Thread: 96 cbr 900

Not been here that long

Default 96 cbr 900

I need to pick the brains of the 900 guru's out there if I can. Long story short I got screwed by a local shop who had my 900 for 3.5 years and just got it back today. When the bike went in the shop, it ran great and had new plugs installed right before (what started the whole problem). While it was in the petcock started leaking, doused everything in fuel, and evidently filled the engine as well. Also the shop dropped the bike cracking the stator and dumping a ton of oil/fuel out on the ground. I got the bike home after almost a fist fight, jb welded the leaking stator and petcock and tried to start it just to make sure it had nothing else wrong. I can get it to fire on occasion and run for a second but then it dies. New battery so I know it has plenty of juice. Does this sound like the plugs are fouled? Im guessing so, but before I go through the headache of trying to pull them again I wanted second opinions.

Not been here that long

Default Re: 96 cbr 900

forgot to add that it is also backfiring on occasion, and the carbs were cleaned.

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR, '88 Hawk GT track bike (both back in Canada) 2007 V-Strom 1000 in Dubai

If the petcock leaked, no fuel would get into the crankcase. That would only happen if the fuel made its way through one or more of the carbs and into the cylinders. So I think you have a float bowl problem. I'm guessing that if you pulled the plugs you would find them wet.

Not been here that long

Quote Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
    If the petcock leaked, no fuel would get into the crankcase. That would only happen if the fuel made its way through one or more of the carbs and into the cylinders. So I think you have a float bowl problem. I'm guessing that if you pulled the plugs you would find them wet.
    Yeah the carbs were pretty nasty but they have been cleaned. I pulled the plugs after the kids went to bed last night, and they were all wet and smelled like old gas. After attempting to clean them, it tried to start but was backfiring like crazy. Going to try some new plugs and see if that gets it. I mainly want to get it running before draining everything, crating it up and moving across country. Were moving to the Phoenix area at the end up July, so I will be looking for a shop to do some work on the bike there. I have new springs and other things that I paid for the previous shop didn't install. Im getting close to just getting rid of the old girl and getting another fuel injected bike.

Bikes:
    Another '98 CBR 900 RR, '88 Hawk GT track bike (both back in Canada) 2007 V-Strom 1000 in Dubai

The new plugs will make a big difference then, I would suspect. Unless there is still a float bowl problem that hasn't been sorted completely.

Not been here that long Handbanana's Avatar

Bikes:
    1996 CBR900RR 2012 VN900SE

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
    Kill all tires!

Not been here that long

Quote Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
    I changed the plugs and got it to run as long as I held the throttle open but it would not idle. I then found more damage that the shop caused so she will have to sit even longer. Were in the process of moving across country so once we are settled in I will tear back into the girl. It breaks my heart to see the bike in this condition, I babied this thing the entire time I owned it and it is filthy and leaking fluids all because a so called friend decided to screw me over. I have to buy a new petcock, re-polish the frame (because the guy spilled something on it), find a new stator cover, have all the new suspension parts (I paid for once to be installed) to be installed, change all the fluids, find out why there is now a twist in the tree, and hope that seafoam will fix my idle issue or I have to pay to have the carbs done AGAIN! It makes me so sick to look at the girl I have considered getting rid of it and finding a new hobby.

Not been here that long Handbanana's Avatar

Bikes:
    1996 CBR900RR 2012 VN900SE

Well im really sorry to hear that. I hate friends like that. I hope your move goes well and that I didnt ruin your day in any way.
    Kill all tires!

Not been here that long

Well here it is 4 years later and I finally got it running again. Hauled it across the country and back, been in storage about 2 years, etc, etc, etc. Running into an issue I cant seem to narrow down. The bike is hesitant to take off from a start but runs fine until about 5k rpm. From 5k to 7k it spits sputters, and falls on its face. After 7k it runs like hell and tries to throw you off. Ive ran the jets and needles through an ultrasonic, new plugs, running 91 octane with sea foam in it. I can not track down what the issue is, anyone out there run into this problem before?

Bikes:
    2006 CBR1000RR -- had 1999 CBR 900 Black, 1995 CBR 600F3, Had 1985 Interceptor 500

Bent valve(s) leading to possible valve job.

Sounds a little something like what happened to my 99, sucked a valve into the head (valve had a new ring around the seat that should not have been there) so my fuel and seal was all out of whack until I got higher up in the RPMs. When it stuttered felt like I had run out of gas. I think they can do a "leak down test" (??) to see if it could be the valves

Don't mean to scare ya (and too lazy to re-read the previous threads) so that is my 2 cents . . . but now I know why people always give me change back !!!
    When life hands you lemons . . . cut'em up . . . put'em in a Corona . . . and drink. Problem solved !! Hidden Content