Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Default F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Well, it can definitely be done! Both Stealth (Scott) and myself are proof in the pudding.

Everything works with my new F4i gauges, including the speedo, high beam, oil light, neutral and temperature gauge. 93-97 900RR's have the analog temp gauge so the temp sender is different to the 98> bikes (and the F4i). Stealth adapted an F4i temp sender to his 93, but you can just as easily buy a 98-99 temp sender for about $30 and screw it in. This will work for all year 900RR's up to 97, as the sending unit has the same part # from 93-97.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_03...80&parent=5320

The part number for the 98-99 temp sender is: 37750-KV3-951

The install went really well, and I was able to bolt the gauges up to my existing gauge stay without having to make an adapter plate (but I am using the 98-99 gauge stay). I did screw a small piece of aluminium to one side to extend the mounting surface this allowed me to use two out of the three F4i dash mounts. Its solidly on there.

Also, as the F4i gauges run to 17K, directly on the gauge face, I used some 3M Tartan black electrical tape to black out the redline from 14-17K...so it 'visually' maxes out at 13K now. You can hardly see the tape - it looks good.

Gotta put the bike together now. I'll take some more pics once that's done. It's an awesome mod and very worthwhile...the tacho does a full sweep and the speedo counts down from from max speed to zero. Impressive. Oh, and the gauges are a nice amber color.

If anybody wants to do this mod, I have attached the wiring diagram. FYI, the 'FI' wire and the 'res sens' wire do not connect to anything....and you do need to connect the + red wire directly to the battery (to power the clock). All the remaining wires on the 900RR are the same color as the F4i, with the exception of the Ignition wire.... which on the F4i is Black/Brown, and on the 900RR it is plain brown.

Cheers,
    Sime

EDIT: - by jawhn - to add the rotated wiring diagram.
    Last edited by jawhn; September 8th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
    Always looking skyward, wishing I was up there!

Bikes:
    1994 CBR 900RR

Default Re: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Damn you Sime, Damn you!!!

I haven't even finished with the GSXR tail swap and now you show us this.

That looks soooo sweet.

My wife's gonna kill me!

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

Simon Simon Simon... You always seem to amaze me... Well this is deff something I am going to have to do, because lets face it, there is always the LED mod to turn your colors into anything you want.

Archer

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Sorry Don! I had already planned these gauges since last year. I bought the gauges in late October, but they were unfortunately sent via sea mail. I have some other bits I am fitting to my bike (just gotta find some time to do it)....including teardrop mirrors, carbon fiber hugger, and small front and rear turn signals. Oh, and a rear Galfer wave rotor to match my fronts.

I don't really know what's left to to to the bike now!! I've done just about all that there could be done to a 900RR. I could upgrade the suspension (Ohlins rear and racetech fork mods), maybe go for some trick OzRacing wheels. More money than I'd care to spend though.

Archer, I already thought about the led mods, but the amber looks sweet.

Cheers!
    Sime

Bikes:
    1994 CBR 900RR

Here's a thought as to what to do to your bike next...

Ride the crap out of it!

Or possibly put it under glass, it's so damn nice to look at.

Also the odometer woks with the F4i guages right?
    Last edited by DMACK; February 3rd, 2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Aiidition

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Quote Originally Posted by DMACK View Post
    Here's a thought as to what to do to your bike next...

Ride the crap out of it!

Or possibly put it under glass, it's so damn nice to look at.

Also the odometer woks with the F4i guages right?
    LOL! Yeah, I already ride the crap out of it! Gets ridden nearly every day.

I haven't taken the bike for a ride yet as the front fairing is still off the bike, but I did test the speedo and it works fine. If the speedo works, it's a given that the odometer will work too. It can display in km/h and mph.

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

That is slick. This will go on my "someday" project list. Main interest for me is the clock. It burns me not having a clock on the face. And noone seems to make a tiny LED or LCD clock that can be lit up for nighttime use... Right now I just have one of those small circular LCD clocks attached with velcro. Ghetto looking, really...

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Hey Simon, when you wired this in. Did you just wire the plug on the harness? I am curious to know. I think I am thinking about this way too hard. It seems simpler than that.

I am thinking that all you did was remove the wires from the plug, and move the wires around in the plug to better suit you??? Correct??? Now the FI wire not being connected, does this give you the FI light to come on at all???

Just some curiousness, cuz I am thinking about the 929 gauge cluster or the F4i or even maybe the 954. If all I need to do is change the wires around in the plug the limits are endless (almost).

Thanks.
    Chris
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Hey Chris,

The F4i harness plugs are different to what I had, so being unable to source those plugs, I cut off the 98-99 speedo plug and used some commercially available 8P and 4P plugs to wire everything in. I also soldered every connection. There are a total of 14 connections, so you could use a 12P plus a 2P, 2 x 8P's (& have two spaces blank). I used an 8P and two 4P's because I forgot that I could have used 2 x 8P's.....and then the shop was shut so I couldn't buy any more! But it worked out well in the end!

Oh, and the FI (led) light doesn't light up at all - thankfully! Also, the F4i has a fuel gauge and reserve light, and neither of these function either. Basically, the great news is that everything on these gauges functions in concert with what needs to work.....and nothing more. I tell you what, it's so nice to have a clock on the gauges!!

The 954 cluster won't work I believe. I hear that the gauges tie back into the computer, and the bike won't start unless the system is complete. I wanted to use the 1000RR gauges but didn't because of the same issue as the 954. The 929 gauges might work, but I know for sure that the F4i gauges do work!!

Cheers,
    Sime

Quote Originally Posted by speedextreme View Post
    Hey Simon, when you wired this in. Did you just wire the plug on the harness? I am curious to know. I think I am thinking about this way too hard. It seems simpler than that.

I am thinking that all you did was remove the wires from the plug, and move the wires around in the plug to better suit you??? Correct??? Now the FI wire not being connected, does this give you the FI light to come on at all???

Just some curiousness, cuz I am thinking about the 929 gauge cluster or the F4i or even maybe the 954. If all I need to do is change the wires around in the plug the limits are endless (almost).

Thanks.
    Chris

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Thanks. By the way, looks Sweet!!!!!

Oh and I was also wondering. The tach, is it correct? Also would the 900's tach face work in the F4I cluster? If yes, that would be cool cuz I have the white face and it says 900RR on it!!!
    Last edited by speedextreme; February 4th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Thanks Chris!!! I'm really happy with the way things turned out. Just have to calibrate my Digi gear indicator and affix it to the dash.

The tacho works perfectly, but sadly, you can't use the 900RR tach face. The F4i's goes to 17K, so the graduations are different. I am facing the same issue as I have a really nice illumiglow face that I can't use. I enquired about a custom face...USD$240. I'll stick with what I have!

As you can see, I did black out the 14-17K range, so the tacho looks more suited to the 900RR now.

Have uploaded some new pics, including my new teardrop mirrors and micro front turn signals (which are really bright!).

Cheers,
    Sime

Bikes:
    1994 CBR 900RR

I was totally going to do this, but then I remembered you said yours was a 98 CBR. Mine being a 94 still has the analog speedo with the cable to the front wheel. I think in 96 they went to the electronic speedo. So I pretty sure the F4i guages wont work on mine unless I did some major modification on where the speedo gets it's info from.

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Not hard to do at all. Easy peasy!

Just buy the speedo sender from the 95-97, sprocket cover, custom SpeedoHealer (USD$100) and run a speed signal wire to the dash wiring (you only need one wire). And you'll need the 98-99 temperature sender too. It's all bolt up.

Scott (Stealth) has already (just) done this exact mod to his 1993 model 900RR. I think all he is waiting on is his custom SpeedoHealer to arrive. If what I've given you above is unclear, PM him and he can give you all the info you need.

Then you are ready to rock and roll.

Bikes:
    98 and a 99 CBR 900 RR's

Hey Sim Do you have the Wiring for the F4I Gage cluster and the Wiring For the 98 RR Gauages to know what Wires need to go Where ?
    My Toys 98 900 RR Black/Grey/yellow and CF parts.. A new 99 900 RR Black/white/ with red wings
    1972- Strawberry Blonde/ Puerto Rican / Libra/ With more attitude than every bike on Road...

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Uh......yeah.

Did you look at the very first post in this thread?

It'a all right there my friend!

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

Would any year F4i cluster fit the 99 ? What did you do about the miles already on the cluster ?
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Bikes:
    98 and a 99 CBR 900 RR's

sorry my bad..... I was in a hurry I dont get online as much a I would like to. So I breeze through posts and since it was in black and white it didnt stand out.
    My Toys 98 900 RR Black/Grey/yellow and CF parts.. A new 99 900 RR Black/white/ with red wings
    1972- Strawberry Blonde/ Puerto Rican / Libra/ With more attitude than every bike on Road...

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    Would any year F4i cluster fit the 99 ? What did you do about the miles already on the cluster ?
    Yup...any year F4i cluster will fit the 99 900RR (think they came out from 01-04). And the beauty of it is that you won't need a Speedo Healer or to change your temp sender. Just rewire the 900RR wiring harness, or splice in the F4i plugs from an F4i harness to your 900RR harness.

Re the miles, it didn't worry me. I bought my bike with 22K miles on it, and these ones have 17K miles. My gauges weren't advertised with the miles so it was luck of the draw. But I only paid $50 for them! Other auctions do tell you the miles so you should be able to find some gauges close to, or lower than the current miles on your bike. And if you ever sell your bike, you could keep your 900RR gauges and refit them when the bike is advertised.

Cheers!

Bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R ABS

Quote Originally Posted by truman_carter View Post
    sorry my bad..... I was in a hurry I dont get online as much a I would like to. So I breeze through posts and since it was in black and white it didnt stand out.

No probs mate!

FYI, they don't make the wiring diagrams in color though!!

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

Quote Originally Posted by Sime View Post
    Yup...any year F4i cluster will fit the 99 900RR (think they came out from 01-04). And the beauty of it is that you won't need a Speedo Healer or to change your temp sender. Just rewire the 900RR wiring harness, or splice in the F4i plugs from an F4i harness to your 900RR harness.

Re the miles, it didn't worry me. I bought my bike with 22K miles on it, and these ones have 17K miles. My gauges weren't advertised with the miles so it was luck of the draw. But I only paid $50 for them! Other auctions do tell you the miles so you should be able to find some gauges close to, or lower than the current miles on your bike. And if you ever sell your bike, you could keep your 900RR gauges and refit them when the bike is advertised.

Cheers!
    I guess, due to your diagram posted above, rewiring is pretty easy ?
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast