Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Seating?

Bikes:
    98 Repsol Bodywork CBR900RR, 92 Plaid CBR600F2 Trackbike

Talking Best Seating?

If this thread has been done before, I apologize, but I couldn't find it...

Planning on upgrading my seating on the 98, and had two options. (That I know of)

1. The Corbin seat. Sat on them before, pretty comfy, but what about...
    2. Gel re-padding.

Obviously, #2 is cheaper, which appeals to me, and I'd like to think that the gel pads that a company such as Saddlemen makes would be perfect. But I'd like to hear from everyone what they have, if they like it or hate it, what they would have done, etc. Pricing and links are welcome too, of course. And I'm assuming that the gel would go on top of a layer of foam, or should it be just the gel pad? I plan to take the vinyl off my seat and re-pad it, unless I get enough feedback for the Corbin.

Thanks in advance!

Bikes:
    S1000RR, Acid green metallic

Default Re: Best Seating?

The 900 has the softest seats of the sportbike world. Well, maybe not, but it's pretty damn soft. Softer than the '01 R1, the '05 R1, '02 954, the 600RR (stock & Corbin), the F4i, the '00 GSXR600, the '04 GSXR1000, the '05 1000RR, um let me think of what other bikes I've sat my happy ass on. Anyhow, I think you need to just quit whining. GOSH!

Such a princess.

Bikes:

Talking Re: Best Seating?

Quote Originally Posted by 66droptop
    The 900 has the softest seats of the sportbike world. Well, maybe not, but it's pretty damn soft. Softer than the '01 R1, the '05 R1, '02 954, the 600RR (stock & Corbin), the F4i, the '00 GSXR600, the '04 GSXR1000, the '05 1000RR, um let me think of what other bikes I've sat my happy ass on. Anyhow, I think you need to just quit whining. GOSH!

Such a princess.
    ...not the type of reply I was expecting. Thanks a lot, Rob. Hey, why do you have so many blank lines in your reply, anyway???

All I know is that a ride up to Prescott and my butt is pretty sick of being on the seat. And I like long rides. I'll take your input as the "nothing will make it better, just toughen up" one. But I'm curious as to the best upgrade option for the tushy. We'll say "for the pillion seat" to get girls to ride on it. Will that make you happier?

Bikes:
    '01 CBR 929...Bumble Bee style

Well Corbin has had the reputation of having terrible customer service, but I was told by a sales rep that is going to be changing soon.

There is also Sargent Seats, which seem to be a little better than Corbin.

I am curious about a gel replacement, where can you get something like that?
    CalKidd
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar" - Mark Twain

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Calkidd
    I am curious about a gel replacement, where can you get something like that?
    www.saddlemen.com/gelpads.html

This is the only one I know of, and the product I'd get is the "Rawgel". I think it was somewhere in the range of $60-$90.

I also looked around at gel for people in wheelchairs, but the price wasn't much better, and it was "waffle" shaped, and I didn't know how good that would look or feel... Anyone have good links for inexpensive yet good gel? I'd really like to hear if anyone's already done this, and how it ended up...

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

I have the Corbin seat on my bike and I like it. It's not ultimately as comfortable as I thought it would be, but it is more comfortable on a long ride than my stock seat. I would buy one again.

Bikes:
    93 "945"/02 954

Yeah I definately like my corbin seat better than the stocker. I'm sure you don't "need" one right away. So just keep an eye out for one on ebay. I got mine from there for $120 shipped for the front AND rear seat.
    *2002 Red/Black 954*
    *2002 Silver/Red/Black RC-51*
    *1993 Telefonica/Movistar MotoGP replica 900*R.I.P.
    Hidden Content

Bikes:
    1998 Honda CBR900RR, 2005 Honda CBR1000RR, 2005 Suzuki GSX-R750

I love my Sargent front seat and rear cover:

http://www.rocketrr.com/mods/#seats

For the front, they have all kinds of options including sending your stock seat in for re-design. Or you can purchase a whole new seat like I did. They offer matching covers for the rear seat but I don't think anyone offers a more cushy pillion.
    Hidden Content
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    I love my Sargent front seat and rear cover:

http://www.rocketrr.com/mods/#seats

For the front, they have all kinds of options including sending your stock seat in for re-design. Or you can purchase a whole new seat like I did. They offer matching covers for the rear seat but I don't think anyone offers a more cushy pillion.
    Ok... But a question for you and sonik... After long rides, does it hurt? Like the vibrating hurt/numbness? I'm wondering if all the hype they have for gel seats is valid. (claim it gets rid of the vibration numbness altogether) Anyone out there have a gel seat that'd let me know what they think of it? There's some guys on eBay known as "Knoplace" that will pad your seat with gel and foam if you send it to them, something around 70~100 for labor and parts... And they also sell 3/8" gel pads at .32 / sq. in... That's my current favorite idea.

And is there much of a price diff between Corbin/Sargent?

Bikes:
    03 954rr+97 rs250r

I Have A Corbin And The Only Part I Didnt Like Is The Fit. There Is A Little Gap On The Left Side That You Could Put A Finger Into The Trunk. Otherwise The Feel Is Not Better On Short Trips And Doesnt Feal Softer But The Numbness And The Pain Is Gone So Thats All I Realy Need. I Ride 250-300 Miles In A Shot Sometimes And The Stocker Was Not Cutting It.

Bikes:
    '01 CBR 929...Bumble Bee style

Quote Originally Posted by jawhn
    Ok... But a question for you and sonik... After long rides, does it hurt? Like the vibrating hurt/numbness? I'm wondering if all the hype they have for gel seats is valid.
    Even with my stock seat I have never had numbness or vibrating.
    CalKidd
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar" - Mark Twain

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Calkidd
    Even with my stock seat I have never had numbness or vibrating.
    Well according to Rob, I'm just a wimp. Even on long rides, no sore butt? You must have more padding on ya, I'm a skinny guy, and after 150-200 miles, I want to stand up just to eat lunch... The thought of sitting is not an option for a good half hour or more...

I guess I'm saying I'll never enter an Iron Butt competition...

RRzone Elder

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by jawhn
    I guess I'm saying I'll never enter an Iron Butt competition...
    Oh, it's easy to fix Jawhn. You just need someone to pound on your butt for a little while and that will toughen it right up!!!

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Sime
    Oh, it's easy to fix Jawhn. You just need someone to pound on your butt for a little while and that will toughen it right up!!!

Sorry! Couldn't resist!
    Man I don't even WANT to know what you meant by that...

And yeah, the spacebar thing just gets funnier every time...

Bikes:
    2001 CBR929RR Erion; 2005 VTX 1300S

You guys are riding 150 - 200 miles before a break, now I feel like a big ol wimp!! Couple months back I took a ride about 400 miles each way. I had to stop about every 85 - 100 miles or I thought my right hand would fall off... Not to mention my azz felt like I'd been shot up with novocaine... Don't know if it made a difference but during that 85 - 100 mile trek, I was rarely running less than 80... I literally ran the tires off on that trip. I got home and the next day came out to clean the bike up, and the rear was flat... Not sure how I made it home on it, but glad I did!! I wonder if I hadn't been running that fast, if the tire would've still stayed up...? Guess I'll never know... Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread...

So, does anybody have an opinion (hahaha) on the Corbin vs the Sergeant seat?? Cause one of them will be on my bike before another ride like that...

jeff
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough... Hidden Content Hidden Content

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

I have a corbin and I like it. Yeah you do get a bit sore after long miles but it tends to cup the cheeks better than a stocker. I have never sat on a Sargent. I got the smooth leather on mine so in jeans there is a little slippage but in my leather suit grips pretty good
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content

Bikes:
    97 900RR

I've got a corbin on my 97 900 and love it! It took some getting used to and it takes a while for it to break-in but very nice on long trips. A week after I bought it I rode 8 hours to Deals Gap in NC and swore it was a waste of money but by the time I got back home I loved it! Customer service seemed great and the quality of the seat is awesome. I looked at the Sargent seat which was slightly cheaper but I didnt like the looks of it.

Todd

Bikes:
    98 600F3, 95 900RR, 05 R1

I love the Corbin on my 900RR. It makes a huge difference. It definatly took alittle getting used to. If anyone is looking I have an extra 900RR Corbin seat for sale here: http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610

Not been here that long bjay51d's Avatar

Bikes:
    02 954 with a few mods

I sat on corbin and didnt like it.I went with sargent and really love it.It really made a difference with my rearsets I feel like I'm riding a blackbird

RRzone Elder

Bikes:
    2002 CBR954

My wife has a gel pad that sits on top of her seat (93 EX-500). She really likes it on longer rides.

I personally think the 954 seat is reasonably comfortable. I've done 350 mile days and think its fine.
    2002 CBR954 Black/Silver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast