PDA

View Full Version : Do World superbikes run a dry clutch?

cbr900racer77
October 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I admit I don't know shit about roadracing. I've been watching it this year and enjoy watching them duke it out. I was watching a recorded event from Malaysia and they showed Rossi's Yamaha in slow motion going around a curve in the rain. Low and behold, there was the clutch basket in full view. It was hard to tell but looked like it was a dry setup. Just curious if that was the case.

gixerkiller
October 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM
moto gp (rossi) will flip flop on clutch types and set ups through out the season.

no team will run a dry clutch all season (even ducati) as they build/engineer/modify during the season they constantly expiriment with set ups and parts.

one week end ducati might run a dry and kawasaki will use a wet then they get a revised crank or something and need to start over. there is even a semi-dry clutch set up.

in the rain i think the dry is favored.

wsb/bsb/ama/wss have to use the stock version of the engine so conversions are no go.

only gp do you get to see some cool stuff.

cbr900racer77
October 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Oh okay...cool. So it's motogp where Rossi races? I ain't got the hang of what everything is called yet, but I'm working on it;)

jawhn
October 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Oh okay...cool. So it's motogp where Rossi races? I ain't got the hang of what everything is called yet, but I'm working on it;)

Nod. And he's back on top, again.

jar1zx
February 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
i just seen a dry clutch today, it was weird lol. a friend got a 749'' ( i think ) and it has a dry clutch, noisy damn thing

bad dog
February 22nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
i just seen a dry clutch today, it was weird lol. a friend got a 749'' ( i think ) and it has a dry clutch, noisy damn thing

I love the sound, :p

wingnut1
February 22nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
all ducati superbikes run a dry clutch

jar1zx
February 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
friend who just got that ducati. wrecked it the day after i seen it, lost it on a curve. bike's totaled. so he only had it a day. i think it was a 06, well no more dry clutch sound around here

he was ok. just a lil road rash got through glove

houdini
February 28th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Do ye have road racing in the states ?
http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/2459/michael-dunlop-irish-road-racing.html
this what we have in ireland
it is awesome

asphaltsurfer
February 28th, 2010, 07:03 AM
not the legal type;DOH.. but yes some of us do:CONF

cbr900racer77
February 28th, 2010, 07:50 AM
not the legal type;DOH.. but yes some of us do:CONF:Laughs

cbr900racer77
February 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
friend who just got that ducati. wrecked it the day after i seen it, lost it on a curve. bike's totaled. so he only had it a day. i think it was a 06, well no more dry clutch sound around here

he was ok. just a lil road rash got through glove

He needs to donate the engine to me. I've always wanted a junk Duc to tear into. Always wanted to have first hand look at their (spelling) desmodronic valve system. Anyone wanna donate to the poor?

jar1zx
February 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
it is awesome

we dont have that here. i watched 5 mins of that vid till comp got slow
gd, must be nice to have balls that big

bad dog
February 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM
it is awesome

I have balls but they aren't that big, ;)

They used to run a small road course at Hoquiam, run by the Washington motorcycle racing club or WMRRA, but nothing like that. I had a chance to ride it the last year they ran it.

jar1zx
March 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
ok i watched rest of vid. damn they even go faster 2nd lap wow!!!!
i have never seen anything like this. that's not nice smooth pavement like at a race track. that's real roads with flaws. and there running it as hard as they would at the track. if they lose it they don't have the nice soft foam 2 stop them. i am seeing rock walls, trees, poles, crowd lol.

impressed

cbr racer...... he had insurance so i guess they get the bike