Thread: factory pro airbox plus kit, air box mod

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    1993 CBR900RR

Default factory pro airbox plus kit, air box mod

I have purchased this kit, I figured this would be better then the home made viking mod. When I get the kit I will try to put together a how to guide with pictures and thoughts on how it feels with the trusty butt dyno as I am too cheap to pay for a real dyno. I am also advancing the timing by +4. This is a recommended mod with the apk install. Feedback during this would be great and when done I would be happy to answer questions.

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR now for the track; '88 Hawk GT will be back on the road come Spring

Default Re: factory pro airbox plus kit, air box mod

First bit of feedback for you:

YES! Please do it and please keep us informed. Any chance of a "before" video with sound and an "after" video with sound?

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    1993 CBR900RR

Sure thing, if requested I can try to do the mod on camera also if it is requested. I am sure everyone here knows how to jet a bike. But would do the jetting if wanted.

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR now for the track; '88 Hawk GT will be back on the road come Spring

You might as well record the whole damn thing! No harm done.

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    1993 CBR900RR

Took the air box off and started the mod. Took the carbs off and they are pretty gummed up with old bad gas. But every thing is coming apart nicely and the service manual is a huge help thank you to the admin for making it available.

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    1993 CBR900RR

I have started the mod, I am not recording everything as I think pictures can do more. Plus I have a face made for radio why do you think I were a full face helmet. So I discovered that the fuel pump was missing from my 92 when working on it. It seems to run great but I do notice the motor stumbles a bit on acceleration but this may also be due to bad jetting. When I complete this mod with the proper jet I will post my results but also any opinions on just keeping a gravity feed. it seems I am able to run the tank dry with no issue. I have been able to do over 20 miles on reserve with out running out. so I know fuel is coming down but is it rapid enough to prevent stumbling.
    thanks

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    CBR900RRN, Morini 3 1/2

I too have a 92 with no fuel pump and have no problems with "stumbling". The motor is also "tuned" (134bhp at the wheel) so carbs have been jetted to suit. Runs the standard airbox with a K&N filter.
    Dave
    Carpe diem ...

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    1993 CBR900RR

Cool, the jetting is likely off because this started after I put on a slip on pipe with a BMC filter and stock jets. I haven't given since I started the mod. Thank you for the info

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    1993 CBR900RR

OK I am getting close to finished, no video because the fuel air screws were seized had to have a shop pull them. But I have a before video and will have an after video. And will disclose all the jets used and how I finally tuned it.

Bikes:

Looking forward to seeing them

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    1993 CBR900RR

OKAY the dealership is taking forever with my Carbs. been 4 days now and all they had to do was un-seize my air fuel mix screws. I do not know how the jetting is yet so I have no recommendations at this point, but the air box mod is a must to have a dremel tool. it is messy and took forever to clean the air box but I think it will be worth it. Factory has great support as well when you call them they have a person answer the phone not a computer and the rep was very knowledgeable about both what the kit did and how to install it but also seems to know a lot about fireblades.

Bikes:
    Street: 1997 Honda CBR900RR, Track: 1999 Suzuki SV650

I run the Factory airbox plus kit and ignition advancer with a full Two Brothers exhaust and it's about as good as it gets without doing motor work to the bike.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

RRzone Member

Bikes:
    1993 CBR900RR

Just have to ask with the apk and the timing advance do you have to run high test gas?