Thread: whats good to get

Bikes:
    no bike now

Default whats good to get

ok i have no gear. i dont know anything about any of it
    whats good to get for the money? and where do i buy it?
    i at least want a helmet and a jacket

Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

Default Re: whats good to get

For gloves, get full gauntlet. It makes rash injuries on your arms less likely in the event of a crash.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Bikes:
    no bike now

tyty

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Those were some good links he listed, especially newenough.com.

I'm a diehard Joe Rocket fan, myself... I like their leathers and especially their gloves.

About the only brand I can suggest you steer away from is Icon. And I have no factual data/personal use to defend that, it's just what I keep hearing over and over from a lot of different people.

Are you looking for casual wear, a full racing suit...? There are so many options. But bare minimum - helmet, gloves, jeans and boots. And they make nice kevlar jeans that will help if you were to go down. Preferably, you'd be wearing a full leather suit every time, but I'm guilty of running down to the Circle K wearing shorts and tennis shoes, with only a helmet, sometimes...

Always wear your helmet. No exceptions.

Bikes:
    no bike now

i dont know jawhn. that icon merc hero jacket for the money looks good

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by jar1zx View Post
    i dont know jawhn. that icon merc hero jacket for the money looks good
    Oh, I'm sure it looks good.

Again, I have no personal experience, I have just been amazed at how often I hear people complaining about the stuff... People that have bought it.

I'm sure the stuff is fine, I just get the impression they skimp on some bells/whistles/attributes that many take for granted. Take what I'm saying for what it's worth - absolutely nothing.

Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

I usually buy Fieldsheer pants and jackets. The jacket Fieldsheer Flex) and pants Fieldsheer Sport Air) I was wearing when I slid 150 feet fared extremely well. And the pants are avaiklable for $140 from motorcyclecloseouts.com in sizes 32, 34, and 36.

Only one seam wore through on the pants and they're definitely repairable.

Zero, I said ZERO road rash.

I also have a Teknic full suit for the track. I had a lowside at 60mph and the only damage was a separation of the seam where the material on the inside of the arm tore when I hit the apex curve.

Good gloves I've owned are made by Alpinestars and Spidi. Boots, Sidi. Can't say enough about the Sidi Vortex rain boots. Kept my feet completely dry during a heavy raining track day.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Bikes:

Oh, and I forgot about "Frank Thomas" gear from Cycle Gear.

Inexpensive. Not too badly made. And... The best part by a long shot:

Guaranteed for life. If you go down and get them all scuffed up, go into a store and they will trade you a new version of whatever wearable you destroyed for the old one. I have several friends doing this, and none have had a problem returning anything F.T.

Not the prettiest or best made, but the only safety gear I've ever heard of with a lifetime guarantee...

Bikes:
    2005 R1, 2003 RC51, 1993 CBR 900rr, 2006 GSXR 1000,1989 GSXR 1100,2003 Yamaha vino, 2008 GSXR 600

I have wreck tested a lot of gear, I would recommend staying away from Alpinestars gloves, I use nothing but Held gloves now, and even after two highsides this year, gloves look new. It all really depends on your budget.
    ASMA - CMRA #118

Bikes:
    no bike now

i went with
    icon domain decay for helmet
    icon timax leather for jacket
    frank thomas leather pants
    fieldsheer leather gloves ( maybe not leather says goat skin on tag)
    and think i will keep using my good old trusty red wing boots

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    1995 CBR900RR & 2006 ST1300 & 2000 GSXR600

newenough.com

Is the place to get great deals on appearal!!

Dave

Not been here that long runlevelfour's Avatar

Bikes:
    1996 Honda CBR900RR : 1997 Suzuki TL1000S

I had a very bad run-in with motorcyclecloseouts.com this summer. Their complete lack of professionalism and basic customer service skills was worth a lengthy write-up over the experience. I have never had any problems with newenough.com and motorcycle-superstore.com so I would highly recommend shopping there instead.

Jawhn I have to chime in and back you up with what little experience I have had with icon. Bought a tank bag from newenough and it was everything I wanted, but a bit pricey (100 buckeroonies). I really liked the bag but quality seems a bit sketchy and the zippers ended up completely failing and a strap broke. Maybe just bad luck but I have never had something that expensive (for what it was) fail so quickly. Not condeming Icon for it, but it makes me leery pay for their (as far as I am concerned) pricey gear.

HJC, Joe Rocket, Teknic, Fieldsheer, XElement, Yoshimura(branded) have all been good to me.

Not been here that long runlevelfour's Avatar

Bikes:
    1996 Honda CBR900RR : 1997 Suzuki TL1000S

Here's a bit more to answer your question about what is what. Keep in mind I know little but am willing to share what I have read and learned. I have full faith in people who knowing more correcting any errors I post.

Material: You get two main choices Leather or Textile. Holy wars have erupted over which is better in the differing categories. I say shop around, compare features and go with what you want. Just don't get all excited and go for the high end stuff to start.

-Leather: Tends to be hotter, heavier, more expensive. Arguably provides the best abrasion protection though, and you can get perforated leathers that give some better cooling capabilities.
    -Textile: Man-made stuff like cordura. I prefer a nice insulated textile jacket for the cooler months, and a mesh jacket for the warmer months with a hoodie in the trunk in case the weather cools while I am on the bike.

*NOTE ON ARMOR: Make sure jackets have armored sections in the joints and back. Most good jackets have armor in the shoulders, back, and elbows/forearms. Try to go with CE rated Level 3 whenever possible. A lot of manufacturers put in a back "pad" that is NOT CE RATED. Look and check to be sure.

Gloves: Two choices on this one, short cuff and racing gauntlet. Gauntlets protect your hands, wrists, forearms better but that doesn't mean the short-cuffs are worthless as they can offer good protection too, especially if your jacket has good forearm armor. The main upside of gauntlets is wrist reinforcement. I *highly* recommend silk liners for your gloves. They're cheap and increase comfort significantly. Just keep them away from velcro. I have a pair of short cut mesh and gauntlet style scrarabs. If I wreck I would much rather have the scarabs on.

Helmet: DoT rating is all you need. There is some considerable controversy about snell rating. Don't presume a more expensive helmet is going to protect your head better. (in spite of what marketing and fanboys will tell you) I feel there is a comfort/noise difference in quality but a good KBC/HJC is going to protect your melon just as good as an Arai that costs 5 times as much. I fully believe in a full face helmet all the time every time. Also understand some manufacturers fit differing headstyles better or worse than others. I have a fairly normal (I think) head, and haven't ran into a style that didn't fit reasonably well. If you haven't any experience buying a helmet I suggest going to a local shop and trying them on. Get a seamstress measuring tape and measure the circumference of your head as well to have it for your records. By the way if you go spend time trying on helmets at the local shop I feel its only fair you buy at least your first brain bucket there. Compensate them for having the convenience of letting you shop around to find the right fit. Just don't let the salesmen tell you what to buy. If you like a helmet wear it around for about 20 mins in the shop. If it still feels good and fits snug thats what you want.

Footgear: Up to this point I have been wearing a heavy set of Xelement boots. They're cheap, durable, and off the bike look (the style I have) almost like the ubiquitous workbook you see guys wearing everywhere. I think this season however I am going with a set of race boots. You can get them for a reasonable amount, they go higher and are reinforced up your calf for better protection plus some look like pretty normal footgear if you are off the bike. I also hear they are more comfortable and lighter as well. If your budget is tight go with a set of xelement engineer style boots or something then get racing boots when you can afford em.

Beyond all else do some reading. Look stuff up, read reviews, don't get caught up in brand names, fanboyism, or think you have to go buy all top end gear. Some guys get all excited and end up cruising around wearing a $500 race suit around the local strip at 40mph. Don't be that guy unless you are on the way to do some racing. :P Above all learn about your gear and what it does.
    Last edited by runlevelfour; January 25th, 2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Addition to helmets

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    Dirt Bike

If you want to buy gears for your bike then you need at least three things as per your choice as well.

1. Helmets: which you can buy from here: https://www.mxmegastore.com/mens-app...s-helmets.html

product I like the most is: HJC CL-X7 Mens Motocross Helmets

2. Jackets: You can buy jackets from: https://www.mxmegastore.com/mens-app...s-jackets.html

other products you can buy for you
    Boots: https://www.mxmegastore.com/mens-app...oss-boots.html
    Dirt Bike Pants: https://www.mxmegastore.com/mens-app...ike-pants.html
    Goggles: https://www.mxmegastore.com/mens-app...cessories.html
    Jerseys: https://www.mxmegastore.com/mens-app...s-jerseys.html
    MX Megastore