Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 49 State Conversion

RRzone Elite

Default 49 State Conversion

Hey guys... I am new here, but not to bikes in general, or engine work.

I just bought a 1994 CBR900RR from the original owner, in So-Cal. I am in the process of squeezing some power out of it....

I need to know what exactly is different between the 49 state and Cali 900RRs for the year 1994...

Today I went to the Honda shop and got part numbers for camshafts. The following is what they gave me:

14110-MW0-000 Intake Camshaft
    14110-MW0-750 Intake Camshaft

14210-MW0-000 Exhaust Camshaft
    14210-MW0-750 Exhaust Camshaft

I need to know which camset is for the Cali bikes, and which are the 49 state cams.

I have read that the ECUs are different, but only one ECU is shown on the microfiche, so I assume that is false for the 1994 CBR900RRs.

My main jets are size 115, not sure what size is supposed to come with the Cali vs. the 49 state bikes.

Basically I need some factual information on this, please no opinions, I would rather not guess on this. Your help is appreciated...

Thanks!
    James

Bikes:
    XX conversion is complete and kicking Busa butt

Default Re: 49 State Conversion

I'd like to know the answer bout the cams myself. I have a set of 49state and cali cams, but unfortunately when I straightened up shop they got mixed and I have no idea which is which. I plan on using stock cams with next build to compare with the Webs I have. The webs are 49state cams reground but they are still in bike. I don't plan on tearing engine down for a lil while longer. I know the cams, the heads and carbs are different (I have a 93 cali RR). Other than that, I have no idea.
    "Crankenstein" is a GO...

RRzone Elite

So, you should be able to take the cams to a local shop, or measure the lobes yourself. The set with the longer duration and higher lift should be the 49 state cams.... Basically the taller, longer (wider) lobes will be for more performance (49 state)...

James

Bikes:

Do you have yours out? If so, what is stamped on them?

Bikes:

Never mind, just went and looked at both sets. There are a few letters and numbers stamped on them, but they don't mean shit to me. I'll see about getting them mic'd.

RRzone Elite

Darn it... That is brilliant, but I don't have mine out yet.... LOL

I assume mine is a Cali bike, it has the smog equipment installed and the owner lived in So-Cal. The keychain refers to South Coast Honda, a Santa Ana, California dealership that went out of business years ago....

Your lift/duration variances may even be noticeable with a machinist's ruler or simple dial caliper...

Is your bike a 49 state bike? If so which main jets came in it stock (assuming you know).

James

RRzone Elite

Wow, none of the numbers coincide with the part numbers I listed above? If they don't have the part numbers then how can we tell which ones they are (as in on Ebay, etc)...

James

RRzone Elite

FYI: Bike Bandit's microfiche depicts the cams in two different "Area Codes" - A & AC. See below:

3: CAMSHAFT, IN.
    Area Code A 209870-001 Enter 0-99 $350.63
    3: CAMSHAFT, IN.
    Area Code AC 209871-001 Enter 0-99 $342.93
    4: CAMSHAFT, EX.
    Area Code A 210242-001 Enter 0-99 $350.63
    4: CAMSHAFT, EX.
    Area Code AC 210243-001 Enter 0-99 $326.55

Researching now to try and find which is which....

James

RRzone Elite

Also found this, just for informational/comparitive purposes. This information is NOT for the CBR900RR:

The EPA California cams are .220 duration compared to the .235 duration 49 state cams of the regular CBR 600F2/F3 models. These are factory OEM camshafts. NOTE: California cams only have .263 lift compared to .325 lift for the 49 state cams.

These number variations between 49 state cams and Cali cams should be similar to the measured numbers on the CBR900RR camshafts.

James

RRzone Elite

FYI: Ron Ayers calls the California charcoal canister as being called "Canister AC". I am going to assume then that the camshafts listed on bikebandit as Area Code AC are for California bikes... Just need to figure out which part number corresponds with the term AC.

I also see that there are 4 different carb assemblies listed.... sigh... Tell me there are no physical differences in the carbs.....

James

RRzone Elite

AH-HA! Powersportspro's website does the trick... Check it out:

Honda : CBR900RR A (94) MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# JH2SC280-RM200001 TO JH2SC280-RM203322

Honda : CBR900RR AC (94) MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# JH2SC281-RM200001 TO JH2SC281-RM200683

So, check your VINs to see whether you have an A (49 State I am still assuming) or an AC (Cali model I assume)....

My Cali model is a 281 series VIN, with 200339 at the end. Mine has to be a Cali model because it has a charcoal canister and all the PAIR stickers/diagrams.

The microfiche shows the 280 Series VINs have the -000 camshafts. Therefore the 49 state cams should be the -000 camshafts.

The -750 camshafts are the Cali camshafts.

Gotta figure out about the carbs though. The part numbers are definitely different, but not sure about the sizes....

Here are the web addresses for references:

http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/...d/default.aspx

http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/...d/default.aspx

James

James

RRzone Elder StraightJacketRacing's Avatar

Bikes:
    1994 Honda CBR900RR, which is about to get a CBR929 front suspension with an RC-51 SP-1 wheel!

The carb assemblies on my old Cali model GSX-R were different from the 49-state ones, and I had to get the correct carbs AND carb boots to wrok on the bike.

I know you didn't want opinions or guesses, and I know that a GSX-R is not a CBR, but thought that experience might be helpful...

Bikes:

The carbs are definitely different. My cali carbs look like a friggin octupus with hoses running everywhere. As for stock jet sizes, it was far from stock when I bought it. A good manual should tell you what you need to know.

Bikes:
    1994 Honda CBR900RR, which is about to get a CBR929 front suspension with an RC-51 SP-1 wheel!

The carbs are definitely different. My cali carbs look like a friggin octupus with hoses running everywhere.

No sh*t! One of the happiest days of my life was yanking all the smog crap off of my old Suzuk! Here's a pic of the junk I yanked off of the bike...

RRzone Elite

Thanks for the replies... I figured the Cali carbs had different hose configurations... My concern is the bore size, as that is the only thing that should affect performance. Jetting can be corrected, but I don't want to deal with carb boring...

James

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR now for the track; '88 Hawk GT will be back on the road come Spring

Are you sure you want to do this? Different carbs, different ECU, different cams and different wiring hrness. All this to free up a couple of HP on a 15 year old bike.

Perhaps it would make more sense to have a different bike.

Try a search about this conversion. There are a couple of extremely informative threads here.

RRzone Elite

#1 I don't think I need another ECU, the microfiche only shows one.

#2 I don't need a different wiring harness, this is a carb'd bike, not EFI.

$3 The carbs may be the same size so the conversion may not be needed.

Here is one way to think about it:

Many websites and dyno charts that I have looked at show an approximate 10hp increase by converting to a 49 state bike.

Everything I have mentioned so far can be bought on Ebay for less than $200. So, $200 to free up quite a few horsepower.... Most people spend more than that on a slip on that does nothing but make their bike run lean...

What is wrong with spending a bit of money to make the bike go faster? Isn't that what everyone does?

What you guys don't know is that I bought the bike from the original owner for only $1390, so I am already way under budget. I can convert to a Cali model and pipe and jet it and still be under $2k. Suspension can be completely done and I will still be under $3k....

The bike fits me great, it looks classic, is clean, and I like it. I looked at new bikes for a while, but there is no use having a $7-$9k bike in the garage when I can't ride it during winter anyway. This way I keep my budget down, and have a nice bike that fits my wife and I well.

By the way, I tried the search feature but so far there are no posts that are even as informative as this one, with part numbers, etc. If you can find one I would appreciate it very much...

James

Bikes:

Yeah, sorry I don't know if the CBR had a different bore size or not. My Suzuki was 36mm for the Cali model, and 38s for the 49-state model. Again, not sure here, though...good luck. I hope you'll keep this thread goign as you do the conversion!

Bikes:

I'm pretty sure they were all 38mm. According to Haynes (take it for what it's worth)...main jets for ALL 93-97 models=115. I would bet Gixerkiller would know more about this than anyone. Maybe he will chime in.

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Quote Originally Posted by cbr900racer77 View Post
    ... I would bet Gixerkiller would know more about this than anyone. Maybe he will chime in.
    Dennis would. But... He said he was 'out' again, but he lurks, so hopefully he'll feel generous. But no guarantees.

So you're trying to convert this thing to a CA model, or from? If to, that'll be the first time I've ever heard of it.

And ghbzorro meant no insult, we've just seen projects like this add up to more than purchasing a different bike, so he was just throwing that out there... Keeping boundaries set with what you're willing to spend on a project can be important to a lot of folks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast