Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch replacement

Bikes:
    XX conversion is complete and kicking Busa butt

Default Clutch replacement

I had some reservations about doing this one but decided to go ahead. There are going to be some different opinions concerning certain parts of this and I will try and name those as well. Forums are the perfect place to express experiences and ideas. If you do something different, please chime in. Your way may be better or make more sense to someone else. Usually I replace a clutch pack twice a year. I only dragrace my RR and launching at the track is hell on a clutch. Okay, on with how I do it and hopefully some helpful pics....
    "Crankenstein" is a GO...

Bikes:

Default Re: Clutch replacement

Remove clutch cover (pretty straightforward, use 8mm socket to remove all the bolts and disconnect clutch cable at the lever on cover). After cover is removed, remove 5 bolts securing pressure plate (10mm 1/4" socket). Remove pressure plate.

Bikes:

Remove plates/fibers (I use a pair of small screwdrivers or scratching awls with hook on the end). The furthermost ones are kinda hard to get to, just be patient.

Bikes:

I like to blow out inside of basket/inner hub. Place a rag underneath the basket to keep crud from getting into oil pan and blow out with compressed air. When you removed last fiber, 2 little metal rings may have came out. If they didn't they are still in there. If they are still there, fine don't concern yourself with them. If they came out, they will need to go back. One is flat and can go in turned either way. The other is sorta cone shaped. The big end goes toward you. (Just for reference, I have ran bike without them with no difference in performance or noise of clutch pack).

Bikes:

Look at your new fibers. You will notice one has a different part number. It also looks different, the inside diameter is bigger than the rest of them. This is for a reason as it slips over the judder spring and seat. I got em mixed up once and put regular fiber in first. When I went to pull lever in, it only pulled in maybe 1/2" and stopped, no clutch. So make sure you set it aside before assembly to avoid confusion.

Bikes:

Okay, ready to oil the fibers. How long do you oil them? I have heard everything from a quick dip to soaking 24 hours (or even longer). Do some research and make up your own mind. Me personally, I have a tupperware bowl I got at Walmart to soak mine in. I fill it up with fresh motor oil (same as I run in engine). Then I dip fiber in the oil and immediately install it, no waiting. Been doing it for years with no problems, but like I said, do what you feel is adequate. Just make sure you start with that odd fiber, then follow with a steel. Keep alternating til you run out. You should end up with a fiber, if you don't something is wrong. "teeth" on fibers go into long grooves in clutch basket (some people install last fiber into short groove). You will notice steel plates have rounded edges on one side and flat on the other. I don't think it matters which way, just make sure they are all turned same way.

Bikes:

After last fiber is in place, apply some oil to gripping surface of pressure plate and install it. Then install springs/bolts and finger tighten.

Bikes:

Make sure springs are even with washers so they don't rub on pressure plate. Using 10mm 1/4" socket, tighten bolts. Just snug these! They are pretty easy to overtighten so don't go nuts with them.

Bikes:

Using new gasket, install clutch cover and that's it. You may have to adjust clutch cable at cover and at lever.

Bikes:

I just checked in a Haynes manual and they tell you to install last fiber in the short grooves in basket. I don't see the difference, but that is what it says to do.

Bikes:
    98 900RR 99 TL1000R 03 Ninja 250R (Wifes Bike) 84 KLT 250A2 Kawi 3 Wheeler! Off Road fun! 98 YZ 90cc

Me thinks your getting into making your own tutorials. LOL another great job and very helpful CBR900Racer!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Bikes:

hey, how bout one on splitting the cases? LOL. Seriously, I'll be splitting them sometime this winter to have cylinders re-sleeved (again). My wife asked me this morning what was all over her camera. I didn't have the nerve to tell it was Mobil 10W40

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Also stuck.

Not been here that long bikeserv's Avatar

Bikes:
    97 cbr 900

Quote Originally Posted by cbr900racer77 View Post
    I like to blow out inside of basket/inner hub. Place a rag underneath the basket to keep crud from getting into oil pan and blow out with compressed air. When you removed last fiber, 2 little metal rings may have came out. If they didn't they are still in there. If they are still there, fine don't concern yourself with them. If they came out, they will need to go back. One is flat and can go in turned either way. The other is sorta cone shaped. The big end goes toward you. (Just for reference, I have ran bike without them with no difference in performance or noise of clutch pack).
    Those rings are called judder springs.They are making the clutch engaging more progressively.Without them the clutch is a bit more gruby at high rpm ,when you launch the thing hard.The reason that you get the last fiber on the short bosses,is cause its easier to inspect the clutch assy thickness without disassembling it.
    Also,for drag,you can get the metal plates machined slightly to make em thinner,and use an extra friction plate
    There`s only three speeds:fast,very fast,and OH SHIT! Hidden Content

Bikes:

If your clutch is grabbing at high rpm launches, you need to shim up the springs behind the basket. Judder springs mainly cut down on clutch chatter. As for machining the steels, IMO, I wouldn't . When they warp, you trash them so making them any thinner would be counter-productive. The thing to do is machine the inner hub and pressure plate to accept another steel/fiber.

Bikes:
    98 900RR

Between this thread and my Haynes manual I have learned alot tonight.My clutch has been slipping.At first I thought it was because I put regular motor oil in it, oops.So I drained it out and replaced it with 4 cycle oil, felt better but is still slipping.So I decided to tear it down, no biggie, just a couple bolts.
    Everything looked good, so I cleaned all the clutch plates and friction plates and start to re-assemble.Well I did exactly what was stated here and in the book.But I kept coming up with 2 friction plates beside each other, here come to find out that I only have 6 clutch plates when I should have 7, no wonder my damn clutch was slipping.
    I would have never noticed it without the help from you guys, Thanks.
    Chris
    09 Repsol #1030
    98 CBR 900RR
    06 ZZR 600--Wifes ride--RIP Baby Girl

this is one of the first things i did on my 97 900RR. i HATE those stupid spring bolts. 3 of them broke off (never use an air wrench for that!) and i had to use an ease out to remove them. i replaced them with case hardened steel bolts since i could care less about weight. they not breaking now lol.

Bikes:

Those bolts are soft for a reason. Never use anything bigger than 1/4" ratchet/socket to remove/install them.

yep hard lesson learned! i know they are supposed to shear if it gets stuck. hopefully that never happens because mine will NEVER shear lol

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    2005 GSXR 750(Stolen), 95 CBR900RR(99 motor)

"Okay, ready to oil the fibers. How long do you oil them? I have heard everything from a quick dip to soaking 24 hours (or even longer). Do some research and make up your own mind. Me personally, I have a tupperware bowl I got at Walmart to soak mine in. I fill it up with fresh motor oil (same as I run in engine). Then I dip fiber in the oil and immediately install it, no waiting. Been doing it for years with no problems, but like I said, do what you feel is adequate"

You only need to soak the fiber clutch plates for 30 minutes any more than that isn't necessary. Also you can use your old oil you drained out granted you have no serious problems like metal shavings in it and its just the usual used oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast