Thread: "NEW Battery Draining Because of Headlights?"WILL PAY OR TRADE PARTS FOR HELP!!!!!!!!

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

Question "NEW Battery Draining Because of Headlights?"WILL PAY OR TRADE PARTS FOR HELP!!!!!!!!

I just installed a new GTX9BS PowerCraft Battery for my 2000 HONDA CBR 929 RR and it was running great I mean and I hade just got my spark plugs changed by myself (and we all know what a pain in the ass it is to change the plugs in a 2000 HONDA CBR 929 anyway if you own on) and the shop would charge about $250to change them alone .....ANYWAY ELL I HAD MY BIKE RIDING GREAT THEN IT TURNED DARK AND IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYTIME I PLUG MY HEADLIGHTS IN CONSIDERING I DONG KNOW WHY I CAN'T JUST MANUALLY BY SWITHCH JUST DIM THEM OR TURN THEM OFF ... BUT EVERYTIME IT RUN'S ALL THE JUICE OUT OF MY BATTERY AND IT'S QUU AGGRAVATING IT WONT START BACK UOP IT HAD TOI BE JUMPED ARE THE BATTERY RE-CHARGED FOR A HOUR OR SO!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I WILL PAY SOMEONE OR TRADE BIKE PARTS EVEN FOR RELIABLE HELP...PLEASE HELP...!!!!HELP JUST PLEASE HELP ME THIS IS THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE OUT OF MY BIKE I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S MAJOR OR WHAT???????????????

Bikes:
    98 900RR 99 TL1000R 03 Ninja 250R (Wifes Bike) 84 KLT 250A2 Kawi 3 Wheeler! Off Road fun! 98 YZ 90cc

Default Re: "NEW Battery Draining Because of Headlights?"WILL PAY OR TRADE PARTS FOR HELP!!!!

I would check your ground wires. Then your stator and R/R to make sure your making juice.?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Default Re: "NEW Battery Draining Because of Headlights?"WILL PAY OR TRADE PARTS FOR HELP!!!!

Well I *think* I understood your rant... Kind of, anyway...

My first question is, are they stock bulbs, or have they been 'upgraded' to higher-wattage ones, perhaps? Lots of people have problems with batteries running down when more watts are sucked out via brighter headlights. And how stock is your bike? Have you messed around with any wiring when doing turn signal upgrades, or anything?

If not, hm. Could be a million things...

Are you anywhere near Owensboro? My friend Suzanne lives there now, and she's MMI certified and might be able to shed some light on your problem. She's really, really good people. Let me know if so, I'll get you her email...

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

O.K. first off, when the bike is running and the low beams are on. You should be getting around 13+ volts to the battery. Anything lower and you are not charging while running!!! If you are, then I can't think of any other problems you are having besides grounds.

I am currently on my third YES, third battery in ten years, 46000+ miles and one 130w/110 and one 110w/90 bulbs. I have not fried any wires, no batteries have failed because of it or anything.

In fact I am having to disconnect my battery right now since I have maybe put 200 miles on this year only!!! And it is getting harder to start.

But I cannot see if your charging system is O.K. that you are loosing the batteries because of lights??? They do make a switch that you can use to turn them off in the daytime? I run one?

Don't know. Hope someone here helps.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Secret Squirrel Member bikerdave's Avatar

Bikes:
    1998 CBR900RR

I'm with Justin.

The Fireblade(900-929-954-1000RR)are notorious for having lousy

(weak-bad) charging systems.

Speed's right. You ain't getting 13.5 - 14.5 V at the battery while

running with the lights on you got charging problems.

This does not address what might be ground, short, and connection

problems.

There are a couple of threads on here that deal with this type

of electircal problem. One is mine and I've added to the other one.

One title is AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGG.

I've also learned recently that you will need to not only test volts

at the battery while running you'll need to test Amps coming back

through the wiring to see what you're putting into the battery.

Good Luck.

Keep asking questions.

There are lots of folks on here who are really good at this and

really helpful.

Dave
    Those who dance are considered crazy by those who
    can not hear the music!

Bikes:
    CBR

If turned off, a light bulb has no way of discharging a battery. You know a light bulb is pulling current, when that light bulb lights. If your battery is discharging, you have an electrical problem but it isn't your headlight. I would start by looking at the wiring diagram to see what else is on the same string as your headlights (if unpluging them actually fixes the problem) and trace the wires back. Somewhere along that wiring path you have something fried or a shorted/chaffed wire.