Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 66droptop & Jawhn at the drags

Bikes:
    S1000RR, Acid green metallic

Default 66droptop & Jawhn at the drags

Went out to a local strip tonight with John. And to be succinct, it sucked. Like 45 minutes between passes because the staging lane guy would empty out a lane, then move to the next, take everyone through there, then go to the next, and so on. Some cars were making twice as many passes as us just by returning to a staging lane one further over than the last pass. When I got to make some passes with little down time between them, I did well. Opened with an 11.2 then 11.17 then an 11.0 and started to leave more aggressively each time. Those three passes were all in the first couple minutes. But then came the eternal waiting. And my passes started to suck. The track got cold, my tires became frigid and I had to bleed the rear down a bit and start doing burnouts, and if I screwed something up or needed to change somethign for the next pass, after standing around in the cold watching the bumble**** known as drag racing for MORE THAN A HALF HOUR, I'd have trouble improving over the last time. Plus the track was getting colder and they weren't prepping it at all. And to top it off, I was already in a ****ty mood because the 10.7 I was looking for was seeming to become such a distant goal and I was tired of waiting so long and I was tired of the ****box cars and the giant diesel trucks constantly causing track delays for repairs or what ever. If you're not in the 12s, you're wasting everyone's time including your own.

I finally got to make some passes at the end that didn't have so much down time between them. And as a result my ETs immediately plummeted and I dropped back into the 10s again. But aside from the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes, the night blew hair goat ass.

My worst time was a 12.2 with a 2.8 60'. Third yellow light lit, I snapped open the throttle and jumped off the clutch, and nothing happened. The rpm went from the 5000rpm launch point up to 7000 then 8 and made such a very progressive increase. Then the rear started to step sideways, I realized I was just cooking the tire, blipped the clutch, and hooked back up. I trapped like 121mph or something because half way down the track I decided I didn't give a ****. But take off that extra second (my 60's were all in the 1.8 ballpark), and that's yet another bottom 11. I swear I can run 11.0 to 11.1 with my eyes closed. I ought to bracket race this thing.

It was fun to hang out with John and do some riding. But tonight was definitely sub-par for a drag racing night. John did well. He set the goal of an 11.3, and got it. I don't feel like looking through my slips to see what he ran, but he met his goal and did well. Especially since his bike is all stock. Hell, I'm out there with the front strapped down so that there's about an inch between the bottom of the nose and the top of my fender, I've got some very loud shorty exhaust, cams, air filter, and gears. And I wasn't much quicker than John. He even beat me twice. They were runs where I had problems (my burnout pass, and once I got my foot stuck on the left peg and couldn't find the shifter), but winning is winning. I was impressed.

Bikes:
    1998 Honda CBR900RR, 2005 Honda CBR1000RR, 2005 Suzuki GSX-R750

Default Re: 66droptop & Jawhn at the drags

Hidden Content
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Bikes:

I was too busy trying to get in some passes to bother to take a bunch of pictures. But I certainly had enough time to, had I wanted to. I've got some on my phone, but they are really small since I only use them on my phone and never bother to spend the $1.00 or whatever T-Mobile charges me to email them to myself and put them on the internet.

BK, just imagine what your bike looks like with the headlight about an inch off the fender, and that's what mine looked like. Then imagine what your bike would look like if it had carbon fiber plastics instead of yellow, and that's what John's bike looked like.

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Quote Originally Posted by 66droptop
    I was too busy trying to get in some passes to bother to take a bunch of pictures. But I certainly had enough time to, had I wanted to. I've got some on my phone, but they are really small since I only use them on my phone and never bother to spend the $1.00 or whatever T-Mobile charges me to email them to myself and put them on the internet.

BK, just imagine what your bike looks like with the headlight about an inch off the fender, and that's what mine looked like. Then imagine what your bike would look like if it had carbon fiber plastics instead of yellow, and that's what John's bike looked like.
    LOL. I think he wants to see pics of us in action. Although Ron does have a nice shot of our bikes at a gas station. Not exciting, but pretty. We do have our numbers white-penned on our visors as some sort of proof that we ran...

If any of my lousy friends I invited actually showed, they would have taken pics. Next time we go, I'll get my friend Kirk to come out and shoot. I would like to see the launch photos, had I been watching anything other than straight ahead, it would have been cool to see Rob's front wheel in the air nearly every time. There was a girl taking pictures there, don't know if she was a friend of some of the ricergeeks or if she was shooting everyone... Do they post things like that on their site?

And/or, we could have brought a camera and run against other people and shot each other. But it was fun going against Rob each time.

Oh, and I'm sure you noticed Rob, but I sort of 'borrowed' your 'bikes' description. Hehe.

Bikes:

With the bike lowered, the wheels just want to squirt out from under the bike off to the sides. Instead of the top leaning over, it's the bottom trying to sidestep out. And that was screwing with me a lot. The bike itself doesn't turn very well. Actually, it handles like a brick. But a very twitchy brick that wants to fall over.

I watch the track through 1st and part of 2nd. Basically just when the bike is acting squirrelly. Once it's settled, I'm the rest of the way down behind the windscreen just watching the tach and grabbing gears.

Not been here that long

"if you're not ruinning 12's you're wasting time?

That's a terrible attitude to have. my freaking 96RR is in the high 11's, low 12's.

I have a Ford Ranger that i put countless hours of work, and money into, just to get 13.9X. you should respect the time and effort guys put into their toys, and want to run them....not trash them because they don't run what you want.

Bikes:

I'm still going to stand by what I said. Maybe I'll extend it out to a 13.5 cut off, since even stock C5 Corvettes are lots of fun.

It's okay to have slow cars, trucks, and bikes. But if you're slow, why come out to drag race? It's not difficult when pushing a slow vehicle, and it's not exciting. I don't take my daily driver Buick Century out to go drag race, even though it makes more power than most Hondas. And why is that? Because a sizzling 15 second pass is embarrassing. Same thing with my 390 powered '66 Galaxie 500XL convertible. I built that car back up from junkyard status. But to clip off a high 14 would be, well, far from entertaining. This is like taking a Suburban out to a road course. Lots of things weren't meant to go fast, and making them go mildly quick is like polishing a turd. Even when you're done, it's still a turd.

Maybe I just have higher aspirations than others. I was very unhappy to be stuck in the bottom 11s last night because I know the bike has more in it than that. And I was going to be super pissed if I couldn't get into the 10s at least once.

What are your 60' times on your high 11/bottom 12 times? What RPM are you launching at? And lastly, what elevation are you at? My very first pass down a drag strip was just a simple shake down pass back when my bike was completely stock plus a Vance & Hines slip-on, and it was an 11.29 at 124mph.

Bikes:
    95 900RR, 81 Seca 750

...This is like taking a Suburban out to a road course. Lots of things weren't meant to go fast, and making them go mildly quick is like polishing a turd. Even when you're done, it's still a turd.

Classic, Rob. Just classic.
    Dean
    MSF RiderCoach
    Mesa, AZ
    95 900RR - Track
    06 Z750S - Street

Arizona riders, check out:
    Hidden Content

Bikes:

I don't want to scare a new guy away by coming off as cocky or anything. Welcome to the forum and all that. Start up a thread in the offtopic section about the Ranger and how on earth you got it to run a 13.9, because I actually would like to know. I've got three friends with Rangers (and a fourth with the Mazda badged version), and trust me they're all slow as hell. 302 swap, 200 shot of nitrous, JATO booster in the bed....?

Bikes:
    04 CBR1000RR

I made the mistake of going to a Test-n-Tune once.... once. Conditions were the same as what you said. 50 or so race cars/bikes and 400 street cars. While I agree with street nights and encourage rice box boys to participate in such, I think I will stay far, far away when I am trying to actually "test" something!!!

BTW: You guys suck!! Getting to hit the drag strip in January just isn't fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well at least you got to make a few passes in a row.

My one time to the drags there was a total of about 7 bikes before noon then 13 or so after noon.

We got one pass then had to wait for all the car classes to go. And I did see cars going around and doing 2 runs in a session. They didn't care.

But I tried it on the bike, "No one run" Dag on Rednecks. I swear, they still have a "Manual" Kill switch requirement. I argued for 10 minutes the first time I tried to go. I said that the kill switch on the bar was a "Manual Kill switch"

All they care about is there cars and I would say 80% were all American made and 50% of them weren't even sub 15s.

They had Mini Vans, Regular Pickups. Seen as high as 20 sec runs.

But I put a goal of sub 12 and got it the first pass at 11.999 on my race GSXR 600. And got down to low 1.9 60ft and 11.3 run on my 5th and last run. We only got about 6 runs from 10 am to 6 pm.

Bike should do sub 11s if I can get launches to 1.8. Not bad with shorter then stock wheelbase and stock height.

Bikes:
    95 cbr 900rr

where do you go chris? Thompson?
    STAND FOR SOMETHING.....OR YOULL FALL FOR ANYTHING!

Edgewater in Cincinnati, OH

I drilled a hole in the kill switch and put a string around my wrist.

I don't feel like doing a ignition kill switch.

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisOH
    Edgewater in Cincinnati, OH

I drilled a hole in the kill switch and put a string around my wrist.

I don't feel like doing a ignition kill switch.
    That's all that's required. After getting kicked out my very first time at the drag strip, I went and spent some time with the old men techs and asked lots of questions about all the rules I'd need to comply with. They were the ones who told me to put a sheetmetal screw into the kill switch, then make a loop with some string and put it around my wrist. Kill switch/lanyard done after about 5 minutes of work. It only has to be strong enough to work once, you know.

Yeah I know that is what I did as well.

But the requirements at edgwater say "Manual" Kill Switch. I kept telling the stupid redneck that the kill switch on the right clip on is Manual. "I have to manually push it". They want an auto kill if the rider comes off.

They are just retarded idiots and it just pissed me off that they were too stupid to understand the difference between Manual and Automatic.

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

After getting kicked out my very first time at the drag strip, I went and spent some time with the old men techs and asked lots of questions about all the rules I'd need to comply with. They were the ones who told me to put a sheetmetal screw into the kill switch, then make a loop with some string and put it around my wrist. Kill switch/lanyard done after about 5 minutes of work. It only has to be strong enough to work once, you know.
    I know exactly what you mean. The first time some friends and I went up to Firebird for Friday night drags was a joke. We got the rules and regs from their website. But they haven't been updated in a while. The rules we knew of were:: Snell aproved helmet, leather jacket, gloves, ankle high shoes for rider. Bike was, working tail light and chain gaurd. THAT WAS IT. When we got to inspection they asked us where our leather pants were??? "Well you can't go over 120mph then. Fine.

First run down the track I grab the clutch 3/4 of the way down and roll thru the traps at 85.? mph!!! I still clocked a mid/high 11. My friends in the stands were like "what the ???"

O.K. fast forward to the second trip to the track. This time I have found out that you need the kill switch. So I happened to find one. It is an "ignition kill" type, not a "magneto kill" type. I piggy backed it onto the actual bikes oem kill switch. So with the tether on, and the oem switch in "kill" mode (that is what I call it ) the bike still runs till you pull the tether. Anyhow I get to inspection in my leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, and bike. They look me over and go right past the kill switch. I ask them if they need to see it and they say "Nope, you aren't quicker than 11.0 flat, you don't need it). Well I am glad I had it anyhow cuz I cracked off a 11.1, and then they asked to see it just in case.....

So rider requirements are as follows: Helmet-snell aproved, Full Leather-only if 120mph+ just jacket if under 120, Ankle high boots, gloves.

Bike requirements are as follows: Taillight that works, chain gaurd, tethered kill switch-only if you are 10.99 or quicker!

And if someone else has any more to add or they changed the rules once again let me know. But those are actual NHRA drag regulations for the bikes I think...

Oh and those times are with stock sprockets and street suspension. I want to try my +2 rear and a front strap with low rear tire pressure

What I am thinking I will do is find out when they have a Fri night drag up at Fireturd, and then plan it to do the trackday that Sunday also....

John, Rob, you guys up for it??? Hell I could even bring my street upper and we could do some riding? (for night time headlight use of coarse)
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Couple of other little tips. make sure front tire pressure is at least 38-40.

Also, if you can get a screw driver in between the pads on your rear caliper spread them out if you don't have any problems with possible flipping.

Both may give you an extra tenth or two.

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Quote Originally Posted by chrisOH
    Couple of other little tips. make sure front tire pressure is at least 38-40.

Also, if you can get a screw driver in between the pads on your rear caliper spread them out if you don't have any problems with possible flipping.

Both may give you an extra tenth or two.
    Rear brake drag will affect a drag time by a tenth? Really? Damn.

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by speedextreme
    What I am thinking I will do is find out when they have a Fri night drag up at Fireturd, and then plan it to do the trackday that Sunday also....

John, Rob, you guys up for it??? Hell I could even bring my street upper and we could do some riding? (for night time headlight use of coarse)
    I'm more of a Speedworld fan myself just because of the shorter lines. But it's kind of far away.

Bikes:
    F4i, 900RR

drag racing just takes lots of practice. i used to go almost every weekend summer before last and i got pretty consistent, and went through too many clutches.

10.58 at 135- '98 gsxr 750, 122hp, full exhuast, cams, lowered, +3 rear

11.24 at 122- '01 F4i, stock height, slip on, +1 rear in full road race trim
    Justin
    CMRA #406

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast