Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: revised suspension settings

Default Re: revised suspension settings

I heard that the roads over there(read USA) are nice and smooth? the roads here in Australia are pretty bad and smooth roads are few and far between, I have had the suspension revalued with racetech internals and springs to suit my 89Kgs (196 pounds) have raised the rear ride height approx. 25-30mm and dropped the triple clamps down 7mm on the forks. This rides fantastic for me and preload is set with 30mm of sag front and rear.

Get the preload right first then start with standard factory settings, change one thing at a time and you will learn a lot.

Bikes:
    94 CBR900RR

Quote Originally Posted by gixerkiller View Post
    here is a revised suspension set-up list.......this is a STARTING point guys. don't take it as the truth of all things. start here and expiriment.

cbr 900rr-t/v

front

comp...........................................1/2 turn out
    rebound........................................1 turn out
    preload/sag...................................1 line showing

rear

comp.............................................1/2 turn out
    rebound.........................................1/2 turn out
    preload/sag....................................position 6 of 7

additional..............5mm of fork leg above the top clamp excludind fork cap/2mm for road

cbr 900rr-w

front

comp.........................................1-1/4 turns out
    rebound.....................................1 turn out
    preload/sag................................3 lines (12mm of adjuster showing) static sag: 31mm

rear

comp.........................................1/4 turn out
    rebound.....................................1/2 turn out
    preload/sag................................position 4 of 7, position 3 with a pasenger or if you weigh more than 190

rebound..........................................2 turns out
    preload/sag.....................................position 6

I HAVE OTHERS FOR ALL MAKES......HONDAS/KAWKS/YAMIES/SUSUKS/DUCS/TRUMPETS.

POST UP IF YOU NEED A STARTING POINT
    Sorry for the newbness gixer (and I hope you still answer this even though it's a sticky), but I don't know how to tell which 900 I have by the versions you listed. I would like to adjust my suspension being a large guy 230#. I have a 94 900RR and if there is more info you need I will be glad to get it. I am mechanically inclined but not sure how to interpret your directions correctly as to not screw up adjusting. I've downloaded the manual and have the Haynes book for reference though I haven't read them entirely. If there is a detailed instruction there then just let me know.
    Thanks for the help.!!
    P.L.U.R - is a way of life, so start living it.

gixerkiller

Quote Originally Posted by hondaroller69 View Post
    Sorry for the newbness gixer (and I hope you still answer this even though it's a sticky), but I don't know how to tell which 900 I have by the versions you listed. I would like to adjust my suspension being a large guy 230#. I have a 94 900RR and if there is more info you need I will be glad to get it. I am mechanically inclined but not sure how to interpret your directions correctly as to not screw up adjusting. I've downloaded the manual and have the Haynes book for reference though I haven't read them entirely. If there is a detailed instruction there then just let me know.
    Thanks for the help.!!
    look at your vin plate the 8th or 9th digit (it will be a letter) will give you the model designation

you could also call a honda dealer and ask them what the unit alfabet code is for the years.

with suzuki it was simple....93to 95 gsx-rs were w models (w ment water cooled) when they reached 2000 the gsx-r designation became k1,k2,k3,k4,k5,k6,k7 and now k8.

kawasakis are the same it is the 8th or 9th on the vin plate that tell what you have.

Bikes:
    94 CBR900RR

Default suspension settings

Thanks for quick reply gixxer.

I have my vin number in front of me and the 8th/9th digit is a number. The 10th and 11th (from left to right) is a letter. 10th is R and 11th is M. Hope this will help if not let me know.

Thanks again for your help.

gixerkiller

Default Re: suspension settings

Thanks for quick reply gixxer.

I have my vin number in front of me and the 8th/9th digit is a number. The 10th and 11th (from left to right) is a letter. 10th is R and 11th is M. Hope this will help if not let me know.

Thanks again for your help.
    looking at the honda spec book for 00 to 04 the 9th letter is the designator

so JH2SC440*YM000001

the astrik is the designator

in the US the 8th number designates CALIFORNIA emissions or 49 state emissions

call a local honda shop if they cant tell ya then call honda.

Bikes:
    94 CBR900RR

I'll give the local honda a call tomorrow to find out about my 94 900rr.

Thanks,

Bikes:
    96 900RR

WARNING: I will probably offend you at some point

Bikes:
    94 CBR900RR

Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    Your right Bo and if I read the document correctly then my bike was actually built in 93 in japan and probably sold here in 94. But, my VIN# doesn't agree with information that gixxer is providing so I can adjust my suspension accordingly. I realize it's for reference but at least I would know how to adjust for myself.

I tried calling the Honda motorcycle dealer in Charlotte, NC but the tech guy said that the VIN # was used for identification purposes only and not for any type of referal for settings suspension or otherwise.

I'll try your other suggestion gixxer.

Thanks,
    Last edited by hondaroller69; April 3rd, 2008 at 02:26 PM.

gixerkiller

Your right Bo and if I read the document correctly then my bike was actually built in 93 in japan and probably sold here in 94. But, my VIN# doesn't agree with information that gixxer is providing so I can adjust my suspension accordingly. I realize it's for reference but at least I would know how to adjust for myself.

I tried calling the Honda motorcycle dealer in Charlotte, NC but the tech guy said that the VIN # was used for identification purposes only and not for any type of referral for settings suspension or otherwise.

I'll try your other suggestion gixxer.

Thanks,
    thats right what you need is the letter that designates year.

and model

like a gsxr, 93-96 was gsx-r 750w....w for watercooled

but i happen to have a 95 right here

the vin is JS1GR7BA1S2101357

the 10th letter on suzukis is year

so JS1GR7BA1S2101357 s gives us 95

for model and engine type on suzukis it is the 5th and 6th digits

so JS1GR7BA1S2101357 gives you a 750 (this will always match the first numbers on the motor if original)

post up your vin in my pm if you are nervous and i will decipher it for you

Bikes:
    94 CBR900RR

Sorry for taking so long to respond back. Had to work all day Saturday and put my fairings back on after work. Just got them fixed and primered to be painted later this month. I will pm you gixer with vin #.

Thanks for your help.!!

Bikes:
    Honda CBR 1000 RR Fireblade ABS 2014

hey guy's

My suspension is set up for track I think.

I want to set it back to normal standard settings.

I have 94 forks fitted. And (finally) a standard 94 shock in there too.
    How would I go about adjusting it.

If It helps for rider weight, im 12 stone ish.
    Honda CBR900RR Fireblade, Suzuki SV1000s, Honda CB400 SF, Honda CBR600RR Hidden Content - GONE
    Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade ABS 2014 Hidden Content
    Forum moderator Hidden Content
    Valentino Rossi waving to me Hidden Content

Not been here that long NDMBlackBlade's Avatar

That is the million dollar question.... suspension adjusting !
    I have read a lot on the Internet about suspension and there's so many different opinions out there. I don't disagree with a lot of whats said but i do think most people simply read about suspension and then decide what they think is right and wrong.
    Suspension is something i have studied for years, on road bikes up and down from work, on track days here and abroad, on race days at home and away. I have been lucky enough to visit the Ohlins factory in Sweden to study the doing fuck all even further.
    I could write a book, a very big book on suspension settings and the dynamics of a motorcycle.
    Anyhow that's a little back ground... back to the question...
    There is no right and wrong way to set suspension ! simple as that. If it works for YOU its right.
    There are a few guide lines you should try keep within. Static sag is the single most important setting on the bike. once you have this set you can start adjusting your damping. Difference types of bikes need different sag, but we,ll stick with sports bikes for the minute. 25 30 mm front 10 15mm rear. no rider just the bike on its own, carrying its own weight, then lifted off the ground and topped out, there are quite a few stock and after market forks and shocks that have strong top out springs. When you have the bike off the ground push down on the wheel to fully extend the suspension (ideally you need to remove the springs, measure them, refit them, measure them again and this gives you the preload on the spring, equally as important as sag, but lets try keep it simple as) Right thats your sag set.
    There are not many sports bikes that wont fall into these settings. Lets not get into spring rates at the minute. As a general rule jap stuff has soft springs and European has hard springs.
    We have all jumped on a bike straight off and got that FEEL, a bike that responds well, is controlled and behaves. that's what your looking for when you start adj the damping.
    A good way to start is to push down on the bike, front or rear and get a feel for it. close the the rebound valve, and do it again, if the shock works it will return real slow, adj a few clicks at a time until you can see little or no resistance, then adj back in a little bit, like a clutch you are looking for the bite. If you not sure less is more.
    Compression is much harder to feel and set, as a rough guide count the setting on your bike and set the comp in the middle.
    Once you have this done find a nice stretch of road you know and like and spin up and down, try different settings on rebound and comp, only do one thing at a time and do adjust in big steps, four clicks or one full turn. you will start to feel what works what.
    As i said before there is no right and wrong way to do it. You can play away on your bike and get her spot on... give the bike to your mate and he wont be able to ride it... Its a personal thing, everybody is different.
    The single biggest factor in suspension is you. If it feels good, it is good.
    Regards....

Bikes:
    99' 900RR, 02' 954RR

cbr 900rr 2002

front

comp..............................................3 turns out (track 1 turn out)
    rebound..........................................2 turns out
    preload/sag.....................................11 turns out ( 9 turns for track)

So im supposed to tighten the preload nut all the way down until it cant tighten anymore then back it out 11 full turns?

Bikes:
    cbr 900 RR 97

hello from Italy! I have CBR 900 '97 driven for 75k Km and here is my experience. If you have still stock rear shock: dispose it respecting the environment. Pls do not leave it in trash bin.. my experience is after 20k km it start "kangooring" and bouncing without any damping. You can try to adjust as much as you want but the hydraulics is likely to be gone! this is because they use a cheap bladder to separate oil from gas. This rubber will likely crack or get dry in a relatively short while and emulsion takes place. In 2006 I decided not to sell the "grandmother" bought a new Ohlins (ho601) and it was a change "night to day". This year after ca 30 k km I had it serviced from an authorized dealer with vacuum chamber and he changed the Ohlins oil with Kayaba K2 and made a modification adding an OR inside the sleeve that is sealing the piggy back. It is incredibly sharp in cornering and the bike is very stable at any speed. THen you can enjoy the different setting ( I left std height eye-to-eye but I was curious to make it +2mm longer). Currently I am +12 click in comp and +12 click in rebound (stock). Spring preload: ca 11mm with 150N stock spring ohlins. Note that 96-97 model required a very strong leaf springs shimming in the rear shock as per the high stiffness spring. This is stressing the fluids in the shock and is likely the reason they changed the ratio of the swing arm in 98-99 my (and so shocks as well)

Front: slide the forks ca 2mm above upper triple clamp and I am using Ohlins linear springs (90). I was very happy with the AFT oil (Selenia Tutela for truck and steerings). Very cheap (8-9 per liter) and having a viscosity almost identical to the SHowa SS8 stock fluid of ca 36cst@ 40C. This summer I added the upgrade of hydraulics to the fork. I got mad searching the Ohlins Supersport kit and finally I bought a kit from Mupo (compr + rebound kit). With the kit I changed the low viscosity oil (ca 16 cst@ 40C) and I am now very very happy with comp: 1 turn and rebound : +1.5 turn. Spring preload is 3d notch from top. The bike is a pleasure to drive, easy quick and precise. Few months ago I went to buy a GSX-R and the owner was rather considering buying mine..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04463.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	14828

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12