Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

Just wanted to add a few notes..

Plan on buying and installing new wheel bearings and seals into the used wheel you buy. Also inspect the lip area of where the tire mounts , check it for slight bends. Inspect the rotor bolt threaded holes to make sure they don't have stripped threads.

I bought a used F3 wheel off ebay and it had a slight bend in the lip, and the rotor bolt holes all need to be helicoiled. My guess is the process used to chrome the wheel fubar'd the threads .. the acid in the water ate the threads up; and of course the person selling the wheel neglected to mention all this.
    Owner of Vision Superbikes Carbon Fiber.
    Hidden Content

Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

Quote Originally Posted by VSB_Fast View Post
    Just wanted to add a few notes..

Plan on buying and installing new wheel bearings and seals into the used wheel you buy. Also inspect the lip area of where the tire mounts , check it for slight bends. Inspect the rotor bolt threaded holes to make sure they don't have stripped threads.

I bought a used F3 wheel off ebay and it had a slight bend in the lip, and the rotor bolt holes all need to be helicoiled. My guess is the process used to chrome the wheel fubar'd the threads .. the acid in the water ate the threads up; and of course the person selling the wheel neglected to mention all this.
    Actually, since I had a road hazard incident (see my thread here: http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5654), my insurance company is paying for 2 brand spanking new wheels, which come with the bearing kits.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Bikes:

Does anyone know how to look up wheel types? The 97 CBR600F3 has 2 wheel types, type1 and type2, which I assume to mean different paint.

I need a black front rim to match my stock black 900RR rear rim.
    Hidden Content

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post
    Does anyone know how to look up wheel types? The 97 CBR600F3 has 2 wheel types, type1 and type2, which I assume to mean different paint.

I need a black front rim to match my stock black 900RR rear rim.
    Yup, I beleive you are right. Your parts counter guy at the Honda shop should be smart enough to know the difference since it is in the Microfische.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:

For anyone interested, the black rim for a 97-98 is 44650-MAL-G00ZC. This is the type1 rim.

The type2 rim (last letter is D, rather than C) is another color for those years.
    Hidden Content

If you use an f3 wheel on a 98-99 900 get front brake rotors from a 97-98 1100xx - they are a direct bolt up to the wheel and the same diameter as the 900 rotors - no modifications or shimming of the calipers needed, this what I have on my 98. The later 1100xx, f4, and vtr wheels all have the same bolt pattern for the brake rotors as the 900 but may need some work to get the rotors centered in the calipers.

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Quote Originally Posted by firrblade View Post
    If you use an f3 wheel on a 98-99 900 get front brake rotors from a 97-98 1100xx - they are a direct bolt up to the wheel and the same diameter as the 900 rotors - no modifications or shimming of the calipers needed, this what I have on my 98. The later 1100xx, f4, and vtr wheels all have the same bolt pattern for the brake rotors as the 900 but may need some work to get the rotors centered in the calipers.
    Yes but the 1100xx is the same size as the older 900's in rotors. This has been proven. The 98-99 900's have 310mm rotors as ALL other Hondas of those years had 300mm rotors.(I think on the 300 size, but I know the 98-99 900's had the biggest rotor diameter in those two years! And they were 310) That might not be a big deal to some, but 5mm of no contacting brakable surface is sure big enough for me!!!
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Ok, now I'm confused. Firrblade said it's a direct bolt on, but Chris is saying the rotor won't line up? Firrblade said they were the same diameter...

He said he did it, Chris...?

I was thinking we should award firrblade something for discovering that, but...?

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by jawhn View Post
    Ok, now I'm confused. Firrblade said it's a direct bolt on, but Chris is saying the rotor won't line up? Firrblade said they were the same diameter...

I was thinking we should award firrblade something for discovering that, but...?
    All I can say is that I hope the "new" wave rotors I just got better fit onto the new F3 rim that I'm putting on the 900RR.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by speedextreme View Post
    Yes but the 1100xx is the same size as the older 900's in rotors. This has been proven. The 98-99 900's have 310mm rotors as ALL other Hondas of those years had 300mm rotors.(I think on the 300 size, but I know the 98-99 900's had the biggest rotor diameter in those two years! And they were 310) That might not be a big deal to some, but 5mm of no contacting brakable surface is sure big enough for me!!!
    Wow - you really should make sure you know what you talking about before you post. The rotors are exactly the same diameter - 310mm. There is no way I would mount the wrong size rotors on a race bike. Feel free to check the 1100xx specs here:

http://www.cbrextreme.com/index.php?pid=10&id=88

Quote Originally Posted by jawhn View Post

yes I did this - can send some pics later when I get home. they are a direct bolt up fit

Bikes:

Ok, then I'm giving you some sort of visual discovery award... (Take it easy on Speed, he's probably just making sure that you dotted your T's and crossed your I's. )

Here we go. The fabled Initech award... For funny, not making fun of your discovery, the no-talent part is just Office Space funny...

And I believed ya... Just startled me when Chris mentioned them possibly being a different size.

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Quote Originally Posted by firrblade View Post
    Wow - you really should make sure you know what you talking about before you post. The rotors are exactly the same diameter - 310mm. There is no way I would mount the wrong size rotors on a race bike. Feel free to check the 1100xx specs here:

http://www.cbrextreme.com/index.php?pid=10&id=88
    Uhm yah, I have done my friggin homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are going to take the word of a website who can't even get the 1999 CBR900RR correct for fact!!!!

Check it, it says that the 1998 and 1999 have a 918cc motor, 296mm front rotors and a 530 final drive chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take that and smoke it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cbrextreme.com/index.php?pid=10&id=74

So you are going to believe this website and say that the 1999 CBR900RR rotors are the same as the 1100XX rotors????? When this website says different!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I will honestly say that there was a website out there that had stated the front rotors of the 1998 and 1999 were actually 320mm's That is why the only Honda's that ever had bigger were the 929 and 954 with 330!!!!! Did I beleive them for a while, yes, do I still beleive them, not really, but hey 10mm's isn't that big a deal right!!???

And take this into effect, 5mm do you know what 5mm is??? Me typing and you seeing (5mm)----------that is bigger than 5mm's!!!! YOU WON'T NOTICE A 5MM DIFFERENCE BY THE NAKED EYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn I wish I still had my stock rotors and I would get a pic of the 954's with the 900's together face to face just for a comparison with a micrometer!!!!!!!!!

Bikes:

Uh oh.

Afraid this would happen...

Wow. And without Gixer, too...

Bikes:

You two take it outside.
    Hidden Content

Ok speed I am typing slow just for you so try to keep up, ok? Yes it is possible that one web site got it wrong so here are a few more that all say the same thing

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...rBlackbird.htm
    http://www.hondabikes.net/honda-cbr1100xx.html
    http://www.motorsports-network.com/honda/cbr1100.htm
    http://www.superblackbird.com/tech_specs.cfm

Do you really think they all got it wrong?
    And just in case you do:

The first pic is the 1100xx rotor on my 98 900rr, look close and you can see the brake pad lines up perfectly with the swept area of the rotor.

The second one is the 1100xx rotor on the f3 wheel - note the black center on the rotor

The third is an 98 f3 rotor(298mm not 300mm just for the record) on the 1100xx rotor - the size difference is obvious

And the last one is a rotor off my 99 sitting on the 1100xx rotor - as you can see they ARE the same size

Not been here that long

geez, wish i saw this thread before I purchased an entire 1000rr front end... but at least i will have usd forks and radial brakes along with a rc51 wheel i will mount

i did my research and have concluded:
    98-99 forks are different and spaced further apart than other year 900rr's
    pre 98 rotors are 296mm, whereas 98-99 are 310mm
    calipers from pre 98 are different than 98-99 calipers

anyways, did not know the blackbird rotors can be put on the f2/f3/vfr750 front wheels for a direct bolt on to the 98/99! wish i had gone that cheaper route, but it's kind of late now

Bikes:

Yeah, there is a shitload of useful info already on this site... Rotor sizes, mods others have done (and how to do them!) We're all guilty of bringing something up that's been covered to death in the past.

On the super-positive side however, the 1000RR front end is a HELL of an upgrade!!! Light-years ahead of what most of us have for front suspension... Although, from 1992, the Fireblade has had top-end suspension compared to same-year other literbikes...

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    CBR900RR RC51 CBR1000RR

? For FirrBlade! Do You know if the Rotors for later model CBR1100XXs will fit the 17in. Conversion on the F3 wheel? Galfer,EBC,Braking & Alth only make after market rotors for the 2000 & up models for the CBR1100XX! Do you know who makes them for the 98/99 CBR1100xx???

As far as I know it is just the older ones that fit the f3 wheel - Im guessing the newer 1100s use the same wheel as the VTRs which uses the same rotors as the 900rrs. I have always just got the rotors off e-bay - just look for the ones that have the black center section.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast