Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

Default Re: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

I guess to we should post up if we are trying to get one? I am there is one on Ebay now that I might try to get. Little curious some are for less than $50 and others are for $200.
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    Little curious some are for less than $50 and others are for $200.
    Some people are greedy, others are not. What also determines the price is the condition of the gauges and the mileage.

Will email you the wiring diagram Mike. By the way, the colors indicated on the diagram are from the F4i gauges, but the colors are the same on the 900RR side, with the exception of the ignition sense wire. On the F4i it is brown and white, and on the 900RR it is brown (or the other way around, but you can see where I am coming from!).

It's a DEAD simple job to wire up. Just remember to run a separate wire directly from the battery (with a fuse) to the red '+' on the gauges. This provides constant power to the clock.

Cheers!
    Always looking skyward, wishing I was up there!

Bikes:
    99' 900RR, 02' 954RR

is there a plug that will mate up to the 900rr's factory speedo wiring harness I would rather make an adapter than permanently cut all those wires? probably not but had to ask

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Not that I know of. The plug would be different on one side.

If you want to keep the plug, just splice into the wires and seal with electrical tape....or buy another harness!

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

You might be able to call a parts place and see if they have any cracked clusters from a 900, buy it and just cut the cluster side off and rewire to plug into the male connector on the bike. I will probably go with the rewire
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

You might be able to call a parts place and see if they have any cracked clusters from a 900, buy it and just cut the cluster side off and rewire to plug into the male connector on the bike. I will probably go with the rewire
    Already been down that road...that's why I didn't suggest it.

I have a 900RR 98-99 curcuit board with the plug, but the way the plug is soldered and attached to the circuit board, it would never work.

Bikes:
    '92 CBR900RR "The Orginal", '94 VFR750, 1979 XL100

Back from holidays! I just wanted to add my info;

My temp sender did not work, so I re threaded an f4i sender to fit. I am confused as to why the 98 sender works as it's the same part number for all 900's.... still it's worth a shot as it's a better solution to using the f4 sender. The reason being is the 900's use a tapered thread (1/8" BSPT). The f4 (and later blades) use a M12 (IIRC) which is a parallel thread, this requires a washer and seating face. The 900's don't have room for this. The solution is to re tap the f4 to a 1/8" BSP thread, add some washers and sealant.

As to the wiring, the side stand wire is not required either. That is used by the gauges to re-set the reserve fuel warning. As were not using it, there is no need to connect it.

The 95 speedo sender (also on other bikes such as the 750 VFR's) has three wires, positive, earth and signal. Black is positive, green is earth and the third (pink IIRC) is the signal to the dash. I ran all three wires up to the front and connect to the fused blocks in the fairing for power for the sender and gauges.

Enjoy...
    "I reckon a little pain and suffering is worth any amount of riding" Ben Manton R.I.P. 12/2005

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Sime View Post
    Just remember to run a separate wire directly from the battery (with a fuse) to the red '+' on the gauges.
    Another solution is to patch into the connector for the ignition switch on the battery side, this is fused (tho it's large) and doesn't require running the extra wires.
    "I reckon a little pain and suffering is worth any amount of riding" Ben Manton R.I.P. 12/2005

Bikes:

The 900 gauges (well mine does) has one six pin and a four pin. These are standard connectors, but aren't easily available. You might be able to persuade the likes of Norbert from Speedo Healer to sell you some tho. I figured I'd never be going back to the OEM gauges so cutting the harness is no problems.

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Actually Scotty, I don't know where you are getting your parts numbers from, but the 93-97 and the 98-99 temp senders are not the same part numbers. I think I even detailed that earlier in this thread.

Use the microfishe at www.ronayers.com to see for yourself.

93-97: 37750-PC1-004
    98-99: 37750-KV3-951

I suspect the 98-99 sender has different circuitry in there to suit the digital temp gauge. That's why mine worked and your's didn't.

Coincidently, when I first fitted the 98-99 gauges to my 95, when I had the 95 temp sender in there, my gauges flashed 270deg.....so I'd say that has something to do with a signal incompatability. When I put the 98-99 sender in there, it worked perfectly, as it does with my F4i gauges.

At least you worked out a solution though which is great!

Cheers!

Bikes:

arrrk damit!!

I just checked my fiche again and your completely correct! Here I am screwing with tapping threads and buggerising around and I could have just bought a 98 sender... oh well... dunno what I was thinking but I was scratching my head wondering why yours worked.

My first thought was that the later models with the digital temp guages would use a different sender...

Oh well I'd best go and order a 98 temp sender then

Bikes:

Ah buggers, was on E-bay last night trying to get a set of gauges but lost it at $78. Had high miles too, didn't think anyone else really wanted gauges with 20,000 miles. But I was wrong

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    '01 CBR 929 RR; KX 250

So, would it be possible to use a 1000RR cluster on a 929RR??
    2001 Stock 929

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Ah buggers, was on E-bay last night trying to get a set of gauges but lost it at $78. Had high miles too, didn't think anyone else really wanted gauges with 20,000 miles. But I was wrong
    High miles????!!!!! You think 20000 miles is high??? I have over double that on mine!!!
    And I think I was watching the same ones you were??
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Quote Originally Posted by Godti View Post
    So, would it be possible to use a 1000RR cluster on a 929RR??
    Anything is possible... You might want to start a new thread for this though. This one's about F4i > 900RR...

Bikes:

Maybe. There are issues with that mod on to the 900's due to the ECU taking to the dash. I don't understand them myself but there you go. I would say that if there are the same signals going to both I can't see why not. You got $100 to try - you can always sell it on if it doesn't work.

Opps sorry Jawhn - new thread YEAH RIGHT Sir Thread-Jacker

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    ... Opps sorry Jawhn - new thread YEAH RIGHT Sir Thread-Jacker
    LOL. Yeah, I know. Was trying to be good.

It just seemed like a very distinct question that might not get answered since the thread was for another similar mod... Just trying to help, is all...

But yes, guilty as charged, fo sho.

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

WELLLLLLL, it just so happens that I have been chatting with a super nice guy who has a '93 900RR. He wants to upgrade his dash to the F4i....maybe. Reason why it's a maybe is that he has a 1000RR dash that he's going to mail me so I can see if it might happen to work - on my bike. After I'm done testing this out, I'll send him his gauges back and I'll then buy my own.

Reason why I'm thinking that it might work is that I thought the 954 gauges worked only with the ECU too. It turns out that the 954 can be ridden around quite happily without any gauges whatsoever, so if the bike doesn't need gauges, then theoretically, a 1000RR gauge should retrofit to the 954......and the 929 and 900. You'd only need to connect the appropriate wires.

This 'test' will probably occur in about the next 2-3 weeks. Stay tuned for what I find out with my 900RR.

BTW, I'm perfectly happy with the F4i gauges, but the 1000RR gauges would be fun. This 'modding addiction' never stops, does it?!!!

Cheers,
    Sime
    Last edited by Sime; February 25th, 2007 at 02:40 AM.

Bikes:

The F4i gauges look better IMHO, but the main benefit of the 1000RR gauges would be the tacho or more importantly the range it shows.

And no it doesn't

Here's my "to do" list;

1000RR forks c/w radials (yes they do fit but about a 10mm lower). They will work with my current 954 front end just gotta shim the calipers out to suit the disc.
    XX Engine
    GSXR tail (good one sime!)
    SSS...

Did I miss anything?

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    The F4i gauges look better IMHO, but the main benefit of the 1000RR gauges would be the tacho or more importantly the range it shows.
    The range is definitely better

And no it doesn't
    Doesn't what? The modding addiction? Or that the 1000RR gauges don't work on our bikes? If so, how do you know for sure mate? Do you know somebody that tried this already? Maybe they didn't have a SpeedoHealer.

1000RR forks c/w radials (yes they do fit but about a 10mm lower).
    I considered this for a time too. I know a guy in the 'states who races an RC51. He put some radial calipers on his RC51 forks with adapters. I can get you those adapters if interested. They're about $200USD the pair.

SSS...
    Well, you know how I feel about those!

GSXR tail (good one sime!)
    Thanks....but I can't take all the credit. 'Big Roy' slapped a 1K tail on his bike before I did. I guess I just finished mine off to a higher standard than his.
    Last edited by Sime; February 26th, 2007 at 04:32 AM.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast