PDA

View Full Version : My triumphant return to two wheels

66droptop
December 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Yes, there is an explanation for why today seemed like a wonderful, cheerier place when you woke up and walked over to the window. The sun was brighter, the birds were louder, the grass was greener.

It's because today I sacked up and locked in my choice of next vehicle- and it's a motorcycle. We didn't talk price, I just put my $1000 deposit down and told them what I wanted. The guy I dealt with last time I was at the dealership was pretty friendly, but he was out sick today. So that'd mean I would need a new guy. So I stalked my prey and chose carefully the skinniest, most pale salesman there in preparation for the upcoming epic battle of MSRP vs WhatRobReallyPays. Never bought anything new before, so hopefully I don't have assjar (Parental Advisory: http://www.efukt.com/2339_1_Guy_1_Cup.html) type results.

It's a 2010 BMW S1000RR I'll be getting. Because really, how could I say no to the most powerful production bike ever, packed into a liter bike frame with telepathic reflexes?? Acid green metallic (unless I change my mind when I see it in a few weeks), HP shift assist, seat cowl. A week or two before others (all optioned out) arrive, and most are already claimed. A month & a half for mine if I decide to stick with my decision and I have to wait for one w/o the gimmicks.

jawhn
December 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Was your NSFW link really necessary in that post? ;DOH

BTW, everyone... Link in Rob's post above is ultra-NSFW. As in, as ultra as ultra gets.

So what did you drop on it? Obviously $1,000, but what was final / after-battle price?

asphaltsurfer
December 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
that is truely f--k'd up...my god man.. that just aint rite:Laughs good luck 2 u w/the new toy..1 bad ass toy:V no pun intended:skep::Laughs

cbr900racer77
December 29th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hey, that was a cool link:V I especially liked the girl putting an octupuss in her puss:Laughs

basspiece919
December 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Very Jealous!!! The S1000 will be my next bike. I figure I graduate in 3 semesters, I can pick up a used and "tastefully modded" s1000rr for less than $10,000.

Check out this Dyno graph... Its making 180 at the rear wheel... I have always heard 10-15% is lost from crank to rear wheel which means the bike might be making +200hp at the crank... Wonder if BMW understated HP to keep our crack head liberal moron government off their case and out of their engine cases.

Source: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/16december09_bmw_s1000r_dyno.htm

66droptop
December 29th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Was your NSFW link really necessary in that post? ;DOH
So what did you drop on it? Obviously $1,000, but what was final / after-battle price?

I made a reference I wanted everyone to understand. And I said parental advisory. It's all good. :Laughs

It seems like the world is paying MSRP, so that's what I'll probably pay. I'll be in the first dozen in the state, so it's kind of hard to hold a lot of leverage. Realistically, if I can ride out the door for the base MSRP price but with the shifter, seat cowl, and tax/title/registration, I'll feel like a champ. If they start making me pay for stuff, I'm going to start pushing for a new helmet like one of their Arais.

Its making 180 at the rear wheel...
183 or 184 at the wheel is what everyone has been getting on the dyno. I thought the full Akra system was supposed to be like 7hp or something. And BMW claims a 6hp addition due to the ram air when at speed. Whatever it makes, it's a shitload of power. 150mph power wheelies and a 189mph top speed. It's powerful enough that I'm not too concerned with chasing each pony. I'll probably get the Devil system over the Akra simply because it looks better.

Keith Code is using strictly S1000RRs with his school. He said BMW took the power down twice to what it is now, the perhaps conservatively rated 190hp. One of the magazines said BMW didn't want to draw the attention of being the first bike claiming power in the 200s.

Whatever. The thing makes Busa power plus some, but in a tighter and shorter package, and revs like a 6. I'll be content for a while. 0-100mph in 5.3, quarter in 10.2 @ 149. We'll see if I can touch that 10.2.

gothy
December 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM
awesome choice of new bike :V im very jelous ;)

Have you opted for the ABS and traction control package?
Or just the standard raw power model?

oh just read your post again, full options :)

When you get them...
:ttiwwp:

ghbzorro
December 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM
About time you committed to two wheels again.

Suggest you make one of the "modifications" the addition of a FiredBlade graphic.

Please remember, too, that it is OK to be a dick. But please keep being Rob The Dick and not Rob The B&W Dick :D

And, yes, I am envious.

66droptop
December 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I won't be a dick. I'm Mr. Friendly! Come on, guys. Hahaha.

Have you opted for the ABS and traction control package?
Or just the standard raw power model?

Not a big options kind of guy, especially something like traction control and ABS. They strike me as inherently evil devices, in place to nanny my hoonage. If I have to drive like my mom's riding next to me, I'm sure she'd be more than happy to spend time with me and go for a car ride- and it'd be cheaper too. Same mindset goes for bikes.

Hated traction control ever since I was 16 or 17 and nearly stuffed a C5 Corvette into a curb because I wanted to drive sideways but the t/c disagreed with the yaw. Ever since then, deactivating all driver-interrupting safety features is step #1 ahead of seat belts/harnesses for any drive in anything performance oriented.

I don't mind ABS (in cars) because it's almost unnoticeable. It takes away the fun of wiggling your toes when you lock up under braking, but it's idiot proof and keeps you from flatspotting the tires. Though I don't mind its presence, I certainly won't pay extra for it.

I just want the "HP Shift Assist" doodad that cuts ignition when you apply pressure to the shift lever and lets you crack off instantaneous WOT clutchless upshifts. Should be handy at the drag strip. And if you watch the videos of it in action on the bike, it sounds like an F1 car snapping into the next gear. :D

ghbzorro
December 31st, 2009, 02:44 AM
... not Rob The B&W Dick :D

I won't be a dick. I'm Mr. Friendly! Come on, guys.

Yeah, friendly like a pit viper. Hahaha ouch.

Just noticed I wrote B&W instead of BMW. Feudian slip on my part. Worked for a company called B&W for 20 years. Fingers do their own typing sometimes.

gothy
December 31st, 2009, 10:59 AM
I hear you with the traction control, you can control the power with your right wrist anywho. It can be turned off though, but then its pointless spending the extra $$$$.

As for ABS im a fan, Got in it in the cages, and I miss it on my bike when its pissin it down, (which is does ALL THE TIME here).

The quickshifter will be cool, cant wait to see those videos :D

Good choice :EG

66droptop
January 30th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Rode the demo today. Mine will be in next week. I've sacked up and gone for the expensive fully loaded one because I'm already tired of waiting.

Anyway...

Fast as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck (with a high pitched inflection halfway through).

:EG

StraightJacketRacing
January 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM
That's awesome, man! I'm envious! I was in St. Louis last week hitting BMW shops, hoping to see one in the flesh, but nobady had one yet.:mad:

jawhn
January 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Lemme know as soon as you want to go for a ride, Rob! ;)

You are not allowed to crash this thing. But dragstrip run, at some point, maybe?

66droptop
January 31st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Lemme know as soon as you want to go for a ride, Rob! ;)

You are not allowed to crash this thing. But dragstrip run, at some point, maybe?
Definitely a drag night. That's the whole reason why I wanted the HP shift doohickey that cuts the ignition to snap into the next gear without the clutch and without lifting.

I didn't crash the last bike. Broke it, but didn't crash it. It's the four-wheeled things that I sometimes bump hard objects with. And now that the fiancee has a 6 speed Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0T...

I'll be picking my bike up Friday after I complete the paperwork. They'll have it broken in on the dyno for me already. Maybe I can get them to help me get the suspension set to a decent baseline too. Molly wants to get back home in time to go out that night, but we might have enough time to ride a little if you're available Friday like 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

jawhn
February 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM
Definitely a drag night. That's the whole reason why I wanted the HP shift doohickey that cuts the ignition to snap into the next gear without the clutch and without lifting.

I didn't crash the last bike. Broke it, but didn't crash it. It's the four-wheeled things that I sometimes bump hard objects with. And now that the fiancee has a 6 speed Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0T...

I'll be picking my bike up Friday after I complete the paperwork. They'll have it broken in on the dyno for me already. Maybe I can get them to help me get the suspension set to a decent baseline too. Molly wants to get back home in time to go out that night, but we might have enough time to ride a little if you're available Friday like 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

I'm a working stiff, so 1 or 2 in the afternoon does not work. And I didn't say you crashed your last one. Just that you can't crash this one. (I guess it might have sounded like I implied that, but wasn't meaning to)

Fiancee? How old are you, again? :CONF If you're not at least 25, you're not allowed.

66droptop
February 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM
I'm a working stiff, so 1 or 2 in the afternoon does not work. And I didn't say you crashed your last one. Just that you can't crash this one. (I guess it might have sounded like I implied that, but wasn't meaning to)

Fiancee? How old are you, again? :CONF If you're not at least 25, you're not allowed.
I work 5 10's, but I just do it at night when it's fun. One day on day shift which cuts my weekend to 1.5 days, but whatever.

I'm 25 now, will be 26 shortly. *Shudder* I'm not sure if you've ever met Molly. She's 6', very eastern European. Even with a terrible memory you'd probably at least remember the walking skyscraper. :Laughs