Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

Default Re: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

so we can use the complete 1000rr front end with no problems? besides the 10mm lower.. which who cares, I have my front end lowered to I can touch the ground... (along with the rear) So what would the benifit be of this?
    Archer

Bikes:
    '92 CBR900RR "The Orginal", '94 VFR750, 1979 XL100

Quote Originally Posted by Sime View Post
    Doesn't what? The modding addiction? Or that the 1000RR gauges don't work on our bikes?
    The modding addiction. As for the gauges, if they have the required signal input wires I cannot see why they wouldn't work.

I considered this for a time too. I know a guy in the 'states who races an RC51. He put some radial calipers on his RC51 forks with adapters. I can get you those adapters if interested. They're about $200USD the pair.
    Yeah but for the same amount (or nearly) I could get the 1000RR forks (although they'd be the right height). I have a mate with a 954 with the 1000RR forks... nice.
    "I reckon a little pain and suffering is worth any amount of riding" Ben Manton R.I.P. 12/2005

Bikes:
    '92 CBR900RR "The Orginal", '94 VFR750, 1979 XL100

Quote Originally Posted by Archer 900RR View Post
    so we can use the complete 1000rr front end with no problems?
    I didn't say that... only that I know 1k forks fit in the 954 triples. I don't know anything about the 1K triple clamp set-up but it would probably work.

BTW: 10mm is not an exact measurement - don't quote me. But yes it's not really an issue as you can run the forks a little lower in the clamp. Many people raise their forks for turn in anyway.
    "I reckon a little pain and suffering is worth any amount of riding" Ben Manton R.I.P. 12/2005

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

Well I bought my gauges so now I have to wait a few days to get it done. I will try to post up some piccy's when I get it done . . . may be a bit though. Gotta get the bike outta atorage. Just could not stand to see her sitting in the garage all winter with my drewl marks on the tank.
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Bikes:
    99 900RR

Hey guys, concerning the tach face, give Alan with LEDgear a shout.

www.malicarr.legend.yorks.com/index.html

I had him make me some custom gauges for my FZR and they rock! He does custom backlighting too. Here are the clocks he made me.......

The backlighting is all LED. Give him a shout and see if he can make you the faceplate you want. Tell him Mad Hatter sent you.
    1987 Excite Bike ChampionHidden Content

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

What does he charge ? Is he a bit spendy or fair ?
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Bikes:
    99 900RR

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    What does he charge ? Is he a bit spendy or fair ?
    He is really fair I think. I paid $350 for the set above shipped. It would have been 1/2 that if I had some gauges to send him but I didn't have a core. Remember that includes it is all custom plus the entire gear indicator set up, LED backlighting, re-working the housing, custom faces. Contact him and tell him what you want, he'll give you a price. He is very good with keeping you up to trim on the progress of your piece too.
    1987 Excite Bike ChampionHidden Content

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Just found a local set of F4i gauges for $100. Is that good or bad? Guy claims they are only 1 year old, and he is unsure of mileage... But I would find out before buying...

Thanks in advance. Just need one or two "Damn that's a good deal" or "Way too much" to have an idea.

Bikes:
    95 CBR900RR

Quote Originally Posted by jawhn View Post
    Just found a local set of F4i gauges for $100. Is that good or bad? Guy claims they are only 1 year old, and he is unsure of mileage... But I would find out before buying...

Thanks in advance. Just need one or two "Damn that's a good deal" or "Way too much" to have an idea.
    Hey Jawhn,

I just bought a set for $100 myself...they arrived yestiddy! I am putting mine in right now! I got lucky too...they have 21K miles on the f4i and my bike is only off 151 miles! I just need to buy a 98-99 temp sender unit . I wanted EVERYTHING working today!
    Don't talk about it...BE about it!!

1995 CBR900RR
    1981 CB900F
    1981 KZ250LTD (Aww shut up...it's fun!)

Bikes:
    95 CBR900RR

Just wanted to throw this out there:
    Instead of clipping the wires off, you can use a jewelers screwdriver or a scribe (or anything small and pointy) to push the tabs that hold in the wire pins into the connector on the f4i harness. Then just simply slide the pins in the connector correctly in the required order. Both the f4i and 900rr pins are the same! Also you can do this method to use the connectors(you will need the smaller one) from your 900 to make it work. Doing this will allow you to connect directly to your 900rr harness and keep it cleaner looking. I am speaking for the 1995-1997, someone may want to check on the 98-99 though.

1995 CBR900RR
    1981 CB900F

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Thanks Holla... And good idear on the splicing method.

Did $100 seem a bit high, or cheap to you? And can anyone else chime in quickly? (ala WOODMAN bump) I need to call this guy in the next hour or so. Thanks in advance!

Oh. And what wires would I need to connect -only- to see mileage? Anyone know that tidbit of helpful info?

Bikes:
    95 CBR900RR

Well, ANYTHING seems high for me, especially spending a bill. But I have seen a few go for over 150 or so. I even lost a bid that went for 113. Only once I saw one that went for about 80. So 100 I think is right in the middle. As for the wires you hook up just to see the mileage...I won't know until about a couple of hours.

1995 CBR900RR
    1981 CB900F

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Quote Originally Posted by MakeUHolla View Post
    someone may want to check on the 98-99 though.
    Nope. Won't work. The 98-99 plug is completely different.

In the end, I just cut my 98 plug off (I have it for sale if anybody's interested). I figured I would never need to go back to analog gauges. The F4i gauges are super-sweet!

Cheers,
    Sime
    Always looking skyward, wishing I was up there!

Bikes:
    95 CBR900RR

Just hooked mine up! Sweeeet! I am gonna post the wiring up later along with a few pics for the 95-97 because I found a few differences in wiring color.

Sime, how did you get the "red" warning light beside the Neutral light to go off. I would get it off if I knew what it was. What is it?

1995 CBR900RR
    1981 CB900F

Bikes:
    97" 900rr, 06" 600rr

[QUOTE=Sime;32083]Hey Chris,

The F4i harness plugs are different to what I had, so being unable to source those plugs, I cut off the 98-99 speedo plug and used some commercially available 8P and 4P plugs to wire everything in. I also soldered every connection. There are a total of 14 connections, so you could use a 12P plus a 2P, 2 x 8P's (& have two spaces blank). I used an 8P and two 4P's because I forgot that I could have used 2 x 8P's.....and then the shop was shut so I couldn't buy any more! But it worked out well in the end!

Oh, and the FI (led) light doesn't light up at all - thankfully! Also, the F4i has a fuel gauge and reserve light, and neither of these function either. Basically, the great news is that everything on these gauges functions in concert with what needs to work.....and nothing more. I tell you what, it's so nice to have a clock on the gauges!!

What R U talking about with the P's does this mean "pin" is so can't I just locate the factory plug and butt splice the wires.
    Keep it on @ least 1 wheel Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Bikes:
    97" 900rr, 06" 600rr

[QUOTE=Sime;32083]Hey Chris,

The F4i harness plugs are different to what I had, so being unable to source those plugs, I cut off the 98-99 speedo plug and used some commercially available 8P and 4P plugs to wire everything in. I also soldered every connection. There are a total of 14 connections, so you could use a 12P plus a 2P, 2 x 8P's (& have two spaces blank). I used an 8P and two 4P's because I forgot that I could have used 2 x 8P's.....and then the shop was shut so I couldn't buy any more! But it worked out well in the end!

Oh, and the FI (led) light doesn't light up at all - thankfully! Also, the F4i has a fuel gauge and reserve light, and neither of these function either. Basically, the great news is that everything on these gauges functions in concert with what needs to work.....and nothing more. I tell you what, it's so nice to have a clock on the gauges!!

What R U talking about with the P's does this mean "pin" is so can't I just locate the factory plug and butt splice the wires.
    Hidden Content

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Quote Originally Posted by MakeUHolla View Post
    Sime, how did you get the "red" warning light beside the Neutral light to go off. I would get it off if I knew what it was. What is it?
    It is the (low) oil pressure light. Hmmm....I remember replacing my oil pressure sensor with a 98-99 version because it didn't work on my 98-99 900RR gauges either (I got the constant red light like you do).

When I put the new sender in, I still got the light again. WTF? It's just a pressure sender. Then it struck me..what if the sender signal wire is grounded, that would close the circuit and make the light go on. So, I had a look at the signal wire and found that it was pinched on the engine - and it was grounding! Replaced the damaged wire and all works perfectly now. The light turns off about a second after you start the bike.

Check the wire, and if it is fine, you might need a new sender. I question that however because Scotty (Stealth) has done the swap too and he's got a 93. He didn't report the light staying on.

One other thing to check, is the wire at the gauges touching anything (either in the plug, or outside it)?

Good luck! Hope you find the issue mate.

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

900RRguy, just a tip, when you quote, you have to put [/quote] at the end of the quote.

Re the 'P', it stands for pin. If you can find the other side of the factory plug (one way is to buy a harness off ebay), then you can splice it.

Bikes:
    97" 900rr, 06" 600rr

Cool Re: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

ty Sime
    Hidden Content

Bikes:
    95 CBR900RR

It is the (low) oil pressure light. Hmmm....I remember replacing my oil pressure sensor with a 98-99 version because it didn't work on my 98-99 900RR gauges either (I got the constant red light like you do).
    You might be right about the oil pressure light. I was just making sure. I remember you saying earlier in the thread that I would have to get a 98-99 version sensor, because like you said, it reads 270 degrees, I didn't realize that the red light would be on as well. I just hooked it up to the existing 95 sensor (I was too much in a hurry and excited to see it work). Before I buy a sensor (being the cheapo that I am, I think that I might try to make a conversion circuit for the existing sensor. I just need to find out what the high and low values for the 98-99 sensor are. I think too that I might need a conversion circuit for my speedometer. It has been even before I put the f4i gauge on due to the 520 chain conversion.

1995 CBR900RR
    1981 CB900F

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast