Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Default F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Well, it can definitely be done! Both Stealth (Scott) and myself are proof in the pudding.

Everything works with my new F4i gauges, including the speedo, high beam, oil light, neutral and temperature gauge. 93-97 900RR's have the analog temp gauge so the temp sender is different to the 98> bikes (and the F4i). Stealth adapted an F4i temp sender to his 93, but you can just as easily buy a 98-99 temp sender for about $30 and screw it in. This will work for all year 900RR's up to 97, as the sending unit has the same part # from 93-97.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_03...80&parent=5320

The part number for the 98-99 temp sender is: 37750-KV3-951

The install went really well, and I was able to bolt the gauges up to my existing gauge stay without having to make an adapter plate (but I am using the 98-99 gauge stay). I did screw a small piece of aluminium to one side to extend the mounting surface this allowed me to use two out of the three F4i dash mounts. Its solidly on there.

Also, as the F4i gauges run to 17K, directly on the gauge face, I used some 3M Tartan black electrical tape to black out the redline from 14-17K...so it 'visually' maxes out at 13K now. You can hardly see the tape - it looks good.

Gotta put the bike together now. I'll take some more pics once that's done. It's an awesome mod and very worthwhile...the tacho does a full sweep and the speedo counts down from from max speed to zero. Impressive. Oh, and the gauges are a nice amber color.

If anybody wants to do this mod, I have attached the wiring diagram. FYI, the 'FI' wire and the 'res sens' wire do not connect to anything....and you do need to connect the + red wire directly to the battery (to power the clock). All the remaining wires on the 900RR are the same color as the F4i, with the exception of the Ignition wire.... which on the F4i is Black/Brown, and on the 900RR it is plain brown.

Cheers,
    Sime

EDIT: - by jawhn - to add the rotated wiring diagram.
    Last edited by jawhn; September 8th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Bikes:
    1994 CBR 900RR

Default Re: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Damn you Sime, Damn you!!!

I haven't even finished with the GSXR tail swap and now you show us this.

That looks soooo sweet.

My wife's gonna kill me!

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

Simon Simon Simon... You always seem to amaze me... Well this is deff something I am going to have to do, because lets face it, there is always the LED mod to turn your colors into anything you want.

Archer

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Sorry Don! I had already planned these gauges since last year. I bought the gauges in late October, but they were unfortunately sent via sea mail. I have some other bits I am fitting to my bike (just gotta find some time to do it)....including teardrop mirrors, carbon fiber hugger, and small front and rear turn signals. Oh, and a rear Galfer wave rotor to match my fronts.

I don't really know what's left to to to the bike now!! I've done just about all that there could be done to a 900RR. I could upgrade the suspension (Ohlins rear and racetech fork mods), maybe go for some trick OzRacing wheels. More money than I'd care to spend though.

Archer, I already thought about the led mods, but the amber looks sweet.

Cheers!
    Sime

Bikes:
    1994 CBR 900RR

Here's a thought as to what to do to your bike next...

Ride the crap out of it!

Or possibly put it under glass, it's so damn nice to look at.

Also the odometer woks with the F4i guages right?
    Last edited by DMACK; February 3rd, 2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Aiidition

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by DMACK View Post
    Here's a thought as to what to do to your bike next...

Ride the crap out of it!

Or possibly put it under glass, it's so damn nice to look at.

Also the odometer woks with the F4i guages right?
    LOL! Yeah, I already ride the crap out of it! Gets ridden nearly every day.

I haven't taken the bike for a ride yet as the front fairing is still off the bike, but I did test the speedo and it works fine. If the speedo works, it's a given that the odometer will work too. It can display in km/h and mph.

Bikes:
    99 900RR

Hey guys, concerning the tach face, give Alan with LEDgear a shout.

www.malicarr.legend.yorks.com/index.html

I had him make me some custom gauges for my FZR and they rock! He does custom backlighting too. Here are the clocks he made me.......

The backlighting is all LED. Give him a shout and see if he can make you the faceplate you want. Tell him Mad Hatter sent you.
    1987 Excite Bike ChampionHidden Content

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

What does he charge ? Is he a bit spendy or fair ?
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Bikes:
    99 900RR

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    What does he charge ? Is he a bit spendy or fair ?
    He is really fair I think. I paid $350 for the set above shipped. It would have been 1/2 that if I had some gauges to send him but I didn't have a core. Remember that includes it is all custom plus the entire gear indicator set up, LED backlighting, re-working the housing, custom faces. Contact him and tell him what you want, he'll give you a price. He is very good with keeping you up to trim on the progress of your piece too.
    1987 Excite Bike ChampionHidden Content

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Just found a local set of F4i gauges for $100. Is that good or bad? Guy claims they are only 1 year old, and he is unsure of mileage... But I would find out before buying...

Thanks in advance. Just need one or two "Damn that's a good deal" or "Way too much" to have an idea.

Bikes:
    95 CBR900RR

Quote Originally Posted by jawhn View Post
    Just found a local set of F4i gauges for $100. Is that good or bad? Guy claims they are only 1 year old, and he is unsure of mileage... But I would find out before buying...

Thanks in advance. Just need one or two "Damn that's a good deal" or "Way too much" to have an idea.
    Hey Jawhn,

I just bought a set for $100 myself...they arrived yestiddy! I am putting mine in right now! I got lucky too...they have 21K miles on the f4i and my bike is only off 151 miles! I just need to buy a 98-99 temp sender unit . I wanted EVERYTHING working today!
    Don't talk about it...BE about it!!

1995 CBR900RR
    1981 CB900F
    1981 KZ250LTD (Aww shut up...it's fun!)

Not been here that long cbrpete's Avatar

Bikes:
    96 919

Thumbs up Re: F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR!

Hi
    Just aquired some f4i clocks & ready to fit to my 96 919.I know about changing the temp sensor,but not sure about the Speedo healer.Is this a one off sensor & if so,does anyone have any part numbers or information about purchasing one.
    cheers
    pete

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by cbrpete View Post
    Hi
    Just aquired some f4i clocks & ready to fit to my 96 919.I know about changing the temp sensor,but not sure about the Speedo healer.Is this a one off sensor & if so,does anyone have any part numbers or information about purchasing one.
    cheers
    pete
    G'day Pete,

As your 96 919 gets its speedo pulse from the front sprocket and the 98-99 900RR's get it direct from the crankcase, you need a custom SpeedoHealer to provide a multiplied signal in order that the F4i clocks receive the correct signal. As it stands, if you hook the 96 speed sender to the F4i clocks without a SH, your speedo will read about 20mph when you are travelling at 80mph! You need to set the SH multiplier at about 380% (you need the custom SH b/c the standard one only covers +/- 100%.

From the SpeedoHealer site, you need to order the custom SH from the factory in Hungary: http://www.healtech-electronics.com/en/order.htm

The part you need is #SHv3.0C8. You need to contact SpeedoHealer prior to ordering, and you need to order it in the 'Honda I' configuration (which is plug and play).

Cheers,
    Simon

Not been here that long Fastdiablo's Avatar

Bikes:
    '99 RRX..(part RSV).. '02 R6 Track slag

Hi guys . . .

i'm new to the site, i was given this link from another forum http://firebladeriders.co.uk (feel free to come and visit) and after reading it several times decided to give it a go . . . .

sourced a set of clocks for 60 (not sure of dollar conversion, approx $130) and set about getting out the spanners . . .

I took the old clocks off and made a bracket to mount the new one on. . .

the hardest part was having the conviction to cut the old clock connector block off, the point of no return . . .

once that was done get the soldering iron out, tin up all the end and the solder it all together, rembering all 3 green wires go together, that done it was time to switch on the ignition for the first time . . .

how cool was that, the dash lit up like a christmas tree, the rev counter needle made its swoop while the speedo numbers whizzzzed down to zero

best of all it had a clock

old and new clocks with a template for the bracket

my bracket made

and all bolted up

big thanks to sime and the rest of you guys for the info and possible the best mod i've made
    Last edited by Fastdiablo; May 26th, 2007 at 03:20 AM.

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Quote Originally Posted by Fastdiablo View Post
    ... my bracket made

Too cool, nice job!

Hey, if you'd rather have 1/8" aluminum rather than, (Is that a pie tin?) I'll mail it to you if you pay for the postage. My company goes through scrap aluminum like crazy. Just an offer, if you're interested. Shoot me a PM with your mailing addy and we'll go from there.

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Awesome job! Glad you are happy with the change. What is the thing on the tacho near to the 17K mark? I don't have that on mine. Also, I put black 3M 'Tartan' electrical tape from 14K-17K. It looks a lot better...and more realistic.

Also, are they Aprilia forks on there? What are the specs, were they bolt up? Do tell!!!

Not been here that long Fastdiablo's Avatar

Bikes:
    '99 RRX..(part RSV).. '02 R6 Track slag

Quote Originally Posted by jawhn View Post
    Too cool, nice job!

Hey, if you'd rather have 1/8" aluminum rather than, (Is that a pie tin?) I'll mail it to you if you pay for the postage. My company goes through scrap aluminum like crazy. Just an offer, if you're interested. Shoot me a PM with your mailing addy and we'll go from there.
    thanks for the offer mate, Yes, that is a "pie tin" (LOL), great idea cos i had one kicking about but i did'nt actually use it in the end, it was just toooooo flopppy, so i ended up using 1/8 plate but didnt get a photo of it . . .

Sime, Yes, they are Aprilia forks and yokes with aprilia wheel and mudguard, ducati 996 SPS discs and calipers, ducati 916 master cylinder and LSL sport match clip ons, not forgetting the original blade ignition

the job is ish easy to do if your a dab hand with a lathe which im not, so i took the aprilia and blade yokes to a machine shop where they pushed out the yoke stems on both then measured them . . .

the idea is to get a yoke stem which fits the bottom aprilia yoke, is long enough to go through the stem tube and give enough room to get a bolt on the top and with the bearing seats in the correct place to be able to use the original blade bearings . . .

if you look closely at the top stem bolt you can see a machined ally spacer as the hole on the aprilia top yoke is is much bigger and you need to bush it out and get it all centered . . .

the final problem is getting the blade ignition to fit, its soooo close its not true, but doesnt line up properly . . . i made a "u" shaped bracket to space it out a little using shear bolts on the top side as they are exposed, and with a dremel made any adjustments to get it to sit right, i couldnt get the steering lock to line up but im sure its possible . . .

be aware if you do do this mod when sourcing clip ons, depending which forks you use get the correct diameter clip ons, i used std RSV forks and yokes which are 51 mm, RSR-R ohlins forks are a smaller size (48mm ?) so you need RSV clip ons and not RSV-R clip ons . . . Ducati 916 are the same size (51mm)and do fit, I tried these and they are great if your charging around everywhere but they are quite low and a bit short (not alot of leverage) so i went for the LSL sport match which are a bit higher and far more comfortable plus longer for better control . . . .

bolt it all together for a unique look and feel with upside down forks, Brembo brakes and a 17 inch wheel . . . JOBS A GOOD UN . . .

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

So I guess the tach output isnt the same as the 900RR's... well not atleast with the Dyna2000. which this freaking sucks because I alrady cut into my main harness.... Sime, Blade, anyone?

Archer

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

if anyone has any ideas on wiring and what not. please read the instructions on this damn thing... Its on page 6 with the tach adapter. if you go on the bottom of page, you'll see the white and green wire i am talking about. green has 1 pulse per revolution and yellow (I rewired with white) has 2 pulse per revolution...

http://http://www.dynaonline.com/eng...uct/DDK1-9.pdf

thanks
    Archer

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

alright, Im getting shitty...

the 1 plug with all the wires that are the same color are good. with the exception of the stand wire. the f4i is green with white stripe, and 900 is yellow with black stripe.

the other plug matches pink to pink, blue green to blue green, ignition wire from f4i is black with brown stripe, and 900 is all brown. I have the brown and white f4i wire with the 900 black wire with brown stripe to get illumination.

the tach adapter says black wire is ground. thats going into green wire with black stripe

red wire is 12v thats going to battery

brown wire is tach, thats going to the Yellow and green from the f4i wire

green is ignition. that actually goes to the yellow or green wire pending on pulse from the dyna

im pretty much at a loss... the gauges work, I just cant get my tach to function properly. my temp works, (N), oil, all works excluding the speedo, because the healer isnt on. well I dont have one yet...

Any suggestions?

Archer

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast