Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacket or No Jacket?

Not been here that long bwolak76's Avatar

Bikes:
    1996 Honda CBR 900rr

Default Jacket or No Jacket?

Just wondering everyone's opinion on if you wear a riding jacket or not. So far I've just been wearing a heavy hoodie, and my friends say to get one, but I feel so comfortable in the hoodie that I don't know if I should buy one? What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Jacket or No Jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by bwolak76 View Post
    Just wondering everyone's opinion on if you wear a riding jacket or not. So far I've just been wearing a heavy hoodie, and my friends say to get one, but I feel so comfortable in the hoodie that I don't know if I should buy one? What are your thoughts?
    Crash in the hoodie and it won't feel so comfortable anymore. Get leather with armor in it, you'll be glad you did someday. After all, there's two kinds of riders, the kind that have been down, and the kind that are going down. Dress for the crash, not the ride.
    When in doubt, gas the hell out of it. It may not fix the problem, but it will make the wait to see what happen a lot shorter.

Bikes:
    04 Kawi ZX10R

Quote Originally Posted by cbr900rar View Post
    Crash in the hoodie and it won't feel so comfortable anymore. Get leather with armor in it, you'll be glad you did someday. After all, there's two kinds of riders, the kind that have been down, and the kind that are going down. Dress for the crash, not the ride.
    Well said!

Bikes:
    1996 Honda CBR 900rr

that is very well said, great call on that, thanks man! I planned on getting one anyways, just looking for opinions of others

RRzone Elder StraightJacketRacing's Avatar

Bikes:
    1994 Honda CBR900RR, which is about to get a CBR929 front suspension with an RC-51 SP-1 wheel!

A jacket all the time, every time. Buy the best one you can, same wih helmet and gloves. You've only got 1 body!
    'My center is giving way; my right is pushed back. Situation excellent: I am attacking.' - Ferdinand Foche at the second battle of the Marne

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR now for the track; '88 Hawk GT will be back on the road come Spring

and proper boots.

I swear I am going to get pants, too, but haven't got around to it.

Bikes:
    1996 Honda CBR 900rr

So far I have an Icon Alliance SSR helmet and Icon gloves so I figured I'd go with the theme and get an Icon jacket...looking at the contra, any suggestions?

So far I have an Icon Alliance SSR helmet and Icon gloves so I figured I'd go with the theme and get an Icon jacket...looking at the contra, any suggestions?

I don't know much about the Contra, so I looked it up. The only problem I can see is that it's textile, not leather. While textile is better than nothing, it's still not as good as leather. I've heard stories (never seen it myself) of textile melting to skin while sliding. That's not something I would want to experience. Then again, those stories could be BS tales from the Motorcycle forums. Most of the people I know that have had textile eventually buy leather. It's just the best protection.(besides a trojan)
    When in doubt, gas the hell out of it. It may not fix the problem, but it will make the wait to see what happen a lot shorter.

Bikes:
    '99 CBR900 RR

If a cow or a kangaroo didn't die to make your gear, then your gear isn't good enough.

(taken from the entry form of a track school)
    You know how it is when you lean back too far in your chair and almost fall backwards, but save yourself at the last second? I feel like that all day.

Quote Originally Posted by n3cr0 View Post
    If a cow or a kangaroo didn't die to make your gear, then your gear isn't good enough.

(taken from the entry form of a track school)
    Ha ha ha..... I couldn't have put it better myself.

Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

I walked away from a broadside collision when a cage stopped in my path after taking a left turn in my path. (the driver realized I was actually there and panic stopped) I was doing 55 and slid for 125 feet. I was wearing a leather jacket, leather pants. Sidi Vertigo boots, full gauntlet gloves, and an Arai RX-7 Corsair helmet.

Having walked away from this with only a tweaked right shoulder from the initial impact to the ground, I'll never ride without a jacket again. I don't care if it's 100+ degrees out.

LEATHER IS LESS EXPENSIVE THAN SKIN!

IT'S BETTER TO SWEAT THAN TO BLEED!

The only damage to the gear and how bad the bike was destroyed are in pics below.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Bikes:

I would also go for pants, which attach to the jacket with a zipper. Most jackets have a zipper panel zipped to the zipper that is attached to the jacket. This is to have a tailor attache it to a pair of pants, in case the zipper on the pants isn't compatible.

I would just get the same brand pants as the jacket you have thought.

My street gear is Fieldsheer and I like their quality. You won't break the bank purchasing it either.
    Hidden Content

I'd go with full gear. I personally ride with a helmet, leather jacket and leather riding boots with steel soles. and jeans pants but with knee protectors.

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by kiai View Post
    I'd go with full gear. I personally ride with a helmet, leather jacket and leather riding boots with steel soles. and jeans pants but with knee protectors.
    My issue with riding jeans, even the kevlar-reinforced type, is that they still wear through MUCH faster than leather.

In the crash I had, I may very well have work through the jeans, had I been wearing them.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    My issue with riding jeans, even the kevlar-reinforced type, is that they still wear through MUCH faster than leather.

In the crash I had, I may very well have work through the jeans, had I been wearing them.
    as I said I go with jeans only if I were to wear knee protectors and a padded shorts underneath.

Bikes:
    1996 Honda CBR 900rr

well then I guess my next question is leather or textile? And if leather, would any leather do?

well then I guess my next question is leather or textile? And if leather, would any leather do?
    Leather. And Icon makes several jackets that would go well with your other gear. Pretty much anything that is designed for street or track with be of adequate quality and safety. Avoid off brands and Ebay "deals" and get something good. If you take care of it(and don't crash) it will last for several years, so splurge for the good stuff. All my gear is Alpinestars and it was expensive, but that's the brand I was wearing when I went down at 80+ mph and walked away without a scratch...... So I'm a believer.

http://rideicon.com/product_group.jsp?category=3122

Bikes:
    CBR900RR,-GSXR 600,-CBR600RR

I live where temps go over a 100% and use to were mesh but last year I bought a teknic perforated freestyle jacket for 100$ brand new and it is just as cool as the mesh but protects me better. Weat leather road rash hurts for ever, I've gone down 3 times. Johnnyh

Bikes:
    CBR900RR,-GSXR 600,-CBR600RR

I forgot to mention, I don't really combine the same brand, I buy what I can afford and does a good job on protection. Icon is a name with high prices and isn't even made in the US. I reallize neither are the other brands but you can save alot of money by doing research on youtube and buying what you need. Scorpion makes nice helmets at a good price and teknic makes good leather at a good price. There is also a website called leatherup.com that has nice leather gear. Just my 2 cents. Johnnyh

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

I crashed at 55mph, full lean angle and in leather suit . . .hoodie and jeans would have felt like sandpaper
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast