Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Swap: 893 to 919

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    honda

Default Engine Swap: 893 to 919

Against my better judgement, my friend purchased a wrecked 893 engine to go into his 98 919 bike. What differences will there be with the swap? Will I have to replace any hard parts on the engine, or will all the components from the newer one be put on the old one? Thanks for the help.

Bikes:
    98 900RR 99 TL1000R 03 Ninja 250R (Wifes Bike) 84 KLT 250A2 Kawi 3 Wheeler! Off Road fun! 98 YZ 90cc

Default Re: Engine Swap: 893 to 919

Should bolt right in. I know there is only on diffrence is a sensor for the carbs on the 919 motor and not 893. If I remember right?!?!

Bikes:
    98 <>900 RR

Yea I think it is just the TPS ...

Maybe the headers ... not sure though

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris Doc View Post
    Will I have to replace any hard parts on the engine, or will all the components from the newer one be put on the old one?
    Uhm, I hate to say but it really depends on "which" part you are talking about. There are a lot of parts that are interchangeable, but more parts that are not.

Had to throw this in there cuz it looked like these guys mistook you and thought of you just putting the 893 motor in the bike itself?? And not trying to combine the two motors.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:
    98 900RR 99 TL1000R 03 Ninja 250R (Wifes Bike) 84 KLT 250A2 Kawi 3 Wheeler! Off Road fun! 98 YZ 90cc

I guess I need to be more careful when I read I post. Are u going to put the engines togather to try to make one so you can put it in the bike?

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    honda

Quote Originally Posted by Justin989RR View Post
    I guess I need to be more careful when I read I post. Are u going to put the engines togather to try to make one so you can put it in the bike?
    Yes, i'll take whatever i have to from each to make it work. I know some stuff will work and others wont, just was hoping for some clarification to make the job easier instead of trial and error. Forums are a big help when it comes to first time jobs. Thanks guys for the input. -Polaris Doc

Bikes:
    97 CBR 900RR, 2005 kawasaki zx-10R

Can't do it....i tried. Everything is different inside the 2 motors....different crank, rods, pistons, cases, case covers, transmission. The outside mounting points are the same so it is no problem to interchange engines in a frame but you can't rebuild one with parts from the other....wont work. Sorry

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    honda

Quote Originally Posted by lunitk View Post
    Can't do it....i tried. Everything is different inside the 2 motors....different crank, rods, pistons, cases, case covers, transmission. The outside mounting points are the same so it is no problem to interchange engines in a frame but you can't rebuild one with parts from the other....wont work. Sorry
    Clarification: I have a used 893 engine to put into a 98 919 bike that has a bad rod. Is going to be way cheaper to put a different engine in than to rebuild the original. All I need to know gentlemen, is what parts will i have to use off the original engine to make the 893 work in the bike without any hiccups with the electrical system. I'll be using the original carbs since the other ones are damaged on the 893.
    If any parts must be used from the 919 to make the 893 work in the bike, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Clarification: I have a used 893 engine to put into a 98 919 bike that has a bad rod. Is going to be way cheaper to put a different engine in than to rebuild the original. All I need to know gentlemen, is what parts will i have to use off the original engine to make the 893 work in the bike without any hiccups with the electrical system. I'll be using the original carbs since the other ones are damaged on the 893.
    If any parts must be used from the 919 to make the 893 work in the bike, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks
    You are still confusing the hell out of us?!?!? Are you A. putting an entire 893 engine into a frame for a 919 motor? Or B. trying to put one motor together out of two?

If it is A. then yes it will work, you can take an entire 893 motor and put it in a 919 frame. If it is B. than NO it will not work as stated above.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:

Oh good Speed I thought I was the only one lost on this?!! But yeah what Speed said is the truth. Why not just get anew crank and rods and pistons and throw it back togather. What happpened to the orignal motor(919)? You can usually find guys parting out there motors on ebay and buy that stuff crazy cheap.

Bikes:

I was wondering if anybody has tried to get the blocks the 893 and to 919 to work? I mean bore the 893 block to the spec of the 919 block. Then line bore the main caps and block for the 919 crank. I mean I woner how close the the block casting is between the 2 where if someone had the money and time to do it. It should work I would think. Kinda like stroking a small block and boring??!!! I dont know it could be very interesting to try or even see if it would work.

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    honda

Oh good Speed I thought I was the only one lost on this?!! But yeah what Speed said is the truth. Why not just get anew crank and rods and pistons and throw it back togather. What happpened to the orignal motor(919)? You can usually find guys parting out there motors on ebay and buy that stuff crazy cheap.
    Wow, didn't think I was being so vague. Bike is a 98 900rr. Took in on trade with the bad motor (#1 rod knocking). For sake of time and cost, we bought a used engine. Am putting a '95 893 engine into the bike. All i need to know is what parts, external, would have to be used from the original 919 engine to make all the electronics, etc work with the 893?
    Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to word it better next time. thanks

Bikes:

Ok it should be a direct bolt in. Other than the 919 has the TPS sensor on the carbs which you stated your going to use. So I think your good. Others might chime in and let you know but it will bolt right in.

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Will I have to replace any hard parts on the engine, or will all the components from the newer one be put on the old one?
    Yes, i'll take whatever i have to from each to make it work. I know some stuff will work and others wont, just was hoping for some clarification to make the job easier instead of trial and error.
    All I need to know gentlemen, is what parts will i have to use off the original engine to make the 893 work in the bike without any hiccups with the electrical system. I'll be using the original carbs since the other ones are damaged on the 893.
    Wow, didn't think I was being so vague. Bike is a 98 900rr. Took in on trade with the bad motor (#1 rod knocking). For sake of time and cost, we bought a used engine. Am putting a '95 893 engine into the bike. All i need to know is what parts, external, would have to be used from the original 919 engine to make all the electronics, etc work with the 893?
    Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to word it better next time. thanks
    Not to sound ignorant. But this is what I was seeing. Your last post, I highlighted in red the question that should have been said in the first post. Simple to the point.

Can an '95 893 eng be made to work in a 98 919 bike?

This whole what parts do I need from the 919 to make the 893 work sounds like you are asking if the two blocks can be "put together" to make one engine?!

I don't see why not. The 893 engine has less "electronical" stuff than the 919 engine. So you might just not have something. But you might also need the ECU from the 893 engine seeing as how the other ECU might have more to it than the 893 engine. Ask Sime, he has put a 919 motor in his 893 bike, I think, and he should be able to tell you what is or is not needed for the swap??!!

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    honda

Ok it should be a direct bolt in. Other than the 919 has the TPS sensor on the carbs which you stated your going to use. So I think your good. Others might chime in and let you know but it will bolt right in.
    UPDATE: so here's what's different....
    -pulse line to fuel pump
    -tps on carbs, used original ones
    -coolant sytem is slightly different, one hose is different but not a big deal
    -shifter is backwards the way it has to go on, now is one up 5 down
    -BIG problem is the speedo sensor. 919 uses a pickup mounted in the case
    which gets its signal from a gear in the tranny. the 893 goes off the front wheel.
    SO, who knows a way to get around this latest problem with the speedo? all else on the bike works and it runs fine.

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

If the shifter is different, all you have to do is take the linkage and flip it 180 degrees and it will be back to normal.

The 96+ bikes have the shift lever mounted to the rearset. The 95- bikes have a lever coming off the tranny lug. If you put your shift linkage on the tranny lug and want to have normal shift pattern, just flip the linkage you slide onto the tranny lug. It should work. It is like swapping to the GP shift on the 96+ bikes. That simple.

Laters.

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    honda

Quote Originally Posted by speedextreme View Post
    If the shifter is different, all you have to do is take the linkage and flip it 180 degrees and it will be back to normal.

The 96+ bikes have the shift lever mounted to the rearset. The 95- bikes have a lever coming off the tranny lug. If you put your shift linkage on the tranny lug and want to have normal shift pattern, just flip the linkage you slide onto the tranny lug. It should work. It is like swapping to the GP shift on the 96+ bikes. That simple.

Laters.
    Shifter is not a prob. I was more referring to the speedo sensor....

Bikes:

Can u find front forks with the speedo pick up on it? If so you can swap out the front forks and guages.

Use a 96-97 speedo drive - its electronic and drives off the front sprocket bolt

Bikes:
    97 CBR 900RR, 2005 kawasaki zx-10R

yes use the existing speedo drive from the 98. I used the one from my 97 when I put the 95 motor in the 97 frame (instead of using the 95 front sprocket cover) and it worked just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast