right side and back to the front of the hood, over the stock airbox, which the airbox is not sealed. Then it just goes thru the factory "tubing" into the throttle body. So how does air that "bends" technically 180 degrees once then 90 degrees three times become "forced/ram air"???

Some food for thought.

Blademan
January 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I agree as well that I would leve it alone and work more on the engine. That airbox has that shape and size for a reason an located as such. I too have heard that about the ram air as it really only works at higher speeds. so if your design is for the track they work well. But leave the airbox alone play with the other tunable pieces.

cbr900racer77
January 27th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Agreed. Waste of time to try and "improve" it. RR's are EXTREMELY finnicky when it comes to air/fuel. Want more airflow?? Throw a set of 41mm FCR's on there and call it a day. You'll be sucking small rodents/birds into your engine in no time:Laughs