Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

Default Re: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

I was reading a testimonial at Speedohealer.com and was like man, This sounds really familiar.. Like I almost knew who this guy was...

Then at the end I saw it... So... do all Custom healers on the 900s' the same calibration? or are they different...

I have a 1995 Honda CBR900RR that I forward-engineered to be a 1998-99 bike.

I had changed over the bodywork, swingarm, subframe and wiring loom with gauges. Upon installing the gauges, I had the problem where the speedo was only partially displaying the actual speed. For example, when I was traveling at 80mph, my speedo would indicate 18-20mph.

The 98 speed sender is located on the crankcase. Although the Honda connection plug and wiring colors are the same, the speed sender itself is a completely different design to the 97 and earlier bikes. I wasn't sure how to get my speedo to work, and considered purchasing the 98 speed sender with the hope of modifying it to work off the 95 front sprocket nut. But that was a huge stab in the dark that I had no idea if it would have worked. Besides, even if it did work, I still would have been left with a highly-optimistic speedo, and an odometer that was clicking over faster than it should have.

Then I learned about the SpeedoHealer device. My friend told me about it, but I suggested to him it wouldn't work because it only had +/-100% adjustment. He then told me about the custom versions you manufacture, so then I thought there might be hope! I searched the site and found the testimonial from the Harley rider with his speedo conversion, and he talked about his success with the SpeedoHealer.

Based on his positive story, I went ahead and placed my order and it arrived in about a week, well packaged and in good condition.

(I ordered a unit with 0 to +999.9% calibration range, and with ability to convert between km/h and mph.)

Install with the Honda-1 plug kit was extremely easy and quick. Unfortunately, in my haste to get the unit on my bike to see if it worked, I neglected to properly secure it and on my test ride, it fell off! I rode around for an hour looking for it, but I couldn't find it. Talk about disappointment!

I emailed the company explaining my situation and in relatively no time at all, another SpeedoHealer was on its way to me. This time, I was more careful with the install! My replacement unit had been pre-programmed to +375%. I went out for a test ride and was overjoyed to see my speedo needle rise above 20mph! I went up to 80mph, using a Sigma BC1200 bicycle computer for reference. I needed to stop and increase the correction to 422% to get it spot on, but SpeedoHealer's instructions for adjustment were simple to follow. I am also using an Acumen DiGi gear indicator and these two devices co-exist perfectly together. I would recommend waiting to set the DiGi until the user has the exact calibration set for the SpeedoHealer, because the speed signal will change from the SpeedoHealer if you adjust the correction values, and then the DiGi will be confused.

The end result is that I have a perfectly working, completely accurate, linear speedometer on my bike that can be easily custom calibrated for any sprocket combination I want to install in future! All for around $100USD! I am thinking of moving back to Australia at the end of 2005, and if I do, I will be taking my bike with me. The great thing is that all I need to do to ride my bike on Australian roads is to install the KM/H speedo face that came with my Indiglo gauges, and then just flip a switch on my SpeedoHealer. Voila! Instant KM/H conversion in the correct units displayed. And, no need to replace the expensive gauges.

My friend who told me about the SH site is now also going to get one himself, because when we were riding together yesterday, I was telling him my speed, and at 80mph, he was showing 11mph higher on his Hayabusa. That's a significant error than needs rectification!

Once again SH Team, thanks so much for all your help. Your customer service, product knowledge and attention to detail are excellent! I thoroughly recommend your product, and will do so to whomever I meet in future that rides a motorcycle!

Simon R., Wixom, MI (USA)

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

LOL.........that would happen to be me!

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    95 CBR 900RR

I was reading the same thing and slowly figured it out as well that it was Simi

I just rode home tonight and the led lights were not that bad. I do have a switch installed if it does start to bug my eyes. I was going to make something out of firber glass but that will need to wait untill winter. I would love to change the amber lights to blue but I'm running out of money for all of these mods. When I got the bike I though that I would not need to do anything to it, and Man was I wrong. The bike now runs like a champ and I'm just working on the mods, Things add up really quick.

I could not have completed this mod with out the help of everyone on this site.

Thanks again

Randy

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    fireblade 918rr and a bandit as a hack vtr firestorm

this sounds a great mod ,do you no how i can sharpen up thr rear end of my blade it is a rrx 98 and would like the 954 rea end but they changed the frame so no a straight swap thanks grant
    Quote Originally Posted by Sime View Post
    Well, it can definitely be done! Both Stealth (Scott) and myself are proof in the pudding.

Everything works with my new F4i gauges, including the speedo, high beam, oil light, neutral and temperature gauge. 93-97 900RR's have the analog temp gauge so the temp sender is different to the 98> bikes (and the F4i). Stealth adapted an F4i temp sender to his 93, but you can just as easily buy a 98-99 temp sender for about $30 and screw it in. This will work for all year 900RR's up to 97, as the sending unit has the same part # from 93-97.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_03...80&parent=5320

The part number for the 98-99 temp sender is: 37750-KV3-951

The install went really well, and I was able to bolt the gauges up to my existing gauge stay without having to make an adapter plate (but I am using the 98-99 gauge stay). I did screw a small piece of aluminium to one side to extend the mounting surface this allowed me to use two out of the three F4i dash mounts. Its solidly on there.

Also, as the F4i gauges run to 17K, directly on the gauge face, I used some 3M Tartan black electrical tape to black out the redline from 14-17K...so it 'visually' maxes out at 13K now. You can hardly see the tape - it looks good.

Gotta put the bike together now. I'll take some more pics once that's done. It's an awesome mod and very worthwhile...the tacho does a full sweep and the speedo counts down from from max speed to zero. Impressive. Oh, and the gauges are a nice amber color.

If anybody wants to do this mod, I have attached the wiring diagram. FYI, the 'FI' wire and the 'res sens' wire do not connect to anything....and you do need to connect the + red wire directly to the battery (to power the clock). All the remaining wires on the 900RR are the same color as the F4i, with the exception of the Ignition wire.... which on the F4i is Black/Brown, and on the 900RR it is plain brown.

Cheers,
    Sime

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

The gauges were one of the best mods I ever made to my bike!

I can't talk about the 954 tail section, but I can talk to I'm blue in the face about the 03-04 Gixxer 1000 tail swap......because I have successfully done it.

http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3272

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Hey Sime, everyone. F4i face stickers VERY soon... Check the pic in this post: http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthr...8530#post48530

Sime, you get one free if you want. Just PM me your mailing addy.

jahwn do I get free one too

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by kiai View Post
    jahwn do I get free one too
    I am giving one to Sime since he started the thread/concept of the F4i gauge mod... (And is just a cool guy in general) Maybe I missed something, did you contribute something to this as well? (It's been awhile since I read the whole thread, I apologize if you had a huge part of this mod...) Just let me know if so.

And you misspelled my misspelled name. You're losing points here, man. Everyone wants to either drop the "h" or put it in the wrong spot.

Well I was just joking but seriously keep me updated on this gauge face project I want to buy one.

I've made mounting brackets for the 94-97 and 98-99 stays they are machined and made of aluminum.

ops I've mistaken ur name would a sorry solve this

do we have other members here from Egypt /me wonders

Bikes:

No worries, man. I just wasn't sure. I will hook you up. Anything cool to trade in the realm of $10-$15 USD? Doesn't have to be anything major, just something cool, something I can't find in the states would be really cool...

And yeah, noone spells my misspelled name right anyways.

well if ur smoking tobacco water pipe, wooden bong that can be converted to a smoking pipe

Bikes:
    96 900RR

ok quick how to. unscrew the (2) screws on the back of the gauge that holds the wiring harness cover then with a small screwdriver or pick GENTLY pop the 2 plugs loose evenly not to bend a pin. then unscrew the reinder of the screws from the back of the gauge. then just separate the front from the back (and careful not to drop the board) when they come apart. Then make sure the needle is on 0 and take a teaspoon and slide under the needle to the shaft and gently pry it off and careful not to twist the needle while doing sothen you're ready to put the sticker on and reasemble in reverse order
    WARNING: I will probably offend you at some point

Not been here that long

so, does anyone know why you run a side stand signal to the dash if there isnt a side stand indicator light?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufdog View Post
    so, does anyone know why you run a side stand signal to the dash if there isnt a side stand indicator light?
    wondering the same thing I use my FI led instead

Bikes:
    96 900RR

If I'm not mistaken (and I don't think I am) the side stand light in to the right of the tach in the center of the little chrome bezel

it's a shift/high RPM warning light and yes it's a yellow like the sidestand but it's not =[

Bikes:
    96 900RR

Quote Originally Posted by kiai View Post
    it's a shift/high RPM warning light and yes it's a yellow like the sidestand but it's not =[
    hmmm. well i have been wrong in the past so i guess a few more times won't hurt

Not been here that long

yeah, I've been thinking about hooking it to the FI light as well.

Bikes:
    96 900RR

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufdog View Post
    yeah, I've been thinking about hooking it to the FI light as well.
    according to the diagram on the f4i gauge the green/white stripe wire is the side stand which Sime said worked with his 98-99 bike as well as the temp sender. I have done two swaps one on a 96 and a 97 and niether of which a side stand light comes on, it does still shut the bike off if it's in gear and you put it down. i assume it's due to the year and not being digital. And Sime also used a 360% correction on his speedohealer where as I just yesterday had to do 500% correction on the 97 which btw is 1 down 2 up on the gearing.
    Last edited by Bo; April 27th, 2008 at 07:55 AM.

Bikes:

Oh, Sime, ol' buddy, ol' pal...

Talked to Bo about which wires to hook up on the F4i gauges I just bought off fleabay, and tried hooking them up, no dice.

I'm pretty much just wanting to make sure the miles aren't way off before I tear into my electrical.

At present, I have tried hooking the following wires up:

Solid Green from White plug to battery ground.

Red w/ Green stripe, and Black with Brown stripe from Black plug, and Green with White stripe on White plug to Positive from battery... Nothing. Nothing lights up.

Any help appreciated in advance! (From anyone, but Sime seems to be the most knowledgeable on this mod...) Also, if you want one of my F4i/900RR faceplates for yours, it's on me, just PM me your mailing address again.

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast