Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

  1. #1
    Not been here that long
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    Default 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    i know this has been discussed to death but i just want to make sure i've got it right before i spend a lot of money on a 600 rim. i believe i've seen that my best bet for a 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front rim is any year CBR600F4i (not F4 because of the different rotors) rim with some machining and custom spacers. is this correct? any advice you kind folk can offer would help. i'm desperate to get some new rubber on my bike. thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    RRzone Elder Calkidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Clovis, Ca
    Posts
    2,900

    Bikes:
    '01 CBR 929...Bumble Bee style

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Try a search.....you might be able to find what others have said.
    CalKidd
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar" - Mark Twain

  3. #3
    RRzone Elder
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    switzerland (basel)
    Posts
    406

    Bikes:
    cbr900rr '94,cbr900rr '97 streetfighter,cbr900rr '99 racing,cbr900rr '98 stuntbike,cbr dragbike

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    that is what everybody sais but im not 100% sure if they fit (with the modifications).i have 17" frontwheels on all blades and i used marvic magnesium wheels wich weight much less.and i also used vfr800 frontwheels on a few blades,wich WILL fit for sure (only 98/99 models cause of the rotor mounts)!but they still require machining work and new spacers (wich i made out of aluminum to save weight,and they work great).however,the cbr600 wheels should also fit,since this is the wheel that everybody is talking about.if they use the same bearing and the same rotor mount as the stock blade,it will work (machining required).

  4. #4
    Not been here that long
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    21

    Bikes:
    '99 CBR900RR

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    I just saw an '04 Blackbird in the parking lot at work and the front forks and wheel on it look very similar to my '99 blade except that it's a 17" wheel....
    I wonder if anyone knows or has the resources to check if that would be a straight swap?

  5. #5
    Not been here that long
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    East Gosford
    Posts
    4

    Bikes:
    CBR900RRS

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Hi,
    I have a standard 16" rim (1995) and a 17" from a CBR600F4 (unknown year), the rotors are a straight swap, no mods, no spacers, no problem.

  6. #6
    Not been here that long
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    .Hi, let's see if this will help. I have a 94 blade which I have converted into a 17". I did this 2 weeks ago after months of trying to find out exactly what you're after.Basically what they say is any wheel of a cbr 600 after 96 will fit, with the spindle and spacers off the 600 also. I was also told you can use Blackbird or Firestorm wheels with some mods. So, after all that, I can tell you I bought a 97 VFR 750 wheel and it fits straight on . No spacers, no different spindle, nothing. Straight in !!. Right, although that sounds like thats you're answer I have to tell you that the bike has not been road tested yet as I am still in the middle of a Steetfighter conversion but I dont forsee ( gulp!! ) any problems. If you ring you're nearest breakers they sometimes do a conversion package with all the bits for about 200. Hope I helped, please e-mail me if you think I can help you further.

  7. #7
    Mr_Head
    Guest

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    What I do know;
    for 1996 -97 Fireblade, CBR900RR the front wheel from an F3 same years is a direct swap. Just the wheel. Not the spacers, or the rotors. Just the wheel with the bearings.

    Another thing I noticed is that Triumph used the same showa frontend as the one on my 1997 CBR900RR. They have 17" wheels. Of course the spoke pattern doesn't match and I do not know if the axel diameter is the same, or different. They may have different internals, another thing is the Triumph fender looks better then the big boat thing that is OEM for the 900RR, and it attaches more like a male slider fork. And a CF part is available.

    If I were looking for a front wheel, I'd go find a matching patern Honda 17 front and just have the spacers made to fit. I piece of stainless turned to the proper lengths will do the trick. Any good shop could affect the work.

  8. #8
    RRzone Elite chrisOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    I am getting ready to put a set of CZ rims on my 98 blade, and it is 17 in front

    CZ claims it is a direct bolt up all that is needed is raise rear 10mm and drop front 5mm to compensate the extra 1/2 in diameter.


    I will post what I find when I do the swap next week.

  9. #9
    RRzone Elder Blademan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Warren, Vermont
    Posts
    2,216

    Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    What did those run ya???
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

  10. #10
    RRzone Elite chrisOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    $1200 for the set.

    Actually use a ZX 7r sprocket on the rear.

    http://www.engineeredracingproducts.com/

  11. #11
    RRzone Elder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,373

    Bikes:
    .

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    ChrisOH, I have a 98 F3 wheel that I successfully bolted right onto my 1995 900RR. I used the 900RR spacers and axle. Haven't put the tire on yet, but all bolted up perfectly.

    How are you supposed to raise the rear of the bike and lower the front? Does this need to be done with every 17" front wheel, and what will happen to the handling if this is not done?

    Also, what front tire size are you going to use? The F3 ran a 120/60-17, but on a 900RR it looks too short, with a big gap under the fender. The 120/70-17 looks much better on there.

    Thanks!

  12. #12
    RRzone Elite chrisOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Quote Originally Posted by Sime
    ChrisOH, I have a 98 F3 wheel that I successfully bolted right onto my 1995 900RR. I used the 900RR spacers and axle. Haven't put the tire on yet, but all bolted up perfectly.

    How are you supposed to raise the rear of the bike and lower the front? Does this need to be done with every 17" front wheel, and what will happen to the handling if this is not done?

    Also, what front tire size are you going to use? The F3 ran a 120/60-17, but on a 900RR it looks too short, with a big gap under the fender. The 120/70-17 looks much better on there.

    Thanks!

    To raise the rear you could have the lower triangel shock brackets re-made to raise the rear. Or you could just buy an Penske rear shock that has adjustable ride height. ( I bought a Penskie rear shock).

    Yeah if you put a 17 in on the front you either have to drop the front end 1/2 inch or raise the rear a bit and drop the front. The 10mm and 5mm front are suggestions from the rim MFG.

    I believe I have a 70 series. As this tire looks very tall and very narrow profile.

  13. #13
    RRzone Elder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,373

    Bikes:
    .

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Thanks for the info. I guess a lowering bracket might work on the front then? My friend used to have one on his R1 for when he went to the dragstrip.

    Might I ask how much the Penske adjustable shock was and where you bought it from?

    Does the 120/70 look 'correct' on the bike? I realize that this is the standard size tire for the 954.

    Cheers,

  14. #14
    Not been here that long
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    alvarado, texas
    Posts
    22

    Bikes:
    98 900RR, 95 900RR

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    to put a 17 in wheel on a 98-99 RR you use a F4 wheel, not a F4I!!!!! cut .100 off each side of the wheel where the rotor bolts. make new spacers .100 wider on the right and.090 wider on the left. the rear tire will slip right in.

  15. #15
    RRzone Member DEREKFUMI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    BOONE, NC
    Posts
    60

    Bikes:
    98 CBR900RR, SOLD 93 900RR (MY 1ST 900RR AND MISS IT SO!!)

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    I Used A F3 Wheel On My 98 900rr. I Had To Make Spacers For The Axle And Shim The Calipers. It Was A Pain But Man What A Difference It Makes In Handling. I Love It!
    KEEP IT LEAN'N AND KEEP IT STEAM'N !!!

  16. #16
    RRzone Elder The Snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Blackstone, MA, USA
    Posts
    615

    Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

    Exclamation Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Quote Originally Posted by Sime View Post
    ChrisOH, I have a 98 F3 wheel that I successfully bolted right onto my 1995 900RR. I used the 900RR spacers and axle. Haven't put the tire on yet, but all bolted up perfectly.

    How are you supposed to raise the rear of the bike and lower the front? Does this need to be done with every 17" front wheel, and what will happen to the handling if this is not done?

    Also, what front tire size are you going to use? The F3 ran a 120/60-17, but on a 900RR it looks too short, with a big gap under the fender. The 120/70-17 looks much better on there.

    Thanks!
    I figured I'd tack onto this thread, rather than start a new one and get all the regulars in an uproar...

    My 900RR came stock with a 130/60ZR16 (as it should) and since I now have insurance $$$ from my mishap, I can do the 17" conversion.

    Why does everyone go with a 120mm wide tire for the conversion? Wouldn't it make more sense to go with the same width that the 900RR came with?

    Has anyone tried mounting a 130/60ZR17 to the F3 rim? It actually might raise the front up a little higher than the 120/60ZR17, since the sidewall on the 120 is 72mm, theoretically, and the sidewall on a 130 is 78mm, theoretically. (for those who don't know, the 2nd number [60 in this case] is the percentage of the width of the tire, in millimeters [the first number, 120 or 130 in these cases] this is the height of the sidewall, in millimeters.)

    I'd like to know the ideal tire size to go with for the 17" conversion, since this topic hasn't been discussed ad nauseum, like the actual rim conversion has.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  17. #17
    RRzone Elder The Snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Blackstone, MA, USA
    Posts
    615

    Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post
    I figured I'd tack onto this thread, rather than start a new one and get all the regulars in an uproar...

    My 900RR came stock with a 130/60ZR16 (as it should) and since I now have insurance $$$ from my mishap, I can do the 17" conversion.

    Why does everyone go with a 120mm wide tire for the conversion? Wouldn't it make more sense to go with the same width that the 900RR came with?

    Has anyone tried mounting a 130/60ZR17 to the F3 rim? It actually might raise the front up a little higher than the 120/60ZR17, since the sidewall on the 120 is 72mm, theoretically, and the sidewall on a 130 is 78mm, theoretically. (for those who don't know, the 2nd number [60 in this case] is the percentage of the width of the tire, in millimeters [the first number, 120 or 130 in these cases] this is the height of the sidewall, in millimeters.)

    I'd like to know the ideal tire size to go with for the 17" conversion, since this topic hasn't been discussed ad nauseum, like the actual rim conversion has.
    Further support for the 130/60ZR17 tire:

    • A 17" rim adds 12.7mm more radius than a 16" rim has.
    • A 130/70ZR16 stock tire has a sidewall height of 91mm
    • A 130/60ZR17 tire has a sidewall height of 78mm, this is 13mm shorter than the stock tire and almost exactly offsets the difference in radius of the 2 rim sizes.


    This should negate having to drop the forks in the triples. The big question is, is the 130mm width tire too wide for the F3 wheel? or, would the wider tire on he F3 rim change the contact area of the tire and possibly raise the center of the tire a little higher?
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  18. #18
    RRzone Elder The Snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Blackstone, MA, USA
    Posts
    615

    Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post
    Further support for the 130/60ZR17 tire:

    • A 17" rim adds 12.7mm more radius than a 16" rim has.
    • A 130/70ZR16 stock tire has a sidewall height of 91mm
    • A 130/60ZR17 tire has a sidewall height of 78mm, this is 13mm shorter than the stock tire and almost exactly offsets the difference in radius of the 2 rim sizes.


    This should negate having to drop the forks in the triples. The big question is, is the 130mm width tire too wide for the F3 wheel? or, would the wider tire on he F3 rim change the contact area of the tire and possibly raise the center of the tire a little higher?
    OK, after much thought, I am with everyone else here and am going with the 120/70ZR17, since it is on all of the bikes with the 17" rim since the 929RR and seems to be the most popular front tire.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  19. #19
    RRzone Butthead speedextreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    yuma, az
    Posts
    2,853

    Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post
    • A 17" rim adds 12.7mm more radius than a 16" rim has.
    • A 130/70ZR16 stock tire has a sidewall height of 91mm
    • A 130/60ZR17 tire has a sidewall height of 78mm, this is 13mm shorter than the stock tire and almost exactly offsets the difference in radius of the 2 rim sizes.


    This should negate having to drop the forks in the triples. The big question is, is the 130mm width tire too wide for the F3 wheel? or, would the wider tire on he F3 rim change the contact area of the tire and possibly raise the center of the tire a little higher?
    But what you are forgetting is this. Take the numbers and do the math. A 130/60/16 is 130mm wide, 60% of that width is sidewall height on a 16" rim.

    If you take a 130/70/17 it is still 130mm wide, but now 70% of that width is sidewall height on a 17" rim. SO, you will be putting a WAY taller tire on. Because you've added 1" of rim, plus 10% more in sidewall height. Now take the 120/70/17. It is 120mm wide, and 70% of the width is sidewall hieght on a 17" rim. Now if you do the math, on adding 1" of rim, you are actually putting a sidewall hieght that is now "smaller" than the tire on the 16" rim.

    Just wanted to let you guys know.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

  20. #20
    RRzone Elder The Snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Blackstone, MA, USA
    Posts
    615

    Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

    Default Re: 1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again

    Quote Originally Posted by speedextreme View Post
    But what you are forgetting is this. Take the numbers and do the math. A 130/60/16 is 130mm wide, 60% of that width is sidewall height on a 16" rim.

    If you take a 130/70/17 it is still 130mm wide, but now 70% of that width is sidewall height on a 17" rim. SO, you will be putting a WAY taller tire on. Because you've added 1" of rim, plus 10% more in sidewall height. Now take the 120/70/17. It is 120mm wide, and 70% of the width is sidewall hieght on a 17" rim. Now if you do the math, on adding 1" of rim, you are actually putting a sidewall hieght that is now "smaller" than the tire on the 16" rim.

    Just wanted to let you guys know.
    Good stuff. i figured since this wasn;t covered in detail in other 17" conversion threads that people might want to know the reasoning for the 120/70/17 tire choice. I see now that is also the popular size on all CBR liter bikes since 2000, so it's also the logical choice in that sense.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

You can help to support this site by making a donation below
(even a small donation makes a big difference)
 
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!