Thread: Need threaded inserts for inside 98 900RR upper fairing tabs

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    04 Suzuki Hayabusa & 98 CBR900RR

Default Need threaded inserts for inside 98 900RR upper fairing tabs

I bought a used upper fairing for a 98 CBR900RR.It is missing the two(2) outer most(the bigger ones,both sides) threaded metal inserts that fit in the plastic tabs.Does anyone know if its possible to buy these metal inserts from Honda,or if not Honda, how do you repair the missing inserts?I would really appreciate any info.I'm attaching a photo that should show what I'm talking about.Click on the photo to enlarge the photo be able to see the empty tabs on the outer most sides.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98CBR900RR upper fairing.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	14545

Bikes:
    98 CBR900RR, 1986 GSXR750

Default Re: Need threaded inserts for inside 98 900RR upper fairing tabs

not sure what insert you asking about. i've had my 98 apart and the are no inserts in the upper fairing

RRzone Member

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbob View Post
    not sure what insert you asking about. i've had my 98 apart and the are no inserts in the upper fairing
    Go to my picture.Click on the image until it is as big as you can make it.look to the upper right & left of the headlight opening,there you will see a pair of Tabs with threaded inserts on both sides.The 2 inside are smaller than the outside.This is to which I was refering. If you look inside your upper fairing you cannot miss them.Of course,if you have everything connected they will be harder to see on your bike,but they are perfectly visible in my photo, when enlarged.

Bikes:
    2005 R1, 2003 RC51, 1993 CBR 900rr, 2006 GSXR 1000,1989 GSXR 1100,2003 Yamaha vino, 2008 GSXR 600

Not sure on what size you need, but check these out, you might find them on ebay.

http://www.timesert.com/

http://www.rivet-nut.com/Rivnut_Fasteners.asp

or you can find a wreck upper and salvage the nuts.
    ASMA - CMRA #118

Bikes:
    98 CBR900RR, 1986 GSXR750

see if this is what you are looking for. should be number 27. go to http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...614-upper-cowl

RRzone Member

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbob View Post
    see if this is what you are looking for. should be number 27. go to http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...614-upper-cowl
    #27 are for the mirror mounts.I know what I'm talking about.I went to my dealer and I talked to North America Honda customer service, Honda does not sell these(they apologize,but say you must buy the entire upper cowl)and they are not shown anywhere in the parts locater.Zoom in as much as you can and look to the upper right and left of the headlight opening and you will see 2 sets of tabs with threaded metal inserts in them.

Bikes:
    1998 Honda CBR900RR, 2005 Honda CBR1000RR, 2005 Suzuki GSX-R750

Those are for the screws that secure the left and right inner panels. I looked through the parts fiche but couldn't find them.

They are not a structural part of the upper, I bet you could fill those with some plastic JB weld and drill some new holes and use different screws. It won't match stock, but at least it will hold the inners in place.

Your other choice is to keep an eye out for some totally trashed, cheap uppers that still have those nuts embedding in the upper that you can remove and put in yours.
    Hidden Content
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.