Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Sided Swing Arm (SSSA) conversion

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Default Re: Single Sided Swing Arm (SSSA) conversion

Hey Archer, so as not to hijack the thread, I'll PM ya!

Bikes:
    '01 CBR 929...Bumble Bee style

Quote Originally Posted by Archer 900RR View Post
    Wingnut, could you possibly write up a how to on your tail. I am trying to patch up an upper fairing that I got a while ago, using some plastic welding stuff that sime showed me. WORKED GREAT by the way Sime... But there are some inperfections from sanding and what not. I was looking for some flex bondo, but no luck at local body supply places.

Archer
    Damn it.....I thought I saw a post like this during my adventure through the archives.
    CalKidd
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar" - Mark Twain

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

In relation to the pin holes, I used a flexible bumper repair product. Was a two-part system with a hardner and both parts came in a tube. I believe it was manufactured in the UK and the brand started with a 'P'. I'll find out tonight and post it here. The product worked a treat!

Wink Re: Single Sided Swing Arm (SSSA) conversion

The sssarm off a VFR800 does fit with a little machining im fitting one next month so ill get up some photos and a how to its been done before and the arm looks beefier than a 750 arm.

You just need to have longer wheel studs and a spacer between the hub and wheel of about 8mm i think from memory.As the arm is slightly off center.

Bikes:
    98 CBR 900 rr (parted out), Ducati 748s (blown Motor)

Man Its been so long

Well I bought a shark skinz race tail and cut the back off....
    them I molded some potters keep (green foam) to get the shape I liked, after thet it was fiberglass bondo from walmart and regular putty (bondo) and an A@# ton of sanding
    Leon Carney

98 cbr 900rr (SSSA, custom GP exhaust, front end conversion)
    01 Ducati 748s

Bikes:
    '01 CBR 929...Bumble Bee style

CalKidd
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar" - Mark Twain

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    96 Honda Fireblade - 04 Suzuki Bandit 600 streetfighter - 05 Suzuki DRZ SM - 07 Aprilia SXV 550

I have 96 blade with the 95 vfr 750 arm and the 800 rear wheel. What is the correct tyre size to use? Is it the same as the stock vfr 800 tyre?

If someone could give me the correct size then that will be good. Need the tyre but dont want to buy the wrong one.

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Quote Originally Posted by jonblade View Post
    I have 96 blade with the 95 vfr 750 arm and the 800 rear wheel. What is the correct tyre size to use? Is it the same as the stock vfr 800 tyre?

If someone could give me the correct size then that will be good. Need the tyre but dont want to buy the wrong one.
    Use the same size you do for the 900RR. It would be a 180/55/16, or is it a 180/50/16??? I can never remember which one is the "55" and which one is the "50", meaning is it 180/55 or 190/55 - or - 180/50 or 190/50???

But just use the same size as the stock rear 900RR tire! The VFR800 rear is the same width as the 900's so it would be perfect!
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Bikes:
    '99 FrankenBlade '77 CJ7

Quote Originally Posted by speedextreme View Post
    Use the same size you do for the 900RR. It would be a 180/55/16, or is it a 180/50/16??? I can never remember which one is the "55" and which one is the "50", meaning is it 180/55 or 190/55 - or - 180/50 or 190/50???

But just use the same size as the stock rear 900RR tire! The VFR800 rear is the same width as the 900's so it would be perfect!
    OOPS, I meant to say 180/55/17!!! Not 16!!!!

Need to put the beer down once n a while.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Not been here that long carbonrrpilot's Avatar

Bikes:
    04 600rr

damn.... that looks bad azz, nice work!!

Bikes:
    '95 900rr

So besides looks is there any benefit of having the SSSA? Meaning obviously it looks like it would be lighter than a stock setup but how much abuse from twisties can it take on the side the wheel mounts to? I imagine there must be a crap load of force trying to bend and rip that wheel off while carving the twisties. Any one have any input on this? I have been thinking of doing the swap but don't want to create a potential problem by weaking the wheel mounting point.

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by 89ls1 View Post
    So besides looks is there any benefit of having the SSSA? Meaning obviously it looks like it would be lighter than a stock setup but how much abuse from twisties can it take on the side the wheel mounts to? I imagine there must be a crap load of force trying to bend and rip that wheel off while carving the twisties. Any one have any input on this? I have been thinking of doing the swap but don't want to create a potential problem by weaking the wheel mounting point.
    Sorry for the late reply.

Well, I have 154hp at the rear wheel and a SSA fitted. It has held up just fine for 10,000k's (6,000 odd miles). Strong as. I did replace the master bearings in the hub. Keep in mind that the VFR's are popular touring bikes so they do generally have a lot of miles on them. Freshening up the hub internals is a smart idea.

Yes, it looks phenomenal. But in my case, with the huge increase over stock power on my bike, the longer wheelbase helps keep the front end down a little more.

Some others have said that the SSA on a 900RR exhibits slow edge to edge transitions, but I have not experienced that - nothing like it. I can throw my bike over extremely easily and quickly if I choose. My SSA has not exhibited any unusual handling traits - I am extremely happy that I made the switch.

Cheers,
    Sime

Not been here that long icreepin's Avatar

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    Just finished the reconstruction on my 98 blade. On Oct 15 2004 someone turned left in front of me and totaled the bike. 5 months later and about a thousnd dollars spent it is up and running and sounding good.

When I healed I decided to do a sssa conversion. Without doing my homework I found a sssa for a 2001 vfr 800 on ebay, what a deal 220 dollars. Well to my suprise it didn't work swingarm was 2 wide to fit the blade frame.

I posted back on ebay with a disclaimer that it doesn't fit a 900 conversion and sold it for 200 dollars.

After research I found that the 93 thru 97 vfr 750 was the required swingarm needed for the conversion. So I bought one off ebay. Here is a WARNING make sure it is post 93 swingarm, if you buy one in 1993 they produced 2 swingarms one that bolts right up and one that requires alot of work. I ordered pre 93 and had to do alot of machine work. I took it to the local machine shop they manufactured the lower bung (attachment point swingarm side for shock brackets) welded it in and presto sssa conversion completed almost.

The rim was the next thing. Who wants to run a 155 tire from the 93? not me so I had a rim from the 2001( fits a 180) I mentioned earlier figured it would bolt right up. NOPE. The disc for the 93-97 uses bolts that cause the rim to not sit flat on the hub assembly. Back to the machine shop. So they removed 4 notches to match the protruding bolts from the disc. Also had the manufacture the 25mm od 20mm id and 20 mm lenght spacer required.

Finally the conversion was done new tire all was good. Put the exhaust back on. S&%t it blocked everthing, all that work for the exaust to block it. So I started to look for and underseat exhaust 1600 dollars was the cheapest I could find. Screw that ill mkae my own.

Took a D&D pipe cut 10 inchs out of it rerivited it back together, cost:free
    Back to machine shop for mandril bent pipe , cost 35 dollars
    To the local muffler shop to get it welded in, cost 55 dollars

Making your own underseat exhaust: pricless

Of course there was the trimming of the undertail, relocation of the CDI, header wraping the pipe, maufacturing of a under pan and heat shield and modifications to the tail of the bike.,

Now during all of this I repaired all the plastics, and order a s@%t ton of parts from ebay.

All in all it took around 100 hr of my time over a 5 month period and a thousand dollars but I feel it is worth it, and I am the only sssa I have ever seen in North Carolina......

Here are some pics.
    Question for ya, I just got a 900RR and I think this is going to be the bike I keep. (although I say that about every bike I get and trick out). Other then the New swing arm, what else did you have to replace? ie: shock ect.

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3988

I just tried to find the super-informative thread, and couldn't seem to find it. Do some Advanced Searching and look for things like "SSSA" or "Swingarm" in Thread Titles Only and you'll find a bunch of stuff about it.

And as Rob put it, it's just good advice, not a cop-out. There's a crapload of info already on this site, ready to be seen right now, instead of waiting for a reply.

I like what this guy did to his '98. I just don't like the rear brake line routing. But what SSSA fits the blade.. VFR750 94-97? Not that i want to do that particular conversion. I like the stock swingarm myself.

Bikes:
    1996 Fireblade

I just finished my 96 blade upgrade

I used a 1996 VFR 750 swing arm
    1993 5.5J rear wheel that will take up to a 190 tyre
    2000 R1 rear hugger
    2006 ZXR 600 front fender
    GSXR 1000 rear break res
    2005 R1 sub-frame
    2005 R1 seat unit and pod
    2005 R1 underseat exhaust

If you want to see how I did it then follow the link below

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...TOPIC_ID=12308

Lots of how too's

Regards

CBRRRT

Bikes:
    98 HONDA CBR 900RR

Quote Originally Posted by CBRRRT View Post
    I just finished my 96 blade upgrade

I used a 1996 VFR 750 swing arm
    1993 5.5J rear wheel that will take up to a 190 tyre
    2000 R1 rear hugger
    2006 ZXR 600 front fender
    GSXR 1000 rear break res
    2005 R1 sub-frame
    2005 R1 seat unit and pod
    2005 R1 underseat exhaust

If you want to see how I did it then follow the link below

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...TOPIC_ID=12308

Lots of how too's

Regards

CBRRRT
    very nice i am looking for the same swing arm

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    1997 CBR 900

Quote Originally Posted by kawboy1968 View Post
    Got whatcha need... PM me for more info or email me @ lilbuck45@hotmail.com

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by kawboy1968 View Post
    Have you seen this:

http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6239

Bikes:
    98 HONDA CBR 900RR

Quote Originally Posted by Sime View Post
    yes i did, but i don't have the funds right now for that one. I only got $300, thanks for looking out though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast