PDA

View Full Version : 2009 R1 VIDEO

gothy
January 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
here you go.
Its worth a watch.

YouTube - MCN Roadtest: 2009 Yamaha R1 onboard lap (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H9go8Cxptjw)

Look at how fast it spins up, and the sound of the motor.

gothy
January 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
another

about 47 seconds in, he revvs it, and it spins up so fast.

YouTube - MCN Roadtest: 2009 Yamaha R1 tested (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh00Cy3efvw)

66droptop
January 22nd, 2009, 01:08 AM
Nobody here likes the R1 but me. I appreciate the videos though! The '09 R1 seems very impressive.

I'm pretty certain my next vehicle will have four wheels though. Mostly because I want to start completely from scratch and play with suspensions and roll center axis slope. The next bike will be far off unless I get impatient.

gothy
January 22nd, 2009, 03:07 AM
ow, and there's me thinking it might spark some more life into the forum.
oh well;DOH

jawhn
January 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Nobody here likes the R1 but me. ...

Not true. I've always liked them. Especially when the all silver one came out. It's a badass bike. Not super-fond of the new one, but apparently all the newer bikes are supposed to look shitty... :z

Kudos to gothy for pumping some life in here as well... Hasn't been much drama lately... And I guess everyone has their bike up and running fine? :EG But yeah, been very dead as of late. :(

on1wheel01
January 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
The reason is only homosexuals ride yami's blah hahahaha j/k well maybe not
Nobody here likes the R1 but me. I appreciate the videos though! The '09 R1 seems very impressive.

I'm pretty certain my next vehicle will have four wheels though. Mostly because I want to start completely from scratch and play with suspensions and roll center axis slope. The next bike will be far off unless I get impatient.

gothy
January 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
The reason is only homosexuals ride yami's blah hahahaha j/k well maybe not

haha lol ;)

An R1 I used to service for a customer had a little numberplate, and at the bottom it said "midwife on call"
He was a big guy too! :Laughs

66droptop
January 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
haha lol ;)

An R1 I used to service for a customer had a little numberplate, and at the bottom it said "midwife on call"
He was a big guy too! :Laughs
Maybe he's into the pregnant thing. It's a turn off for me, but there's at least the comfort in knowing that I can't get her more pregnanter. And you know they put out.

freaka$$fireman
January 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Gothy, Thanks for the video..Not much of a yammi fan, but I've been impressed with my buddies R1..The 09 does spin up perty dayum fast, crank the throttle & the "Lawd Have Mercy" factor goes from zero to shyt your pants in a blink of an eye......At 1st I was thinkin WTF, this cat is going 270mph..then remembered it's kmh;DOH

budlightcbr
January 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
I like the R1 and give it mad respect but the new one looks like a fish with its eyes bulging out

Justin989RR
January 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I would ride that.

RR-Rated
January 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I almost but an R1 a while back. they are just plain sexy. just couln't do it tho.

Blademan
February 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'd have to say the only good lookin' bike that has come out in a while is the Duc 1098 and now the 1198. They got it right. Just can't drop the 18K on one though

Justin989RR
February 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I rode the new R1 this weekend. All I got to say it is retarded fast, and it raps up rpms faster than you can blink. And it handle great

gothy
February 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
cool thanks for the review.

Is it rideable on the street with it revving so fast?

This is the bikes headlight.

66droptop
February 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Just listen to the sound...

Akrapovic exhaust.
YouTube - Tom Sykes on the 2009 R1 at Portimao (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh_485SEJq4)

Justin989RR
February 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah its a very streetable weapon! I just didnt care for the exhaust under the seat it looks to bulky for a bike of this nature. Another thing was I had to get the RPMs up to go in first more than I'm use to, but this could be because its a bike that havent really rode too!

66droptop
February 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I think there's a lot of hype and mystery surrounding the R1 and it's crossplane crank. If you look at V8s, most are crossplane setups. Ferraris and many racing engines are flatplane. Look at the two firing orders of V8s, and just cut them in half to form an inline 4.

The reason most V8s are crossplane is because they have less vibration issues with harmonics. The downside is that they have an uneven firing order, with two cylinders on each bank firing next to each other. So you have exhaust from these two cylinders fighting each other, trying to occupy the same space without enough time for the first cylinder's exhaust to move out of the way of the second cylinder's exhaust. Same issue with the intake, only reversed. Put individual throttle bodies on the intake and 180 degree exhaust (like the GT40's "bundle of snakes" or just hot rod style zoomies), and you no longer have the inefficiency issues of a crossplane V8.

Ferraris and most ground-up built racing engines use a flat plane design. This is what gives them their buzzier sound compared to the domestic V8 sound with it's more uneven pulse sound (the muscle car sound). You have better exhaust and intake characteristics, and drivers prefer the smoother torque delivery. There won't be a large difference in power development between the two engines if both are well designed, but they sound drastically different and there's the driver's supposed preference (I've driven but never really pounded on a flat plane V8, so I can't personally say).
Firing order: 1-8-3-6-4-5-2-7

I think it's odd that automobile racing prefers a flat plane, and Yamaha is touting their cross plane crank as being the better style. I honestly don't think it'll make a damn bit of difference on a street bike. But it'll definitely sound different than the other I4 sportbikes. And that's why I want it.

P.S. If I had the equipment to make my own crankshaft and camshaft, I'd build myself a flat plane V8 in a heartbeat. Because they sound cool.

ghbzorro
February 12th, 2009, 01:41 AM
But it'll definitely sound different than the other I4 sportbikes.

Exactly.

Just like the re-cranked inline twins trying to sound like v-twins. It's marketing, not engineering.

But now that I've heard it, I do have to admit that it is damn good marketing.

ace
February 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM
cant believe this forum ,man u guys are so open ,i tried to show some pics of a blade i was interested in on ebay on a yamaha forum i was on and the shit i got off the guys cos it wasnt a yammie was bad lol ,its awsome u guys just like all bikes or at least u give them a chance nice one guys ,so who is going to buy a yammie then lol{only kidding guys no swearing back at me lol

jawhn
February 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Well, see, how it works is: When you have the best bike out there, the other bikes still interest you a teeny bit... :EG :rolleyes:

When you have a mediocre bike, you have to defend it by slamming other bikes all the time to make yourself feel better. ;)

ace
February 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
i admire all bikes my friend lol ,we all got 2 wheels ,i just couldnt afford a blade wen i needed one haha ,mine is ok for now it is just good to get some expierence on,so u gonna get a r1 jawhn lol

jawhn
February 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
... so u gonna get a r1 jawhn lol

I'd like to, someday. I've always been fond of the all-silver one, the first year it came out. :z

After that lottery win, I guess. :EG Until then, just gonna enjoy my Blade!

ace
February 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
dont blame you buddy, il get my blade someday mate wether it be an old one or new one ,im going to stick with my 600 for now.ive seen to many friends buy 900 or 1000 straight after test and they end up binning them on corners they just cant handle the power from having nothing to going to 900 u no

gothy
February 14th, 2009, 03:57 AM
aha you see,
the members of the 600rr.net forum seem to slag off anyone who's under 30 getting a 600rr for their first bike. (its too powerful aparantly lol)
And heaven forbid getting a 1000rr lol :Laughs

I try every time to explain that as long as your careful with a biggun its fine, but nooooo. :CONF

Blademan
February 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Well, see, how it works is: When you have the best bike out there, the other bikes still interest you a teeny bit... :EG :rolleyes:

When you have a mediocre bike, you have to defend it by slamming other bikes all the time to make yourself feel better. ;)

+1 on that my friend

Tulok
May 29th, 2009, 03:28 PM
aha you see,
the members of the 600rr.net forum seem to slag off anyone who's under 30 getting a 600rr for their first bike. (its too powerful aparantly lol)
And heaven forbid getting a 1000rr lol :Laughs

I try every time to explain that as long as your careful with a biggun and not covered in feces its fine, but nooooo. :CONF

look at the nuts a SBN!!
I convinced them that i was a total newb idiot, and theguys will not believe anything i say now even though i have tried to prove that it was a joke!

The reason they say that this new crossplane I4 is so good is because of the torque characteristics it possesses.
It is just like the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate IMO, would you be able to be smoother and faster on a peaky powerbanded beast, with more peak horsepower,
or on a bike where the throttle seems to be instantly connected to the rear wheel, not like a powerband you have to wait for, however there isn't quite the same peak horsepower.
?

I love the feeling of a 250 2 stroke, and also the hit of a 600cc, but there is no doubting that it is easier to ride smooth and fast on a 4 stroke, but the 250f will never win in top end.

cbr600rr
December 9th, 2020, 06:08 AM
intersted in trying one,,:o