Thread: rod bearing replacement

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    99 superhawk / 94 CBR 900RR

Default rod bearing replacement

I was wondering how difficult it is or if you can replace the bearing for just one rod? I own a 99 vtr1000f superhawk and picked up a 94 cbr900rr with aftermarket performance cams and a performance crank with stage 2 jetted carbs. It had been sitting for a while. I bought it knowing that there was a knock in the engine but with the upgrades even if I have to spend a grand to fix it i'll still be doing good.The motor still runs but knocks from what i've been reading it's most likely the #3 rod bearings. can I just replace the #3 rod bearing by using a micrometer to get the size needed? i have replaced just rod bearings on cars before but now sure how that works on a zero tolerance motor? i have all the tools i would need and i have rebuilt both heads on the superhawk due to cct failure.

thanks for any input.

Default Re: rod bearing replacement

I really wouldn't recommend trying it, its very unusual for a motor to have a rod knock and not damage the crank and rod. Not sure what it has for a crank but the stock 900 ones seem to be made out of a butter/jello mix so best bet is going to be pull the crank and check the journal with a micrometer to see if it is still round and replace the rod or have the big end resized otherwise you will probably be taking it back apart again very soon.

Not been here that long

Bikes:
    99 superhawk / 94 CBR 900RR

Default Re: rod bearing replacement

The guy I bought it from said he had a shop put in a performance crank and he had driven it about 80 miles and it started knocking. He took it back to the shop but they said that they don't warranty preformance parts. So he sold it to me. I was just wondering if I could pull the crank and replace just the rod bearings and use the main bearings that it is using now. after making sure the crank isn't damaged. Because a new crank is $1000!