Thread: Another Fuel pump?

Bikes:
    1994 900 RR

Default Another Fuel pump?

Spring cam early this year in Ohio, so I have been riding my bike both for pleasure and the daily commute to work to try and avoid $4 a gallon gas prices. Yesterday i noticed a little sputter under acceleration when i was entering a smaller highway around my house. I didnt think too much of it, and headed to Autozone and put some Sea Foam in with the gas thinking that maybe the Stabil that I had put in the gas before winter just needed some flushing out. this is the third full tank that I have put in since I have "officially" got my bike out for the season. The bike ran flawlessly this morning on the way to work so I just wrote it off as some possible bad/dirty gas, but on the way home the bike shut off while I was riding it. There was a light sputter a few miles before it turned off, then it sputtered again and shut off, right as I entered the turning lane on a 4 lane divided highway! I crossed the oncoming lanes and tried to start the bike to no avail. It cranks hard, so I dont think that it is a stator or battery issue, both are about 3 years old and are OEM parts. But what I am really convinced of is that the fuel pump went out again! this will be the third pump in 4 years! it did this to me last spring, as well as 2 years ago and as soon as I put a new pump in the problem was fixed, and flawless operation ensued all the way through the fall. Is there a possibility that there is something else wrong that is causing the pumps to burn up? All the parts that i put on the bike are Honda parts. Is there a way to test the pump itself to see if it is the problem before buying another one? I went out and the bike fired a couple of minutes ago, briefly, which is about 2 hours after it shut off so I am thinking that the carbs had a little time to possibly gravity feed some gas in. Oh, and if anybody is wondering i was able to push the bike the mile and a half back to my house in about 20 minutes...good thing I'm in good shape

Bikes:
    cbr900rr

Default Re: Another Fuel pump?

you will have to look into it more, but if you are having problems with your fuel pump, supposedly you can run it without a fuel pump, using the vacuum fitting below the carbs that is on the furthest left, it is a metal fitting/nipple, with a rubber cap over it. If it's true and you can run it gravity fed, you'll be all set until you find out what's going on.

Bikes:
    2005 R1, 2003 RC51, 1993 CBR 900rr, 2006 GSXR 1000,1989 GSXR 1100,2003 Yamaha vino, 2008 GSXR 600

I gravity feed my 93. Got rid of the fuel pump for weight savings, and I just ran the fuel line from tank to carbs, no need to use the vacuum off the carb.
    ASMA - CMRA #118

Bikes:
    1994 900 RR

I was going to try to just go straight around the fuel pump and into the carbs, it's good to hear somebody else who is already doing that....Not having to buy another $165 fuel pump, and weight savings! Sounds like a win to me!

Bikes:
    Honda CBR 1000 RR Fireblade ABS 2014

Yeah dont bother replacing the pump, they run fine with a gravity feed.
    Honda CBR900RR Fireblade, Suzuki SV1000s, Honda CB400 SF, Honda CBR600RR Hidden Content - GONE
    Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade ABS 2014 Hidden Content
    Forum moderator Hidden Content
    Valentino Rossi waving to me Hidden Content

Bikes:
    cbr900rr

The other day I joined the people not using a fuel pump, because of this post I was familiar with the issue and fixed it in 10 min on the side of the road.

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    CBR900RRN, Morini 3 1/2

My fuel pump has been sitting in a box for a couple of years (92 bike) and I haven't had any issues. However, I wonder if someone can confirm what my memory is telling me. That is, I read a few years back that Honda got rid of the fuel pump when they altered the shape of the tank. That is, they must have raised the base slightly to ensure that all of the tank was above the carbs. so it wasn't needed to get the final 1litre or so out of it. Can't remember exact details but I believe that the 918 engine introduction may have been the time things changed. With the 'two front mounting bolts' for the tank.

Anyone confirm?
    Dave
    Carpe diem ...

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR, '88 Hawk GT track bike

Sorry, can't help. But what is the issue? Worried about running out of fuel when out and about? Why not bring a small container of fuel with you and run it until it dies so you'll know how far you can go on the reserve. That's the only thing that has any meaning, right?

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    CBR900RRN, Morini 3 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
    Sorry, can't help. But what is the issue? Worried about running out of fuel when out and about? Why not bring a small container of fuel with you and run it until it dies so you'll know how far you can go on the reserve. That's the only thing that has any meaning, right?
    Yep, that's the sensible thing to do. However, at some stage, I want to go to town on the bike, new plastics, powder coated frame, etc. As my current tank needs respraying anyway I'd like to do the 'later tank' mod that Sime described here .... http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthr...20irreversible ... What I'd like to do is make sure that the tank I fit was one from when the fuel pump was not needed, which would make 'working out true reserve capacity' a moot point.

It's not a big deal as I've never run out yet ..... the operative word being 'yet' ....
    Dave
    Carpe diem ...

Bikes:
    cbr900rr

I have run my tank dry since removing the fuel pump . Good till the last drop.

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR, '88 Hawk GT track bike

Now that's good news!

Check the level with a match?

Bikes:
    cbr900rr '94

$4 a gallon is not that bad
    here in holland its like $7 dollars a gallon!!

Bikes:
    cbr900rr

Check the level with a match?

You try that and let us know how it turns out, before and after pics would be nice.

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    CBR900RRN, Morini 3 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by bmpyNUKS View Post
    I have run my tank dry since removing the fuel pump . Good till the last drop.
    Good to know. Maybe I'll give that a go sometime this summer.
    Note to self: remember to take can of spare fuel with me .....
    Dave
    Carpe diem ...

Not been here that long

I know this is awhile later but I just replaced my petcock off my 94 cbr900rr with a vacuum actives one that is used for gravity feeding, now Iím confused. I hooked the fuel line up to the petcock and the carbs and no fuel flow is occurring. How do I get the fuel to glow to the carbs to start up the bike?