Thread: Any wire harness differences between 95 & 97

Bikes:
    98 600F3, 95 900RR, 05 R1

Default Any wire harness differences between 95 & 97

Ok due to my mysterious electrical short on my bike, I purchased a new (used) wire harness. I found one on stuntlife for a good price. It's from a 97 900RR. My bike is a 95 900RR. I know the 95 has the 893cc motor and the 97 has the 919cc motor. Other then that I don't think there is too much of a difference. Will the wire harness off the 97 work on my 95? Everything looks the same as far as I can tell. The only difference I can visually see is the fuse panel up front on the 97 harness uses the small blade fuses. The fuse panel on my 95 uses the larger blade style fuses. The panel is the same, just different size fuses. Same amps though. I just don't want to tear my 95 apart and put this new harness in and have it not work. Thanks in advance.

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

Default Re: Any wire harness differences between 95 & 97

Yes the wire harness will work. there is no difference in the harness. When you go towards a 98-99 harness, you will have to replace the guages. unless you just rewire things.

Ok, Things to check in your system.

Your Ignition Control Modual.

if you put the key in the bike, and turn it, you get no power what so ever, you most likely have a bad ignition switch. But you can not stop the test there.

take the clip off your ICM.
    check for battery Voltage. on the connector put the voltmeter + on the black/white wire
    put the - on the green. if you get no voltage, you have a faulty ignition switch or engine stop switch, open circuit in wire harness, or loose poor connections.

If you do get measured battery Voltage.
    measure the ignition pulse generator resistance at the ICM connector.
    + goes on Yellow, - goes on white/yellow. you should read 460-580
    if you dont check the ignition pulse gen. at hte connector, again you should read 460-580. if you dont you have a faulty ignition pulse gen. if you do, then you have an open curcuit in yellow wire, open curcuit in white/yellow wire, loose or poor connections

if it all checks out at the ICM and everything is OK.
    you can check the neutral switch. regardless your bike will still turn on at the ignition switch, you can always check. At the ICM conn. + on light green - on ground. 'normally black'
    continuity in neutral, no cont. in any gear except neutral. if its abnormal then go to the connector up on the right side of the upper frame, you'll see a clip with 2 wires entering it. + light green, - ground. if that doesnt read, you havfe a faulty neutral switch. still, should not be the cause of the bike not getting power.

Side stand switch has nothing to do with power to the bike, but to check the ICM, you need to.
    at the ICM conn. with the side stand up: + on Green/white - on Green, you should read continuity.
    with the side stand down: + yellow black/ - green, you should read continuity.
    if you read something at every terminal on the connector, your Ignition Control Modual is bad, which will prevent power from getting anywhere. but if you are getting power to everything else, but you are not at the ignition switch. you will need to replace the ignition switch. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Archer

Bikes:

Outstanding. Excellent info. Thank you. I'll be printing that out and taking it home with me tonight. Hopefully by monday i'll let you know I have a running bike again

RRzone Elder

Bikes:
    cbr900rr '94,cbr900rr '97 streetfighter,cbr900rr '99 racing,cbr900rr '98 stuntbike,cbr dragbike

Cool Re: Any wire harness differences between 95 & 97

hey guys,just to let you know,the 94/95 and 96/97 harness are not the same!the96-99models have a throttle position sensor wich works together with the cdi(but the 96-99 use still not the same harness,the98-99 have an electronic speedo sensor wich picks up the signal from the gear,the94-97 pick up the signal at the front sprocket,unlike the 92/93 wich take the signal from the frontwheel,but thats another story!further the 96-99 use the small fuses!actually its easy:honda modified the fireblade constantly every two years
    (92/93,94/95,96/97,98/99,00/01,02/03,04/......)i could list every change they made during the years but i guess it would take too long!but some (few) parts will still fit between the different years!a lot of parts look the same but will still not fit!feel free to ask me further questions!did you get your bike running yet??i
    hope so!to me it sounds like you have either a bad ignition switch or a bad wiring harness!like you said either your bike worked well or it work at all,including any lights or electronic components.so dont waste time on checking all the components on your bike cause if something is wrong with the neutral switch or whatever the rest of the electronic will still work (oil pressure light,blinker,headlight...)if nothing works at all there is like i said a bad ignition switch or a bad wiring harness with a broken cable or a bad connection!turn the ignition switch on (make sure the battery is allright!)
    and begin at the starter motor relay.all you have to do is to move and bent the wiring harness every inch or less (in every direction) all the way to the front (ignition switch)(you will have to take at least the tank off the bike) and keep on looking at the gauges.if there is the neutral or oil pressure light that lights up suddenly,you know that you have a bad harness!and you even know where the cable is broken!also check all the connections for proper tight fit and corrosion!and check the ignition switch with a multimeter.first if there is power coming up to the switch (when turned off)and if power is coming out when turned on!allright i hope that this is a little help!
    fabian
    Last edited by no-mercy racing; December 27th, 2004 at 03:02 PM.

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

94 picks up from the from the front tire. 95-97 piced up from the front sprocket. the only difference with the 98-99 are the fuses are smaller, no big deal, and the guage connectors are differenct. 97 gets there speed from the same location as the 95... Im not too sure about where the 98-99 gets theres from, i'd imagine the same place, I will go look at a buddy's 98 900, but I believe it is the same, unless your stating my book is false.. Also, I have a 95, dont tell anyone, but my harness is from a 96. shhhh

Archer
    Last edited by Archer 900RR; December 28th, 2004 at 04:55 AM.

Bikes:
    2007 600RR, 2003 RC 51, 2007 CRF450R

98 and 99 speed sensor is on top of the tranny. Just my cent and a half.

RRzone Elder

Bikes:
    cbr900rr '94,cbr900rr '97 streetfighter,cbr900rr '99 racing,cbr900rr '98 stuntbike,cbr dragbike

hey archer,the 94 blades do not pick it from the front wheel only the 92/93 do, for sure (unless we have different blades in switzerland,but i dont think so)!!!the 94-97 pick it from the front sprocket and the 98/99 pick it from the transmission!!and like i said,only the 96-99 models have a throttle position sensor!!the harness could still work though!!never tried it!

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

no man, I am telling you, The 94 does not come from the sprocket. My book clearly shows it coming off the front wheel. it says 93-94.. then 95+ motors..

Its hard to believe they are different, but it could be the case, I dont know. But my book clearly states that 95+ has a speed sensor on the sprocket. and hte 94- is not on the sprocket, and it comes from a speed cable. which is also shown on the gauges... Speed cable for 93-94... Unless my books are wrong, or the bikes really are that different.

Archer

Bikes:

It is very much a possibality they are different overseas. Remember these are japanese bikes. They release different model years at different times. For example: The US gets 2005 model bikes. Over seas, they might get the 05 as an 06 or even an 04. Or they might get an 05 with leftover 04 parts. Honda is famous for doing that.

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

you might be right,i dont doubt that ,but i know in switzerland ONLY the 92/93 models pick it up from the frontwheel (i know it 200% sure!!!) (thats oldschool anyways)and the 94-97 pick it from the front drive sprocket (in switzerland of course;-))!that would mean that we get the new models earlier in switzerland
    btw:do you have a real honda manual or some other manual??cause i dont really trust these manuals as long as they are not from honda!(honda made a different
    manual for every year and they still send updates for the (older) manuals)

Banned

Bikes:
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR

I actually went to Honda and got the service manual for my bike. It has 3 years of 900RRs in the book. 93-95. Think it cost me about $65 for the book, I have 4 other service manuals for the bike, and the honda is by far the one I use the most. I have to refer to the other manuals from time to time to make sure the info is right, because some people do things different.

I tried to look up the different models of 94 motors, there are some that were made later when they converted to the front drive sprocket and put a speed sensor there. so you are right, but the 900s here in the states from 95+ had the Spd Sensor at the sprocket, and the 94 was front wheel. So it does make since that oversea bikes may be a diff year than what they really are. like our 95 was your 94. and so on. But it does make since, and for the record, my bike was manufactured here in the states. like most sportbikes are today. I think the jap bikes are made in japan, however, I feel those are for over sea areas. and america manufactures the bikes for this area of the world.

So everyone is right.

Archer

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

yeeah,i can live with that (im sorry,i didnt mean to say you are not right or something ,but i only make comments here when im 100% sure that what im saying is true but due to the different models here and there i wasnt right ,so im sorry about that .
    Last edited by no-mercy racing; December 29th, 2004 at 06:26 PM.

Not been here that long

I know its years later but Iím looking for a wiring harness that would fit my 1994 Honda CBR900RR, other than the 94í because I literally canít find one anywhere.

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR, '88 Hawk GT track bike (both back in Canada) 2007 V-Strom 1000 in Dubai

Have you considered replacing it, wire by wire, until you've built yourself a brand new one? Then wrap it in harness tape.

Not been here that long

I would but I donít even know where to start looking for the wires because when Iíve tried searching for just the wiring harness, only wiring for the 98-99 pop up and from what I read, that doesnít work on it.