Thread: Caliper - How To Rebuild

Secret Squirrel Member bikerdave's Avatar

Bikes:
    1998 CBR900RR

Default Caliper - How To Rebuild

Ok, gang, How about a how to on rebuilding brake calipers?

I'm wondering if we could get a write up and pictures.

It would really be appreciated by this mechanically challenged

member of the zone!!!!
    Those who dance are considered crazy by those who
    can not hear the music!

Bikes:
    sold 93 900 DOUBLE R (sniff,sniff)

Default Re: Caliper - How To Rebuild

I wish I could help,but I have never done it! I just got on here and asked if anybody had 1 and bought for 10 bucks shipped.I don't think I could have rebuilt mine for that!! It would be nice to have a write up for information purposes though!!!
    You can out drink me at the bar,maybe even out race my car,but aint no mutherfuckin way your outrunnin my double r

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Well I don't have any pics, but I have done two sets. The silver 99's and the gold 954's.

They are actually very easy. The first thing you need to do is go to the Honda shop and get ALL seals for the calipers. Now all I mean that there are four large O rings that are for the pistons, two of which are just smaller in diameter. Then there is one small O ring between the two halfs of the caliper. If memory serves me right that is all that is included/needed for the caliper rebuild. Now some other stuff you might want also.

Good can of brake cleaner, wire tooth brush, a green scotchbrite pad of some type, and a bundle of pipe cleaners......you know those things we used to play with as kids the fuzzy wire things, ya those....

Now, with the calipers STILL ON THE BIKE!!!! Use a bucket and put the calipers hanging from the lines inside the bucket. Then with no brake pads in the caliper, squeeze the lever to allow the fluid to "push" the pistons out. Once they get to a certain "outness" one will pop out and leave the others. Once this happens you should be able to use a set of needle nose pliers with a rag and pull the pistons out of the caliper.

Then disconnect the calipers from the lines, spraying them with brake cleaner in the bucket before putting them on an old cookie sheet.

Take the calipers, new o-rings and rags to the area you want to do the tear apart. Tools required is just one metric allen key that I can't remember the size of right now. Once you start the rebuild there are only two bolts that hold the caliper halfs together. DO NOT REBUILD BOTH AT THE EXACT SAME TIME!!! Do one caliper and complete it, then do the other. Just to be sure you aren't goofing up the parts between the two. The two half's are a machined set!!!

Now the cleaning, after the halfs have been split, pull all the O rings out of each have. Clean the inside of the piston housings, the pistons themselves, and use the pipe cleaners on the housing fluid routing tubes, (the area where the small little o ring was.)

Once cleaned and dry, and you are happy with the results you put it back together. This is where the new brake fluid comes into play. Open up two large Orings, two larger Orings, and the one small Oring. As you can see there is a larger piston than the other on each side. Take the larger Oring put a light cote of brake fluid on the Oring, just enough to cover the entire surface of the Oring. Put the Orings inside the piston cup, then put the pistons back in. NOW I am saying this in caps and in red just to remind you all PUT THE PISTONS BACK IN WITH THE BACK TOWARDS THE "OUTSIDE" OF THE CALIPER. WHEN YOU SEE THE CALIPER WITH THE PISTON IN IT YOU SHOULD SEE A "HOLE". IF YOU PUT THE PISTON BACK IN WITH THE BACK FACING THE PAD, YOU WILL HAVE A VERY LARGE MESS ON YOUR HANDS!!!! I have done this and that is why I did it this way, learn from my mistakes please!!!

O.K. now that the pistons and new Orings are back in the halfs, take the small Oring and put a light cote of brake fluid on it. Sandwich it between the two halfs and put the caliper back together making sure that Oring stays put!!! Once that is done, you are done with that caliper. Put back on bike and bleed brakes properly!!!

Now do the other side, and you are complete. You can do the rear caliper in the same way, just different Orings.

To recap. You will need for front calipers...Four Large Orings, Four Larger Orings, two small Orings, can of brake clean, wire brush, scotchbrite pad, pipe cleaners, and some time!

Hope this helps.

Laters
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:
    1998 CBR900RR

Thanks, Chris.

I should be able to fumble my way thru it with that.

I really appreciate it!

The "Zone" does it again!
    can not hear the music!

Bikes:
    XX conversion is complete and kicking Busa butt

that was well written! I've done several sets and it would have taken me all day to sit down and write that out..great job! My first time I used compressed air to get the pistons out..NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! it cost me a trip to the ER so they could sew the rest of my finger back onto my hand

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

+1 Awesome job, Chris. Should this be made a sticky, maybe?

Bikes:
    2005 cbr 600rr

Quote Originally Posted by jawhn View Post
    +1 Awesome job, Chris. Should this be made a sticky, maybe?
    +1 on the sticky. good writeup.
    Hidden Content I suffer from delusions of adequacy. Hidden Content
    2005 CBR 600rr
    2002 Kawi Ninja 250
    1994 Kawi Ninja 250 (track toy)

Bikes:
    1998 CBR900RR

Yes, again, thank you for the good write up.

I am probably going to rebuild the 929 calipers before

I put them on the '98.

Thanks.
    can not hear the music!